Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

$100 price drop on the Sony STRDG820 true HD audio receiver @ FS

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2009 1:52 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy

$100 price drop on the Sony STRDG820 true HD audio receiver @ FS

It was $499 but it just dropped $100 to $399 and two stores here have open box ones for $320!!! Good price if anyone is looking for a budget HD AVR.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
2159 posts
370 upvotes
Caledon, ON
Link: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... atid=10551

Pretty decent reviews, Uncompresssed Audio support, DTS-HD and Dolby HD decoding. Good value at $320 for OB - Thanks OP!

Can you provide the stores you saw the OB at - once you grab yours that is or else the RFD effect may bite you in the a$$ :D
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
Trifid wrote: Link: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... atid=10551

Pretty decent reviews, Uncompresssed Audio support, DTS-HD and Dolby HD decoding. Good value at $320 for OB - Thanks OP!

Can you provide the stores you saw the OB at - once you grab yours that is or else the RFD effect may bite you in the a$$ :D
Even @ $400 for new I think this is a good deal. However, I'm not a sony fan when it comes to audio so I'm going to get the pioneer VSX918VK from visions as its on clearance this week for $278!!! And demo units for $210!!! It doesn't decode HD audio but accepts it via hdmi. This is the cheapest I've seen this!

Open box of the sonys from when I called in was at the 2 south stores in cgy.
Apr 11, 2007
205 posts
10 upvotes
I just picked up the Pioneer VSX1018VK from BB for $460 open box...regular price is still $699 on that unit. It also supports uncompressed audio.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1065 posts
64 upvotes
Quebec
I have the STRDG910 which I got for about that price when I price matched London Drugs some time ago. I wouldn't say I don't like it, it does everything it's supposed to, but it doesn't sound like the Yamaha I replaced it with.
Best deals I got thanks to RFD:
Sony 60" SXRD RPTV with Stand 1749$ :arrowl: :razz:
Jul 29, 2003
50 posts
2 upvotes
FuzzyWuzzy wrote: It was $499 but it just dropped $100 to $399 and two stores here have open box ones for $320!!! Good price if anyone is looking for a budget HD AVR.
I do remember seeing this receiver for like $275 in summer 2008 .... at FS. It was like a one day sale. Didn't bite them ... won't bite now at $399.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4415 posts
532 upvotes
If your going to spend this much on a receiver chances are you dont have the speakers that would take advantage of the hd support, or are just selling your speakers short of an actual receiver. The same amount can be spent alternatively on an denon/yamaha, even though you wont get the hd features, the sound quality "should" be better...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
It's an okay receiver but yeah save for a Denon/HK/Yamaha/Pioneer if you can.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Mar 25, 2006
96 posts
17 upvotes
number8888 wrote: It's an okay receiver but yeah save for a Denon/HK/Yamaha/Pioneer if you can.
+1

I have had Sony, Yamaha, NAD, Pioneer. Sony certainly not in the same league. Power is really overstated and the only one to die on me.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1538 posts
421 upvotes
Richmond, BC
i bought this model when it first was available at future shop for $299.99...it was on at a door crasher price on the '10 days of deals'

decent model and i quite enjoy for small room
Oct 24, 2003
115 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Hi newbie question, I've got a receiver that doesnt decode TrueHD have a 5.1 setup and am playing it with my PS3. when i play Bluray movies with dolbyHD , i can only get 3 speakers going instead of 5.1, but when i play a regular dvd, I get 5.1 via dolby digital.... am I doing something wrong with settings? Driving me crazy as I am forced to choose between bluray for better picture quality (I have a panny pz80) or regular dvd for the 5.1 sound. I am tempted to buy this receiver just to fix it. Comments??
Aug 5, 2005
510 posts
15 upvotes
Edmonton
Make sure you run your PS3s audio through HDMI. HD audio isn't supported over optical.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2228 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
I had this receiver and got it for $320 about a month ago, but replaced it with the 920 as I got a good deal on that ($499.99). Part of the reason I went with the Sonys is because they are not huge like every other receiver out there. Ya, they may not sound the best, but at least they fit where I need it to go.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, I just want to warn you guys....I bought this receiver back in november of last year. I used it in a single day, this receiver pissed me off so much, I went to return it the same day i first set it up. I was going to use this for my party the week later but when I tried raising the volume, something called Protection, would keep coming up. I had bought this for 249.99 on sale for 499.99 back then. I then waited about a month till boxing day and picked up the receiver that bestbuy had on sale for 249.99 from 699.99. This was the Pioneer 1018, now this receiver was awesome, I pumped the volume to the max and with my klipsh sub, my house was literally bouncing up and down (well technically NO :lol: )...so if you want a low price good receiver, wait for that one to go on sale or go with an onkyo, sony was never meant to be proffessionals in sound, only video
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4201 posts
2228 upvotes
Niagara
deal_with_singh wrote: Ok, I just want to warn you guys....I bought this receiver back in november of last year. I used it in a single day, this receiver pissed me off so much, I went to return it the same day i first set it up. I was going to use this for my party the week later but when I tried raising the volume, something called Protection, would keep coming up. I had bought this for 249.99 on sale for 499.99 back then. I then waited about a month till boxing day and picked up the receiver that bestbuy had on sale for 249.99 from 699.99. This was the Pioneer 1018, now this receiver was awesome, I pumped the volume to the max and with my klipsh sub, my house was literally bouncing up and down (well technically NO :lol: )...so if you want a low price good receiver, wait for that one to go on sale or go with an onkyo, sony was never meant to be proffessionals in sound, only video
wait a sec.. BB had the 1018 on sale for 249 at boxing day? how the heck did i miss out on that..
Feb 26, 2008
355 posts
94 upvotes
Montreal
joey003 wrote: wait a sec.. BB had the 1018 on sale for 249 at boxing day? how the heck did i miss out on that..
The Pio 1018 was 399$ at BB on boxing day, not 249. That would've been a magma hot deal lol.

Awesome unit btw and Pio's 2009 lineup is pretty interesting too. The 819 is at 320$ during the customer app. sale at BB. 3 hdmi inputs, hdmi repeating, dts-hd and dolby true-hd decoding. Only drawback is that it's a 5.1 unit, not 7.1 and the fact that the 1080 shared the same power circuitry as their high-end models while the 819 uses the same circuitry (P.H.A.T.) found in their lower-end receivers. It's still a great deal imo.
Aug 5, 2005
510 posts
15 upvotes
Edmonton
krusty50 wrote: The Pio 1018 was 399$ at BB on boxing day, not 249. That would've been a magma hot deal lol.

Awesome unit btw and Pio's 2009 lineup is pretty interesting too. The 819 is at 320$ during the customer app. sale at BB. 3 hdmi inputs, hdmi repeating, dts-hd and dolby true-hd decoding. Only drawback is that it's a 5.1 unit, not 7.1 and the fact that the 1080 shared the same power circuitry as their high-end models while the 819 uses the same circuitry (P.H.A.T.) found in their lower-end receivers. It's still a great deal imo.
That's a pretty big drawback IMO.. these days, I don't think you should buy a receiver unless it has multiple HDMI in, at least one HDMI out, 7.1 support and HD audio decoding. That's at a minimum. Faroudja upscaling is a nice feature as well. Don't "step-upgrade" to death.. a receiver with the above will be good for some time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6413 posts
2704 upvotes
I got the yamaha htr-6150 for $279 a couple of months ago, great receiver for the money!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)