Off Topic Archive

Locked: 1-800 number for health questions? (Pregnancy)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2008 11:47 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 19, 2005
323 posts
Gatineau, Quebec

1-800 number for health questions? (Pregnancy)

Long story short, girlfriend missed her period, but was pretty heavily on cortisol last month and missed a few pills, so we're worried. She took a pregnancy test which came back negative, but we'd like to speak to someone about it to make sure nothing is going on, and to confirm that cortisol does in fact mess up periods.

Is there a help-line we can call? We'll see a doctor, but she's working remotely right now a few hours away from here and won't be back until Sunday and we're pretty stressed about it.

[EDIT] I found this, but it's for Northwest Territories. The FAQ says there are similar services for other provinces.
Daedal
Steel Frog Media
Web publisher, graphic & web designer

HEAT (13-0-0)
eBay (18-0-0)
XBOX Live: steelfrogg
PSN: steelfrog
Share:
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
inquiring about a health condition like yours over the phone=asking your question on a deal forum

....even if you found a number, no one can give you a definite answer based on what you said...there are testing needs to be done....even if she didn't miss her pill, she still have the chance to get pregnant after having unprotected sex...........if you want an accurate answer..you have no choice but to go to a doctor
;)
[OP]
Dec 19, 2005
323 posts
Gatineau, Quebec
That's what I figured. Too bad she's so far away; guess we'll have to live with the stress for now.
Daedal
Steel Frog Media
Web publisher, graphic & web designer

HEAT (13-0-0)
eBay (18-0-0)
XBOX Live: steelfrogg
PSN: steelfrog
Apr 30, 2007
877 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
You can try calling bout like the above posters said, they aren't going to tell you much and just tell you to go see a doctor...
My RFD Office Hours: 9AM - 5PM M-F

"Let's Hug it out B!tch" - Ari Gold :twisted: - Entourage!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
Brandon wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 11:18 am
It's for Ontario, but they'll probably tell you that you need to see a doctor.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/pub ... th_mn.html
For Telehealth Ontario, OP cannot call and inquire about anything for his gf because of confidentiality....besides...OP is in Quebec
;)
Feb 9, 2008
130 posts
5 upvotes
Get the gf to call

"Free Access to a Registered Nurse — 24 Hours a day, 7 days a Week.
Now help is close at hand. You do not need to provide your health insurance number and all information is confidential. It doesn't hurt to call.

1-866-797-0000 TTY : 1-866-797-0007 "
"Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
So why doesn't she just visit a walk-in clinic where she is? She can have a blood test run for pregnancy and talk to a doctor...
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1630 posts
58 upvotes
Southern ontario
CSK'sMom wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 11:35 am
So why doesn't she just visit a walk-in clinic where she is? She can have a blood test run for pregnancy and talk to a doctor...
agreed. you can wait another 4-6 days and take the home kit test again. Also depends how late she is.

another thing....if you are not sure, and you think you will keep the baby, ask her to start taking materna (vitamin pills for pregnant women)
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
daedal wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 10:52 am
Long story short, girlfriend missed her period, but was pretty heavily on cortisol last month and missed a few pills, so we're worried. She took a pregnancy test which came back negative, but we'd like to speak to someone about it to make sure nothing is going on, and to confirm that cortisol does in fact mess up periods.

Is there a help-line we can call? We'll see a doctor, but she's working remotely right now a few hours away from here and won't be back until Sunday and we're pretty stressed about it.

[EDIT] I found this, but it's for Northwest Territories. The FAQ says there are similar services for other provinces.
Does she have a family doctor? My family doctor has a resedent on call 24/7, so try calling your's. If not, go to a doctor as close to her as possible. Thats really all you can do.

I know what your feeling right now, as I've been in the situation where my gf took some drugs wrong and then missed her period. You never know what the outcome will be, but you may as well talk to a doctor as soon as possible. Calling telehealth ontario was a huge help to us, but it does not seems that quebec has a similar service.
Jul 31, 2006
133 posts
CSK'sMom wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 11:35 am
Blood test eh? Might wanna crack open a science text book once in a while.
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Medici wrote:
Aug 17th, 2008 1:26 pm
Blood test eh? Might wanna crack open a science text book once in a while.
Maybe you should do even the slightest bit of research before posting eh. Blood pregnancy tests are much more sensitive and reduce the false negative numbers dramatically due to the lack of user error with home pregnancy tests. Here's a fairly easy explanation of the difference between the two... http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/pregtest.htm. OB's tend to always order the blood test as a confirmation when a patient calls after using a HPT. Personally I'd never rely on a HPT because of my own history. My hCG levels tend to be on the low side of norm making a HPT virtually useless.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
As above there are two ways to evaluate using hCG. The first and most common are mainly qualitative urine assays. They are sensitive, accurate and quick (hence their use in ER's etc). These answers are more yes/no.

For monitoring and evaluating the early stages of the pregnancy (i.e. if being monitored as part of a fertility program), then a serum sample run on a Immunochemistry analayzer (i.e. Centaur/Axom/Architect) will provide a more accurate quantitative count which is used for the doubling rates.

Overall, to determine pregnancy, the urine tests are fine.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
joo3ani wrote:
Aug 15th, 2008 11:33 am
Get the gf to call

"Free Access to a Registered Nurse — 24 Hours a day, 7 days a Week.
Now help is close at hand. You do not need to provide your health insurance number and all information is confidential. It doesn't hurt to call.

1-866-797-0000 TTY : 1-866-797-0007 "
Lol,
called them last year about something and they were VERY insistent on getting my health # before answering anything.
And yup...their basic answer is "see a doctor".
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1154 posts
143 upvotes
North York
You could also try Motherisk, they're pretty good in terms of all things pregnancy and newborns related. They're based out of the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.

(416) 813-6780
× < >