Personal Finance

#1 reason to get a Visa Infinite card...

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2010 11:52 pm
Banned
Jun 22, 2009
704 posts
7 upvotes
Gotham City

#1 reason to get a Visa Infinite card...

I think everyone should try to get the Visa Infinite card. The #1 reason that I got it is because it has Out-of-Province Travel Medical Insurance.

Everyone takes road trips to the US or travels once in a while. Having instant health insurance crossing the US border makes me feel financially secure. It's worth the annual fee for sure.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6409 posts
59 upvotes
It's a great card. I usually make it back by using 5-600 bucks worth of aeroplan rewards each year.
-
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
You can also buy multi-trip insurance from many brokers for a relatively low cost as well.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
1567 posts
1264 upvotes
Also, some company health benefit plans include out of province health coverage.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
JUnit wrote: Also, some company health benefit plans include out of province health coverage.
What you have to watch out for is that if you have multiple overlapping insurance plans and then get injured, the insurance companies may spend the whole time arguing with each other as to who is the primary provider while you lie there in hospital.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1787 posts
179 upvotes
When I was reading about the benefits, its very good. I thought the Platinum was good but not that good.

I think the Trip Interruption is good as well, I'm not sure if this is only for Infinite or others have it.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
funboi22 wrote: I think everyone should try to get the Visa Infinite card. The #1 reason that I got it is because it has Out-of-Province Travel Medical Insurance.

Everyone takes road trips to the US or travels once in a while. Having instant health insurance crossing the US border makes me feel financially secure. It's worth the annual fee for sure.
But only good for the first 15 days of any trip....for those of working with half decent medical plans, our travel insurance is already superior to that offered by the Visa Program....
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
nalababe wrote: But only good for the first 15 days of any trip....for those of working with half decent medical plans, our travel insurance is already superior to that offered by the Visa Program....
Agreed. My Great West Life insurance through my company already covers me for out of Canada medical. I suspect most people's plans would do this.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12181 posts
5650 upvotes
Ottawa
brunes wrote: Agreed. My Great West Life insurance through my company already covers me for out of Canada medical. I suspect most people's plans would do this.
+1. Any credit card that requires annual fee needs to have superior benefits/perks/cashbacks for me to consider signing up.

I got out-of-the-country medical coverage through work and this is definitely not a reason for me to pay the annual fee for any Infinite CC.

Your mileage may vary.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4175 posts
1483 upvotes
Calgary
I wish one of Infinite's features is being able to see temporary transactions that had not been posted on real time. If it did, I would have switched my cards right away
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
casperr wrote: I wish one of Infinite's features is being able to see temporary transactions that had not been posted on real time. If it did, I would have switched my cards right away
i think it really depends if the bank wants to show the trx right away, not on visa or the type of card.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
1567 posts
1264 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: i think it really depends if the bank wants to show the trx right away, not on visa or the type of card.
Yup, the banks probably figure that showing the temp authorizations causes more confusion. "Why do I see this $100 charge for gas? I only spent $30."
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
JUnit wrote: Yup, the banks probably figure that showing the temp authorizations causes more confusion. "Why do I see this $100 charge for gas? I only spent $30."
MBNA has always done it, and I doubtit causes any such problems. It's one of the best features they offer.

I really don't understand why the other banks don't do this.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
well your avaliable credit limit is automatically decreased after a trx anyway, i dont see it as a big deal if they display the temp trx or not. The function is nice to have, but I dont think it's a big deal.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
nalababe wrote: But only good for the first 15 days of any trip....for those of working with half decent medical plans, our travel insurance is already superior to that offered by the Visa Program....
The TD website says the medical insurance only covers you for 8 days including the departure and arrival days. No indication that it covers your family members.
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdvisa/features.jsp#tmi

I definitely agree that it is important to have out of province coverage when travelling, and the travel insurance included with this card may meet the needs of some but wouldn't be enough for me. I've purchased TD travel insurance for about $150. Covers us for trips up to 17 days and covers my whole family.
Banned
Jun 22, 2009
704 posts
7 upvotes
Gotham City
JWL wrote: The TD website says the medical insurance only covers you for 8 days including the departure and arrival days. No indication that it covers your family members.
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdvisa/features.jsp#tmi

I definitely agree that it is important to have out of province coverage when travelling, and the travel insurance included with this card may meet the needs of some but wouldn't be enough for me. I've purchased TD travel insurance for about $150. Covers us for trips up to 17 days and covers my whole family.
the RBC infinite card gives me family coverage...

"Covered person means any of the following persons who have a valid government
health insurance plan: the applicant, the applicant's spouse, and/or the applicant’s
dependent child who travels with or joins the applicant and/or the applicant's spouse on
the same trip. An additional cardholder is a covered person in his/her own right. A
covered person may be referred to as "you" or "your" or "yourself". The spouse and/or
dependent child of an additional cardholder are not eligible for this insurance, unless they
are otherwise covered as described above (the applicant, the applicant's spouse, and/or
the applicant’s dependent child who travels with or joins the applicant and/or the
applicant's spouse on the same trip)."
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: well your avaliable credit limit is automatically decreased after a trx anyway, i dont see it as a big deal if they display the temp trx or not. The function is nice to have, but I dont think it's a big deal.
It is very annoying especially when you travel because sometimes these charges can sit on the account for over a week before the post, and you have no idea if what is on your card is somewhere you actually were at or not, or if the authorization is accurate.

IE by the time you are reporting a fraudulent transaction, it is two weeks old.

With MBNA, I charge something, the auth. shows up on the online statement INSTANTLY. You know right away if a charge is authentic or not.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4175 posts
1483 upvotes
Calgary
I agree with Brunes, it is very important to me. I tried to use my Visa but it confused the heck of me what's eating up my limit when I use the card excessively for a week. The only problem I dont like with MBNA is their dispute process that is why I am trying to stay away from it. But I think for now, I will use MBNA for gas and small purchases and any big purchases that I might have problems with will go on my Visa, until another credit card from the big banks come out that will show real time transactions, if ever that will come out
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Most people who can justify $120 for the card already have a decent enough job to have medical coverage.

Otherwise, you can buy better insurance from GMS.ca for $1.15/day. Or you can buy an annual plan that covers unlimited trips under 15 days for $34/year if you're 18-34, or $6/year if you're under 18.

You also would want to see if the card covers your spouse.