• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2005 10:58 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
2206 posts
242 upvotes
do u have a mechanic friend? ask to borrow a dealer plate... that's what i'm gonna do after my permit expires

hah i just did my safety + emissions today too... ugh now i gotta wait to get my damn federal inspection
Aug 6, 2005
397 posts
2 upvotes
what federal inspection? isnt it provincial inspection [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink] charged me $80 + $10 for the certificate if I come back with it fixed within 10 days with the lower ball joint fixed then they will give me the certificate. If I could drive it I would never bring it there but its very close to my house about 3 minute drive so It was my only choice.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
dalinxz wrote:actually i dont have insurance yet but the seller did have insurance so he already got the 10 day permit and the permit is in the car now it expires on dec. 7, 2005 so im wondering is if i can use the remainder of the time to get my etest and safety done?
Considering you already have the permit listed in the other guys name with his insurance.. It's possible to drive it if he should give permission. It's the same if I lend out my car to someone else, my insurance still covers him if someone makes a claim. Of course this is a somwhat grey area, as you're in the middle of a title change, so you would need that in writing... otherwise, he could deny he gave you the permission.

Should you risk it... I would.
Oct 19, 2004
198 posts
5 upvotes
ON. Canada
Just to note!!!
Lately the police have targeted the temp plates, making sure drivers have insurance, etc.
So, be carefull!!!!!!
Apr 19, 2004
662 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
albion wrote:Just to note!!!
Lately the police have targeted the temp plates, making sure drivers have insurance, etc.
So, be carefull!!!!!!

i think they target the temp plates ALL THE TIME

a friend of mine who was driving with a temp plate got pulled over 5 times in 1 day.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1633 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
joey3k wrote:i think they target the temp plates ALL THE TIME

a friend of mine who was driving with a temp plate got pulled over 5 times in 1 day.
Really? Ive driven almost 10 days with a temp plate and havent got pulled over once.
Aug 6, 2005
397 posts
2 upvotes
im going to take little roads im hoping to have insurance by this week i have to go get the things fixed and then have insurance set up
Dec 1, 2005
9 posts
your 10 day permit starts from the date of sale and yes you need insurance.
it's like getting real plates you need the same info.
hope it helps

try Kanetix for cheap insurance
Aug 6, 2005
397 posts
2 upvotes
insurance is quite expensive kanetix has the most outrageous inflated prices, insurance hotline dot com is better but best way is to call companies yourself and im going with belair they are the cheapest for me.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
joey3k wrote:i think they target the temp plates ALL THE TIME

I think they go after these guys because a lot of people don't pay their parking tickets.. and can not renew, so they get temps when they need to to shopping.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1982 posts
10 upvotes
Kingston
[QUOTE]so they get temps when they need to to shopping.[/QUOTE]
you can only get temp plates within a certain amount of time of you purchasing the car. Believe it's 14 days. Tried to get a temp permit on one i'd bought a few weeks before, and she told me no go.
So unless they went shopping and bought a new car they aren't doing this.
Aug 6, 2005
397 posts
2 upvotes
its actually for 10 days only anyways heres an update got everything fixed and going back to ct today to get my certificate.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)