Hot Deals

[Esso] $10 PRICE PRIVILEGES e-cardwill be earned upon your first 3 purchases of 30 L (APP)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2017 4:50 pm
Oct 12, 2008
306 posts
342 upvotes
Markham
As a counterpoint. My Speedpass+ works fast and 100% of the time. Also doesn't require a gas attendant to authorize the pump, it does it automatically. Been to quite a few different Essos.
Feb 28, 2010
240 posts
32 upvotes
how does this work, do you scan the QR code and everything before you pump? after?

I bought some gift cards on ebay that came with bonus fuel saving card e-codes, i can load the gift cards no problem, but i can't load the fuel savings e-codes to the speedpass+ app (they load to the regular speedpass app, but thats just really a glorified barcode, you still have to scan it), is there a work around to this? Right now i have to keep going inside to use them
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1419 posts
259 upvotes
St. John's
From what I can tell there's no way to pay once you've already pumped your gas, unlike a traditional Speed Pass. Attendants in the station couldn't make any sense of it. The inability to pay once already pumped should be stated somewhere so people can plan accordingly. I deleted the app
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
When you pay with the paypass app on your phone, do you fill up first and then scan the qr code at the end? Or do you do it at the beginning? If you guys have done this before and you know the steps, I would appreciate it. I also have a price privileges card I would like to use when I do it. Thanks!
I am a Zoomer customer.
May 3, 2008
132 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
Chew300ZX wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 9:24 am
From what I can tell there's no way to pay once you've already pumped your gas, unlike a traditional Speed Pass. Attendants in the station couldn't make any sense of it. The inability to pay once already pumped should be stated somewhere so people can plan accordingly. I deleted the app
Dont I just pump first then go in to pay with the app and apply gift card / discount card ?
Jan 28, 2007
258 posts
144 upvotes
South-Western, Ontar…
Chew300ZX wrote:
... Attendants in the station couldn't make any sense of it.
I've tried once using it, and couldn't get it working ... the station manager seems lost too and didn't have a clue how it was supposed to work either ... you'd think Esso would make an effort to educate their service providers
Sep 2, 2010
187 posts
30 upvotes
I've tried the app once. When you park by the pump, launch the app and it'll detect your location. Select the pump you are at and the pre-auth amount. Once that's done, the pump will become active and you could gas up. I didn't need to get any authorization from the attendant at all. This could come in handy in the winter.

It's still faster to use the normal speed pass tap and go though rather than navigating through the app.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
2878 posts
699 upvotes
QC
I just registered for the whole esso thing. I have a 2.5c/L rebate card in the Esso Extra app and I cannot add it in the the Speedpass+ app. It ask for a PIN. Normally the PIN is located on a physical card but since it's an electronic one, I don't have any. Is it possible to add an electronic rebate card in the speedpass+ app?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2032 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
hawkridge wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 12:19 pm
how does this work, do you scan the QR code and everything before you pump? after?

I bought some gift cards on ebay that came with bonus fuel saving card e-codes, i can load the gift cards no problem, but i can't load the fuel savings e-codes to the speedpass+ app (they load to the regular speedpass app, but thats just really a glorified barcode, you still have to scan it), is there a work around to this? Right now i have to keep going inside to use them
Chew300ZX wrote:
SickBeast wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 10:07 am
When you pay with the paypass app on your phone, do you fill up first and then scan the qr code at the end? Or do you do it at the beginning? If you guys have done this before and you know the steps, I would appreciate it. I also have a price privileges card I would like to use when I do it. Thanks!
wongmb wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 10:09 am
Dont I just pump first then go in to pay with the app and apply gift card / discount card ?

The point of the app is to pay everything via your smartphone on the spot. You arrive at the gas station, if the app doesn't detect your location you have to scan the QR code. Once it knows which station you are at, you select the gas pump you're standing at (via your phone) and it will start showing message prompts on the gas pump screen. It will tell you when you are good to pump. It takes a few seconds (one time it took a few minutes and another time it didn't work at all) to authorize the pump I was standing it. One time I took the gas pump off the hook too fast and I had to restart the whole process.

You aren't able to pay anything afterwards because it uses your authorized form of payment on the spot. If you have a gift card, fuel savings card, etc. you can add them into the "Payment" section of the app.

In my opinion the app doesn't save me any time whatsoever. Using the original Speedpass keychain was instant, no issues at all. I've spent more time getting the app to work than it has taken me time using the keychain Speedpass + fueling.

I don't get why they tried to make this fancy app. The Speedpass keychain worked flawlessly. They could have just made an app to control the Speedpass keychain functionalities (i.e. add gift cards, fuel savings cards, etc). Seems stupid they tried to re-invent the wheel.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1609 posts
121 upvotes
North York
Not everybody wants to carry around an extra token on their keychain. Plus almost everybody has a smartphone now.

I don't have the speedpass token and I like the app.

Before, I had to swipe two cards (extra & privilages) and then my credit card and enter pin. Sometimes the pumps have trouble reading my cards and forces me to go inside to use them.

Now unlock phone and tap two things and I'm ready to go. Get a receipt in app so don't need paper or email receipts.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
2878 posts
699 upvotes
QC
spawn582 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:17 pm
Not everybody wants to carry around an extra token on their keychain. Plus almost everybody has a smartphone now.

Before, I had to swipe two cards (extra & privilages) and then my credit card and enter pin. Sometimes the pumps have trouble reading my cards and forces me to go inside to use them.

Now unlock phone and tap two things and I'm ready to go. Get a receipt in app so don't need paper or email receipts.
How do you add the privilege card in the apps? It ask for a PIN.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1609 posts
121 upvotes
North York
Click on the triple line icon in top left > My Account > Wallet > Fuel Discount Cards > Add a Fuel Discount Card

I don't recall if it asked me for a PIN and I don't have another to test.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2032 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
spawn582 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:17 pm

If you haven't tried the Speedpass key fob you were missing out. You set your CC and loyalty card before hand on their site. Also, you already have your car keys or car fob, which is where the small fob would attach to anyway. It's smaller than your average keychain.

It was literally one tap, that paid and got my points in less than 3 seconds. The app takes you at least 15 seconds minimum including the pump activation. The app is only great for this deal in my opinion. Once I use the fuel savings up, I'm going back to using the Speedpass fob until they kill it.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
2878 posts
699 upvotes
QC
spawn582 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 2:42 pm
Click on the triple line icon in top left > My Account > Wallet > Fuel Discount Cards > Add a Fuel Discount Card

I don't recall if it asked me for a PIN and I don't have another to test.
Yes they ask for a pin. I've sent them an email to see what are my options.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1609 posts
121 upvotes
North York
redkulat wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 3:33 pm
If you haven't tried the Speedpass key fob you were missing out. You set your CC and loyalty card before hand on their site. Also, you already have your car keys or car fob, which is where the small fob would attach to anyway. It's smaller than your average keychain.

It was literally one tap, that paid and got my points in less than 3 seconds. The app takes you at least 15 seconds minimum including the pump activation. The app is only great for this deal in my opinion. Once I use the fuel savings up, I'm going back to using the Speedpass fob until they kill it.
Ok never bothered but does sound good. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the comparison.