• Mar 14th, 2018 11:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2337 posts
88 upvotes
Burlington

09' Mazda 6 GT Summer Tires 235/45ZR18 Suggestions

First time changing out my tires on this car and having a hard time stomaching the fact that I'm being quoted about $1000-$1400 depending on tires to get it done. The recommended spec appears to be W rated tires, 94 load and that seems to limit it to just summer tires and usually on the higher performance side.

A lot of the reviews I've seen are saying these tires burn tread fast which sorta sucks at this price. Does anyone have some good recommendations? Costco seems to have a couple bridgestone and one pirelli and I like the nitrogen idea but wont lose sleep if I can get them at a better price elsewhere.
9 replies
Nov 26, 2014
76 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It depends what you're trying to get out of the tire. Do your performance? Longer Lasting?

Anyway, i'd suggest you check out SimplyTire website. They range from $460 to $1,010 before taxes for a set of 4.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2337 posts
88 upvotes
Burlington
jerbhu wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 12:25 pm
It depends what you're trying to get out of the tire. Do your performance? Longer Lasting?

Anyway, i'd suggest you check out SimplyTire website. They range from $460 to $1,010 before taxes for a set of 4.
Preferably something longer lasting not track racing the car or anything. I don't mind a decent performance tire as long as it lasts.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21157 posts
2128 upvotes
I've stuck with Hankook and haven't been disappointed......
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22610 posts
3022 upvotes
DarkMasterMX wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 11:02 pm
Preferably something longer lasting not track racing the car or anything. I don't mind a decent performance tire as long as it lasts.
Track tyres are a very specific segment of consumer tyres. You have either strict track tyres which are not street legal (and aren't what you'd find at most tyre shops), then you have "DOT legal" near-slicks (which are largely used for drag strip), and then you have tyres that might be used for light track use but are really intended for things like auto-x. None of these would you confuse with tyres you are looking for, mainly due to price and also having to specifically seek these out to begin with. Tyres in this group usually have treadwear ratings of 200 or less and some (the ones not designed for or legal for street use at all) won't have UTGQ rating at all since it's not required.

That said this is the exact same tyre size on my buddy's Accord, and there are a lot of no-season choices (which I'd never recommend anyone buy) but not that many summer options. Using TireRack as a guide and without going to the very expensive Pilot Sport 4S, you have only a few choices--Kumho Ecsta PS31, BFG G-Force Sport Comp2, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, and Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. These all have 340 treadwear rating except the Kumho which is 400. (Of course keep in mind this doesn't always translate into anything meaningful in the real world--reading reviews is a better idea.) This is more or less half of what most no-season tyres have for treadwear ratings but they aren't of course garbage like those are lol. All mentioned are midrange summer tyres and would fit the bill and not break the bank (well considering you do have a car with 18" wheels here and aren't driving a base Corolla on 15s or something, lol). This size is a tad expensive in terms of non-performance-car 18" but it's not anything too out there--~$1000 (tax/mount/balance/all-in) is average/expected.

My preference would be the BFG or Firestones out of those four but I actually think any of the four would be fine. If you're concerned about tread wear again reviews are your best bet to determine how well they do as the UTQG rating is hit and miss in its accuracy (which is to say it's not a good measure at all). Keep in mind these are summer tyres so you do need to have winter tyres but this is no different for owning/driving a car where there is winter anyway, so I assume you already have winters.

As said there are many no-seasons for this vehicle as well (probably not W rated though) but I won't mention those specifically because I don't ever recommend anyone drive with such nonsense.
Jan 18, 2017
214 posts
48 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 8:58 am
That said this is the exact same tyre size on my buddy's Accord, and there are a lot of no-season choices (which I'd never recommend anyone buy) but not that many summer options. Using TireRack as a guide and without going to the very expensive Pilot Sport 4S, you have only a few choices--Kumho Ecsta PS31, BFG G-Force Sport Comp2, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, and Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. These all have 340 treadwear rating except the Kumho which is 400. (Of course keep in mind this doesn't always translate into anything meaningful in the real world--reading reviews is a better idea.) This is more or less half of what most no-season tyres have for treadwear ratings but they aren't of course garbage like those are lol. All mentioned are midrange summer tyres and would fit the bill and not break the bank (well considering you do have a car with 18" wheels here and aren't driving a base Corolla on 15s or something, lol). This size is a tad expensive in terms of non-performance-car 18" but it's not anything too out there--~$1000 (tax/mount/balance/all-in) is average/expected.
Definitely Firehawks!
Dec 1, 2006
700 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Did you end up getting any of these? I'm interested in some aswell. Just wondering what pricing you found so far if any.

Interested in these also
Firestone FIREHAWK 500
BF Goodrich G-Force COMP 2

Quoted by Greenleaf Tire
PirelliCinturato P7, $768.00 taxes all included and $60 mail and rebate between March 1-15
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2337 posts
88 upvotes
Burlington
bloodylankan wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 8:15 am
Did you end up getting any of these? I'm interested in some aswell. Just wondering what pricing you found so far if any.

Interested in these also
Firestone FIREHAWK 500
BF Goodrich G-Force COMP 2

Quoted by Greenleaf Tire
PirelliCinturato P7, $768.00 taxes all included and $60 mail and rebate between March 1-15
I haven't yet, wanted to do some digging before I dove in, checked a few places CT, Costco, Mazda locally all were floating around $1000. Hoping I'll have a bit more time to check in the next week or two but its been pretty busy for me at work.
Dec 1, 2006
700 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
DarkMasterMX wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 9:40 am
I haven't yet, wanted to do some digging before I dove in, checked a few places CT, Costco, Mazda locally all were floating around $1000. Hoping I'll have a bit more time to check in the next week or two but its been pretty busy for me at work.
I actually just found a deal through a friend for some
Goodyear Eagle f1 asymmetric 2 127/tire (regularly 236). They are clearing them out so I'm considering them now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2337 posts
88 upvotes
Burlington
bloodylankan wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:30 pm
I actually just found a deal through a friend for some
Goodyear Eagle f1 asymmetric 2 127/tire (regularly 236). They are clearing them out so I'm considering them now.
Decent reviews, medium ware but that seems par for the course on these types of tires. Wana share the contact?