• Oct 16th, 2017 2:39 am
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1004 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
frozenmelon wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 6:22 pm
I've been finding Uber to be of lower quality (worse cars, longer wait times, newbie drivers getting lost) and higher price (like 50% higher) in the last few months. Still better than cabs here though. Anyone else finding this trend?
Had a bad experience when the driver got lost due to the GPS. Uber was quick to correct the right amount on my account, and also gave me a credit for the mistake. How can you complain about the cars, the worst Uber car is still way better than any taxi I've been in. As long as Uber is around, I will never take a cab again.
[OP]
Jun 29, 2015
182 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kirry4u wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 10:10 pm
Is there a “use by date” for redemption? Or they sit there forever until you use them?
Asked customer support about this. Their response:

"Thanks for writing in. Gift card amounts do not expire. They will be utilized on trips you request and complete until the amount if credit is used up. Any overages will be covered by the payment method you have on file."
Aug 31, 2009
244 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
uber driver canceled on me, and i was still charge tax....got pretty pissed at uber after that
Aug 12, 2010
433 posts
55 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree the condition of Uber cars varies alot and in the past 6 months (for me) the quality and condition of the cars have fallen.
But Uber itself as a company always sides with the client. I have had numerous issues with drivers not showing up. Taking too long to show up (and I cancel) or even once keeping the fare going after I got out and then I get a 2nd charge on my credit card because of the extra distance. In every case I got a credit for the amount and an apology from Uber.
Then even gave me a credit in Berlin after I cancelled the Uber I called because he was going in the opposite direction of where I was waiting and it had already been 15 min waiting. They gave me a credit. But it was not transferable to Canada. Officially I would have to use in Germany. Which I was not planning on visiting any time soon. I appealed to Uber again to transfer the credit to Canadian $$ and they agreed right away.
With UBer you just have to ask or complain about any issue and they will set it right.

On the other hand they have recently updated their app and it is a pain - it is always losing track of the uber car on its way to pick you up and then I cannot tell if/when it has arrived. This has pissed me off more than anything because if you make them wait too long outside to pick you up it usually is the primary reason they will lower the score they give you.
Thanks to all at RedFlagDeals for all the great deals obtained.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3866 posts
45 upvotes
Turpentine wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 8:16 am
[...]The second one in NYC was really scary, I seriously feared for my life. [...]
Would like to hear more about this if you don't mind sharing.
Jul 14, 2008
174 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
nsd wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 4:46 pm
Would like to hear more about this if you don't mind sharing.
You're asking me to relive a nightmare but heh, anything to satisfy the curiosity of a fellow RFDer.

Ride with a colleague from a restaurant in Hoboken, NJ, to the Upper West Side. Heavy rain. Order an Uber, app says it has arrived, can't see it, call the driver but can't understand a thing. I eventually decide to run around the corner in my nice suit under the rain, the car is there, on the wrong street. Anyway. Get in the beat up Corolla with towels to cover what's left of the seat. Notice that the driver must be close to 70 and does not speak English; half relived by the fact that he has Google Maps on some old phone dangling from the rearview mirror. We enter the address for him and off we go. The next 20 minutes are pure fear: he cuts out a car by changing lane without realizing it; runs on a red without even noticing; stops and turns abruptly as he realizes he's about to miss the ramp for the Hudson Parkway; comes to a stop on the Parkway because he missed the exit; figures out backing up is too dangerous (actually, we yelled at him that it was crazy); instead decides to go over the curb to catch the ramp. Finally make it out of the car at 110th and Broadway, scarred for life.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8584 posts
1162 upvotes
Montreal
Can't use this in Quebec in two weeks, Uber pulling out.
Turpentine wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 9:37 am
You're asking me to relive a nightmare but heh, anything to satisfy the curiosity of a fellow RFDer.

Ride with a colleague from a restaurant in Hoboken, NJ, to the Upper West Side. Heavy rain. Order an Uber, app says it has arrived, can't see it, call the driver but can't understand a thing. I eventually decide to run around the corner in my nice suit under the rain, the car is there, on the wrong street. Anyway. Get in the beat up Corolla with towels to cover what's left of the seat. Notice that the driver must be close to 70 and does not speak English; half relived by the fact that he has Google Maps on some old phone dangling from the rearview mirror. We enter the address for him and off we go. The next 20 minutes are pure fear: he cuts out a car by changing lane without realizing it; runs on a red without even noticing; stops and turns abruptly as he realizes he's about to miss the ramp for the Hudson Parkway; comes to a stop on the Parkway because he missed the exit; figures out backing up is too dangerous (actually, we yelled at him that it was crazy); instead decides to go over the curb to catch the ramp. Finally make it out of the car at 110th and Broadway, scarred for life.
Sounds like my usual Taxi ride in Montreal :) Did you report him to Uber, they revoke Uber licenses really fast after checking the data.
Jul 14, 2008
174 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
yuprules wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 9:57 am
Can't use this in Quebec in two weeks, Uber pulling out.

Sounds like my usual Taxi ride in Montreal :) Did you report him to Uber, they revoke Uber licenses really fast after checking the data.
Hahaha, you should give Téo a try ;-)

My colleague is the one who ordered the ride, he told me he reported him. Given that he was on the verge of crying (not that he would admit it), I bet he did :-)
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13438 posts
1113 upvotes
Toronto
Did I miss this one on the site?

Fall has started, a season with the reputation for apple picking and outdoor hikes, cozier clothes, and cooler weather. As the temperature begins to change, a warm car ride to your destination becomes more and more appealing.

To help you experience all that fall has to offer in your city, Uber gift cards will be 10% off for the next 3 weeks at participating Walmart stores across Canada.

The details

From September 25, 2017, to October 13, 2017
10% off $25 and $50 Uber gift cards
In participating Walmart stores in Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec
"Deal of the Day" addict
Sep 30, 2001
26293 posts
5381 upvotes
Toronto
ZeppelinDude93 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:02 am
Yes. Uber gift cards can be only used for rides or UberEATS orders in the country where the gift card was purchased.
darn I was all excited for this deal until I read that :|
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13438 posts
1113 upvotes
Toronto
Scarborough Town Centre has a ton, lower level close to the mall cash registers, but in the main aisle, kinda closer to the elevator and escalators let's say.

Kennedy and Sheppard had none.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Mar 23, 2015
23 posts
1 upvote
Westmount, QC
Any idea where we can find these gift certificate in Montreal Area. Seems like not all WM have them

Thanks
Jun 3, 2008
49 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
Uber still running in Quebec. Both parties will discuss about new rules. Its a win win for everyone I guess.
May 17, 2017
53 posts
22 upvotes
frozenmelon wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 6:22 pm
I've been finding Uber to be of lower quality (worse cars, longer wait times, newbie drivers getting lost) and higher price (like 50% higher) in the last few months. Still better than cabs here though. Anyone else finding this trend?
They now charge an upfront price that is calculated by how much they think a consumer is willing to pay for a certain trip, rather than actual time and distance.
These upfront prices tend to be quite a bit higher than the old time+distance prices.

As well, the getting lost scenario is about to get worse because Uber no longer has the option for drivers to use Google Maps/Waze due to their legal spat with Google.
Every single driver that I've spoken to not only complains about the in app nav constantly taking them down 1 ways streets THE WRONG WAY, but also taking the shorter (but more time consuming route) route so that Uber can pay drivers less.