• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2008 9:57 am
Tags:
None
Apr 3, 2006
242 posts
richmond hill

10 year old crib

Would a ten year old crib still pass safety regulations for a new born?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
I wouldn't be worried about it. Just put a firm mattress and no fluffy blankets and you'll be fine.

As my former boss once put it, society went downhill the day they began making "safe" cribs where kids could not even put their head between bars. Before that, natural selection was allowed to happen early...
Oct 20, 2003
402 posts
24 upvotes
Waterloo
If the crib is in good condition, it'll be fine...
Oct 24, 2007
283 posts
2 upvotes
Every crib has a sticker on it (usually with assembly instructions). Also included is the make and model number and telephone number of the maufacturer. If you give them a call you will be able to find out if there was ever a recall and if the crib still meets Canadian safety standards. In addition, if there are any missing parts/hardware, you can order new ones.

Storkcraft has a section on their website www.storkcraft.com
How do I know if my used crib is safe?We do not recommend buying a used/old crib in garage sales, as there is usually no way of knowing how old or safe it is, or where it was manufactured. If your crib was manufactured in Canada before 1986, the crib is most likely unsafe. Health Canada changed the safety standards in 1986. In the United States, additional voluntary standards were added in 1988 by ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) to make cribs even safer. If you do consider a used crib, there are a few ways to determine whether it is safe and whether it meets the current safety standards.

Inspect the crib and make sure that there are:
No missing parts
No loose parts
No joints are coming apart
If in doubt, do not use the crib. Your child's safety should be your utmost priority.
Nov 4, 2007
427 posts
36 upvotes
yeah, we're planning on using a family hand me down crib that's been through 5 kids, and now to our first. From what I'm hearing, we should just replace the mattress with a new one, and it should be good to go.
Mar 24, 2007
628 posts
11 upvotes
arctics wrote: yeah, we're planning on using a family hand me down crib that's been through 5 kids, and now to our first. From what I'm hearing, we should just replace the mattress with a new one, and it should be good to go.
We also got a hand-me down from a family friend. It had only been through 1child and was only about 3 years old. I thought it would make it through our plan of 2 kids, but the drop-down side starting letting go every once in a while when the 1st was still in it - not good! It apparently wasn't a cheap crib either. We decided that it was the time to get our first child into a bed. We bought a crib without the drop-down sides for the 2nd child - made me feel better. Make sure that you thoroughly check the crib you are getting as it's been through 5 kids!!! If you are sure it's good to go, then yes, all you need is a new mattress.
Sep 10, 2008
63 posts
Halifax, NS
I bought both of my cribs used as I wanted the older style with the metal rod to slide the side rail up/down. I double checked both on-line and via phone to ensure that it met safety standards. Here's a link to Health Canada's instructions regarding crib safety for both new and used cribs:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/con ... 02-eng.php

As others have mentioned, it should be perfectly fine as long as you follow the information listed above.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4050 posts
1462 upvotes
GTA North
mon1 wrote: Would a ten year old crib still pass safety regulations for a new born?
The crib we used was 22 years old, went through 5 relatives kid's, oldest one is, no surprise, 22 years old.

Our other crib is 7 years old. The most important thing is to make sure the gaps between the bars are to standard to that the child's head won't get caught in it.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Nov 4, 2007
427 posts
36 upvotes
DarcyC wrote: We also got a hand-me down from a family friend. It had only been through 1child and was only about 3 years old. I thought it would make it through our plan of 2 kids, but the drop-down side starting letting go every once in a while when the 1st was still in it - not good! It apparently wasn't a cheap crib either. We decided that it was the time to get our first child into a bed. We bought a crib without the drop-down sides for the 2nd child - made me feel better. Make sure that you thoroughly check the crib you are getting as it's been through 5 kids!!! If you are sure it's good to go, then yes, all you need is a new mattress.
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely be sure to thoroughly check it out first.

Can anyone suggest a good mattress brand and where I can get one?