Parenting & Family

1 year baby doesn't want to eat, any way to make food have more taste?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2018 11:05 am
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote

1 year baby doesn't want to eat, any way to make food have more taste?

Hi
Our 1-year-old boy has been a good eater until recently.
He seems to get tired of our homemade meals (mostly boiled rice/pasta + chicken/pork)
Every time we put him in the highchair he will refuse the food after a couple of bites. He ate much better before this months, probably as twice as it is. But I noticed he prefer foods with more taste such as strawberry yogurt ( I gave him some to see if he is actually hungry). I haven't tried cheese yet because I'm not sure which type of cheese is good for baby and they seems all have a lot of sodium.
Is there any way to make our food have more taste without adding salt/sugar to his meal?
Cheers
22 replies
Nov 25, 2016
79 posts
30 upvotes
Try changing up the variety more. Daycare definitely adds salt to the food, but we don't at home still - as long as we're constantly changing up the food (e.g. changing it up between fish and meat, boiling vs. baking vs. stir frying), kid is still interested. We also try to add variety within each meal, but it's a lot of work so it's only when eating has been an issue for a couple days. There are days where we just put up with minimal eating. Also noticed eating patterns aren't always consistent - will have a week here or there where eats a lot or very little based on growth spurts.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the cheese, especially if it's just a little. I've seen parents give 12 month olds fries and they seem fine hahaha.
May 10, 2006
464 posts
50 upvotes
YYC
Is he teething (molars?)? My little guy loses his appetite when he's teething especially with hot/warm foods.

Are you adding different types of greens in each day? We pretty much change veggies/greens every 2-3 days along but rice with chicken or turkey stays same.

You don't really have to be so uptight about sodium and what not as long as you are not going crazily overboard. We have been giving our little guy kids string cheese since 9 months. They don't eat the whole thing at such a young age so it's not as much sodium as you think.
Last edited by FTO on May 29th, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1225 posts
251 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Andrewhl wrote:
May 29th, 2018 6:22 am
Is there any way to make our food have more taste without adding salt/sugar to his meal?
Well, gee, you took away two of the thee things I was going to suggest.

Usually to make food delicious, you can add salt, sugar, or fat.

So maybe fat then, if you don't want to add salt or sugar. This could include some fats like avocado, or natural peanut butter. Beware of possible allergic reactions to peanut butter though, if your baby has not had it before.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1363 upvotes
Toronto
If he's still breastfeeding he may just be more thirsty in the hot weather than hungry. Smoothies might be a good idea as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1115 posts
403 upvotes
OTTAWA
rkjredflag wrote:
May 29th, 2018 9:18 am
Well, gee, you took away two of the thee things I was going to suggest.

Usually to make food delicious, you can add salt, sugar, or fat.

So maybe fat then, if you don't want to add salt or sugar. This could include some fats like avocado, or natural peanut butter. Beware of possible allergic reactions to peanut butter though, if your baby has not had it before.
Fat is better than salt and sugar but still best avoided though your examples are fine.
Kids will eat when they are hungry. If you give them heavily sweetened foods like strawberry yogurt after they don't eat their dinner they will continually not finish their meals. I found the easiest way for very young kids is to not give them these foods at all. Only plain yogurt for example. These habits if developed when young will help them with the onslaught of junk food they will be exposed to when they go to school.
Oct 14, 2014
106 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
I have a 14 month old and for many months we've been giving her some variety of the following:
- lactose free cheese (that's what we buy because of me)
- avocado slices
- blueberries
- strawberries
- chicken breast (usually lightly seasoned, but on rare occasion breaded)
- steamed broccoli
- carrots and peas
- yogurt
- occasionally some form of bread
- apple sauce

and so on
Jul 5, 2004
22903 posts
2605 upvotes
Maybe start giving new foods, instead of boiled rice and chicken.
Try lots of fruits and veggies. Cheese is fine.
Try different meats and cook it differently. Meat shouldn't be boiled anyway, that just ruins it.

Fat is perfectly fine and should not be avoided. That's such an outdated way of thinking.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Sep 3, 2013
693 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
My son had been extremely picky since turning 11-12mos. He’s now 14mo andstill the same. He used to like sweet potatoes, zucchini, carrots, avocado, all types of meats, fruits, etc. now he’s only eat fruits and carbs! I’ve been doing baby-led weaning aince he’s 6months. I’ve followed his lead since and no longer stressing about it. I’d still offer whatever we’re eating (no longer omitting salt and added sugar since he turned one), but man he’s so picky. He’d only eat fries when we eat out and refusing all types of meat including meatballs which used to be his favorite. He did like my smoothies. You can try that and add some veggies in there.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3720 posts
542 upvotes
Aurora
I second the fruits. Instead of strawberry yogurt, how about strawberries?

And about the fat, my kids are 8, 6 and 5 and still drink whole milk.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4945 posts
850 upvotes
Peterborough
Had problems with our boy around feeding. Some days would eat most days not. It isnt necessarily about taste. Went to a pediatrician advice was essentially offer various healthy foods and he will decide when and what he will eat it. He got through that phase and eats fine now. Fluid is wayy more important than food. Especially with it being hot out, or when they have a cold.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1281 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
My 15 month old was the same. Such a diva that he won't eat the same thing twice in a day.
So we rotate a couple different meals throughout the day. Like pasta/rice/oatmeal and supplement with whole milk to fill and fatten him up.
Hell, sometimes he won't eat anything but a bagel with cream cheese.

We eat in front of our son and most times he'll wanna try what we're eating. Obviously we won't give him the skin off a piece fried chicken but common sense everything else.

We also like to give a 'complete' meal so after he finishes his rice/pasta, which we incorporate veggies and protein, we'll give some cheese like cheddar/mozzarella, cottage cheese, etc, then we'll finish with fruit.

At this point we figured he just wants to try new things. Or like others have mentioned when teething he won't eat much so we try soft cold foods like plain whole yogurt and cottage cheese and whole milk.

Best thing is don't stress and just try different things.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1115 posts
403 upvotes
OTTAWA
Shaner wrote:
May 30th, 2018 1:55 pm
Maybe start giving new foods, instead of boiled rice and chicken.
Try lots of fruits and veggies. Cheese is fine.
Try different meats and cook it differently. Meat shouldn't be boiled anyway, that just ruins it.

Fat is perfectly fine and should not be avoided. That's such an outdated way of thinking.
I like to get kids used to plain food. You aren't running a restaurant. Being spoilded is probably one of the biggest challenges to growing up middle class in Canada.

Good even "bad" natural fats are fine. Deep frying things is both unhealthy and more important in kids leads to bad habits and refusing to eat unfried food. Quick example. A toddler friend was breading her chick when she was one to get her to like it more. Now 3 we offer grilled chicken with a mild sauce. Yuck. My three year old thinks it is dessert compared to the plain baked chicken she grew up eating.
Jul 5, 2004
22903 posts
2605 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 7:08 am
I like to get kids used to plain food. You aren't running a restaurant. Being spoilded is probably one of the biggest challenges to growing up middle class in Canada.

Good even "bad" natural fats are fine. Deep frying things is both unhealthy and more important in kids leads to bad habits and refusing to eat unfried food. Quick example. A toddler friend was breading her chick when she was one to get her to like it more. Now 3 we offer grilled chicken with a mild sauce. Yuck. My three year old thinks it is dessert compared to the plain baked chicken she grew up eating.
I'm not running a restaurant either, but I still make good food. If I'm going to eat, I'm going to enjoy it. That doesn't necessarily mean breading or deep frying (I don't deep fry or bread anything actually), it just means proper seasoning, cooking methods, different cuts of meats, etc. I don't need to make my son go without good food now so that he hopefully appreciated good food later on.
Jul 5, 2004
22903 posts
2605 upvotes
Toukolou wrote:
May 31st, 2018 9:58 pm
I second the fruits. Instead of strawberry yogurt, how about strawberries?

And about the fat, my kids are 8, 6 and 5 and still drink whole milk.
There was a study done (I believe in Europe) that indicated kids who grew up on skim milk were larger than kids who grew up on whole milk. We've been brainwashed into believing that fat free foods are good for us, which is completely untrue. Thankfully that is starting to change and we're starting to realize that fats are actually good for us, even saturated fats

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)