• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2013 9:13 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 1, 2005
792 posts
67 upvotes

10 Chinese Dishes That Real Chinese People Don't Eat

Thoughts? I am not Chinese, but I always assumed I was eating what was probably North American adaptations of authentic Chinese dishes, though "Pu Pu platter" sounded like a joke. I would like to know RFD's opinion, please respond!

And because it is relevant - if you grew up in a Chinese household.

http://dc.eater.com/archives/2011/10/31 ... nt-eat.php

"Like many cuisines, authentic Chinese cooking has been bastardized over the decades. What Chinese people really eat at home—lots of vegetables, a sprinkle of meat, maybe some fruit—it's not glamorous, but it's simple comfort food. Everything is served family-style and everyone has a seat at the table. You won't see desserts on most Chinese menus. In fact, if you knew what we really ate at home, you'd probably turn green. Here's a list of popular Chinese dishes that are not really Chinese:

Crab Wontons: These deep-fried dumplings filled with crabmeat and cream cheese are popular...but nobody eats cheese in China. We're all lactose intolerant. But we do like to curdle other things, like fermented bean paste and duck blood.

General Tso's Chicken: Come on, this guy was too busy warding off rebellions to be cooking. This recipe is strictly American—chunks of chicken battered, fried and sweetened for Western tastes. No one in Hunan had even heard of this before 1970.

Chop Suey: Ah yes, the garbage disposal of the omelet world. Refrigerator scraps stir-fried and topped with an egg. It is said that some Chinese cook working during the Gold Rush served it as a personal "f__k you" to some drunk American miners.

Pu Pu Platter: Everything about this appetizer is an affront to poor people. It's nothing but fried, greasy egg rolls, spare ribs, chicken wings and beef teriyaki—which isn't even Chinese!

Sweet 'n' Sour Pork: Chunks of pork, battered, deep-fried and slimed in a thick orange sauce. There are obvious Southern barbecue influences here.

Sweet 'n' Sour Chicken: Chicken gets the same treatment, but it's all white meat because somehow that makes it better. With pieces of pineapple to assuage your guilt.

Salad: We cook our food. When dysentery is a concern, you would too.

Egg Rolls: Does anyone eat these? These thick-skinned, blistered rolls that look like Linda Blair's face in The Exorcist are nothing like the real Chinese spring rolls, which are smaller, thin and crispy—and edible.

Beef and broccoli: There's really nothing wrong with this dish, except that we don't have Western broccoli in the East.

Fortune cookies: Another ploy to amuse Westerners, these flag-bearers of fortune don't even tell you good news anymore, only your closely guarded shortcomings. Chinese people eat something more fortuitous for dessert: oranges. They're good luck."
56 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Urban myth. Chinese eats anything :D
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
sweet n sour pork/chicken is definitely eaten by chinese, as well as beef and broccoli

wtf are they talking about? no western broccoli in the East?

did the article mean not eaten by people in china 100 years ago?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
How do you make a list like that and miss the obvious chicken balls?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6114 posts
1693 upvotes
Milton
what does 'Real Chinese People' mean anyways?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
HoleyMoley wrote:

Crab Wontons: These deep-fried dumplings filled with crabmeat and cream cheese are popular...but nobody eats cheese in China. We're all lactose intolerant. But we do like to curdle other things, like fermented bean paste and duck blood.
yes, every single chinese person is lactose intolerant. absolutely true.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: How do you make a list like that and miss the obvious chicken balls?
Seriously, they are NA in origin.

The neon-red cherry sauce they serve with it however, is an ancient chinese tradition.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
Sweet and sour pork = goo loh yuk.

its best.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1071 posts
121 upvotes
my mom loves sweet and sour pork (aka goo lo yuk)
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
iEyeCaptain wrote: Sweet and sour pork = goo loh yuk.

its best.
ppl in china do eat that...

in fact...even Koreans...but usually it's yellow/clear sweet and sour.(lemon)
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
iEyeCaptain wrote: Sweet and sour pork = goo loh yuk.

its best.
skinnyp wrote: my mom loves sweet and sour pork (aka goo lo yuk)
Pretty much a staple everytime I'm out for dinner, be it with friends or family. It's just there and so delicious.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
I don't care how authentic or not it is. Sometimes you just want those chicken balls in red sauce with an egg roll and fried rice. This article sucks
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
Where all the fake Chinese people at?
Please keep sigs clean
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Fortune Cookies originated from Japan.

There are definitely inferior quality fortune cookies served by the likes of Manchu Wok which I won't eat.

My family eats beef and broccoli all the time.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
May 29, 2008
828 posts
374 upvotes
gilboman wrote: sweet n sour pork/chicken is definitely eaten by chinese, as well as beef and broccoli
+1 Chinese people definitely eat Sweet and Sour Pork.

The #1 thing that should be on the list but isn't are chicken balls. I don't see these in what I consider "real" Chinese restaurants. I tried it at one of those westernized Chinese restaurants and it was more or less a ball of flour and air with the tiniest piece of chicken in it -_-;

Also, from that list, I also tried "egg roll" (also something I had never seen at a real Chinese restaurant) at the westernized place and I don't think there was any egg in it. It was just beansprouts wrapped with some spring roll sheets and deep fried.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote: ppl in china do eat that...

in fact...even Koreans...but usually it's yellow/clear sweet and sour.(lemon)
Tang su yuk

Also salad really doesn't belong on that list. I can't think of a single Chinese restaurant (excluding buffets) that offers salad on their menu.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
"[Chop Suey: Ah yes, the garbage disposal of the omelet world. Refrigerator scraps stir-fried and topped with an egg. It is said that some Chinese cook working during the Gold Rush served it as a personal "f__k you" to some drunk American miners."

I always thought Chop Suey was bean sprouts....
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Raggie wrote: "[Chop Suey: Ah yes, the garbage disposal of the omelet world. Refrigerator scraps stir-fried and topped with an egg. It is said that some Chinese cook working during the Gold Rush served it as a personal "f__k you" to some drunk American miners."

I always thought Chop Suey was bean sprouts....
The "suey" part literally translates to scraps or shreds. As an aside, I find it amusing that the community cookbooks always have recipes that are called "Chinese" simply with the inclusion of bean sprouts or a tablespoon of soy sauce.

I think gai lon would be the proper "broccoli" rather than the ones that have the florets.
Jun 1, 2012
791 posts
51 upvotes
spena wrote: what does 'Real Chinese People' mean anyways?
Humans born and raised in china?
"Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."—Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
Raggie wrote: Fortune Cookies originated from Japan.
what proof do you have that fortune cookies originated from Japan?
as far as I know, they originated in california, likely San Francisco by japanese immigrants.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)