• Dec 8th, 2017 5:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 6, 2013
483 posts
31 upvotes
WATERLOO

1.5 Hr YVR layover

about to book a flight for my parents and there is a 1.5 hour layover in Vancouver YVR on the way to Toronto YYZ. the flight will be coming from Maui on Air Canada. is 1.5 hours enough time for them to clear customs and make it to their departing flight to Toronto or will it be tight? is there a way to ask air canada for help to ensure they make their connecting flight?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1000 posts
285 upvotes
Winnipeg
1.5 hrs is cutting it tight.

are they experienced travelers? are they fit & fast when it comes to rushing through things, etc? these things matter a lot. even a slight half an hour delay in arrival at Vancouver is going to make sure they miss their connecting flight. i'd say if you are in doubt, dont book it.

regarding help, you can ask them to get a porter as they need to pick their checked in bags and bring it to customs. they can get assistance or the airport shuttle can get them to their gate. but i dont know how is that arranged. even if you arrange for it, dont rely on it.
Dec 23, 2015
192 posts
153 upvotes
They might want to wear some elbow pads when de-boarding and maybe some $20 bills to move ahead of people in the customs line.
Dec 9, 2012
82 posts
53 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
If Air Canada shows that connection flight, then 1.5 hour is good. With Air Canada, luggage will be checked directly to YYZ.

I just went through YVR for a transit with Air Canada last week. When I arrived YVR, on the way to the customs, there were airport staff asking if the passengers were going to a connection flight, and giving me a yellow sign showing Fast Lane Connect Flight etc. (can't remember exactly what it says). Arriving the customs with that sign, there is a special lineup for passengers with the sign.

YVR customs uses machines now. Need to scan the picture page of the passport on the machine. And take a picture in front of the machine at the end. I took two pictures but they didn't work. Then I took the printed document from the machine and went to the exit/ entrance for transit. There would be customs staff to collect the paper and no problem with me even I didn't have picture on the paper.

Total was 30 to 40 minutes. Three things to remember:
- there is a special lineup at the customs for transit passengers, if not sure, ask the airport staff
- not to worry if the customs machine couldn't take pictures
- there is special exit/entrance (which is taking an elevator) for transit flights and your parents don't need to pick up luggage.
Oct 6, 2015
885 posts
433 upvotes
AC has many flights a day YVR-YYZ. If they allow you to book a connection, you will either make it, or they will deal with you appropriately.

Haven't been through YVR coming in from the states for a while, but you might not even have to collect your bags anymore if its like YYZ and the bags are checked through.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1000 posts
285 upvotes
Winnipeg
burnt69 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:33 pm
AC has many flights a day YVR-YYZ. If they allow you to book a connection, you will either make it, or they will deal with you appropriately.
Yes, definitely check AC flights after the one you are looking at right now. Even if you miss, they will put them in a later flight (if there are seats).
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1000 posts
285 upvotes
Winnipeg
bcbcbc wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:21 pm
If Air Canada shows that connection flight, then 1.5 hour is good. With Air Canada, luggage will be checked directly to YYZ.

I just went through YVR for a transit with Air Canada last week. When I arrived YVR, on the way to the customs, there were airport staff asking if the passengers were going to a connection flight, and giving me a yellow sign showing Fast Lane Connect Flight etc. (can't remember exactly what it says). Arriving the customs with that sign, there is a special lineup for passengers with the sign.

YVR customs uses machines now. Need to scan the picture page of the passport on the machine. And take a picture in front of the machine at the end. I took two pictures but they didn't work. Then I took the printed document from the machine and went to the exit/ entrance for transit. There would be customs staff to collect the paper and no problem with me even I didn't have picture on the paper.

Total was 30 to 40 minutes. Three things to remember:
- there is a special lineup at the customs for transit passengers, if not sure, ask the airport staff
- not to worry if the customs machine couldn't take pictures
- there is special exit/entrance (which is taking an elevator) for transit flights and your parents don't need to pick up luggage.
When you enter Canada, you always had to pick up baggage at the point of entry and check in to the domestic flight. Concept was your baggage needs to be with you when you see the CBSA officer.
http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navigat ... ger-guides

However, even my friend told me about some new process about auto-checking. I wasnt clear as to what he said. Maybe that what you are describing.
Dec 9, 2012
82 posts
53 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
amitdi wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:28 pm
When you enter Canada, you always had to pick up baggage at the point of entry and check in to the domestic flight. Concept was your baggage needs to be with you when you see the CBSA officer.
http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navigat ... ger-guides

However, even my friend told me about some new process about auto-checking. I wasnt clear as to what he said. Maybe that what you are describing.
Yes, that only happened to me on an Air Canada to Air Canada connection flight at YVR, either going to US or coming back to Canada, I didn't need to pick up baggage. I do remember I need to pick up baggage at Toronto when I flew from BC to NYC via Toronto last year and it was with West Jet.

When I arrived YVR last week, the flight attendants said Canadians don't need to fill out the customs entry form and all customs are done by the machine. So when I went to the line-up, there were more than 10 machines there, which are similar to the airline auto check in machines. The machine will print the information after scanning your passport.
Dec 9, 2012
82 posts
53 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
This is what they call: Canadian residents and Canadian passport holders can use the Automated Border Clearance kiosks.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1483 posts
401 upvotes
Victoria
ballashotcaller wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:59 pm
about to book a flight for my parents and there is a 1.5 hour layover in Vancouver YVR on the way to Toronto YYZ. the flight will be coming from Maui on Air Canada. is 1.5 hours enough time for them to clear customs and make it to their departing flight to Toronto or will it be tight? is there a way to ask air canada for help to ensure they make their connecting flight?
OP be very careful - if you miss your connection, Air Canada will put you on standy for future flights but that's it. So, if the next open seats on a flight to Toronto aren't until the next day, you'll be responsible for any hotel, food costs, etc. As others have mentioned, it is very tight. I would take the risk but I've had to suffer the consequences of a missed connection due to long line at customs before so just really understand the risks and be prepared for it.
Oct 6, 2015
885 posts
433 upvotes
MaxPower19 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:55 pm
OP be very careful - if you miss your connection, Air Canada will put you on standy for future flights but that's it. So, if the next open seats on a flight to Toronto aren't until the next day, you'll be responsible for any hotel, food costs, etc.
Not true. If AC's inbound is delayed making a connection to an available flight impossible, AC provides meal vouchers, hotel, etc., until they get you out of there.
As others have mentioned, it is very tight. I would take the risk but I've had to suffer the consequences of a missed connection due to long line at customs before so just really understand the risks and be prepared for it.
1.5 hours is not very tight.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1483 posts
401 upvotes
Victoria
burnt69 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:10 pm
Not true. If AC's inbound is delayed making a connection to an available flight impossible, AC provides meal vouchers, hotel, etc., until they get you out of there.

1.5 hours is not very tight.
We're talking about customs delays not flight delays. Please read the entire thread to understand the OP's concerns before providing false information.

Have you ever connected from international to domestic at YVR before? What is the fastest you have done it? I would be shocked if you've beat 40 minutes.

If your first flight is on time and you miss your connection, Air Canada will put you on standby for future flights but not reimburse you for any expenses as a result of the delay.
Oct 6, 2015
885 posts
433 upvotes
MaxPower19 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:37 pm
We're talking about customs delays not flight delays. Please read the entire thread to understand the OP's concerns before providing false information.

Have you ever connected from international to domestic at YVR before? What is the fastest you have done it? I would be shocked if you've beat 40 minutes.
Many times. Hawaii is transborder. 1.5 hours is plenty of time. AC's minimum connection time is quoted at 70 minutes. The connection exceeds that.
If your first flight is on time and you miss your connection, Air Canada will put you on standby for future flights but not reimburse you for any expenses as a result of the delay.
If the first flight is an on-time arrival, there's 90 minutes to get to the next which is more than adequate. If the first flight is delayed breaking the connection, AC pays for it all. I've had this happen to me due to a mechanical delay. Received a new boarding pass on my mobile as soon as my phone acquired the signal after hitting the ground.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6639 posts
97 upvotes
Port Moody
no issue with this layover time of 1.5
[OP]
Jan 6, 2013
483 posts
31 upvotes
WATERLOO
I ended up paying the extra $200 for a 3hr layover for peace of mind.

thanks for feedback