Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes

1080p video

A first try. Was taking photo of the plane when it started it's take off roll. Didn't really have time to get it to focus etc but works out ok I think. The way to get into video mode made switching from stills to video quick enough to catch this moment.

http://www.vimeo.com/7737421
14 replies
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
Nice! That was pretty sharp at the beginning. Video is a neat feature on a DSLR eh?

A while back I finished up my first video on the 5D2 and it was soooooo much work in the editing compared to photography:

http://vimeo.com/7629968
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Aug 27, 2009
319 posts
3 upvotes
TO
sfu_engineer wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 3:38 pm
Nice! That was pretty sharp at the beginning. Video is a neat feature on a DSLR eh?

A while back I finished up my first video on the 5D2 and it was soooooo much work in the editing compared to photography:

How come its always wobbling? Is that the jello effect? I thought that the jello effects only shows when you are panning your camera in a rapid manner.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1759 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
I'm new to the DSLR video thing too. Played around with it a few times on my T1i, but I have a few questions. Does the lens you use affect the DOF? I don't think there's a way to change the aperture or I just haven't found it. Or does it just shoot wide open?
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
24 upvotes
rayt- wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 5:20 pm
I'm new to the DSLR video thing too. Played around with it a few times on my T1i, but I have a few questions. Does the lens you use affect the DOF? I don't think there's a way to change the aperture or I just haven't found it. Or does it just shoot wide open?
The T1i sets the aperture automatically, there's no manual setting for it.

That said, you can go into Av mode, choose the aperture you want, press the DOF preview button, and twist the lens off the mount slightly. This locks the lens at the selected aperture and disconnects the lens' electronics from the body. It's not pretty, but it works.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
Well I am using a 7D so I set the aperture. It wobbles because I was using a 70-200 2.8 IS. The IS already helps but at 200 mm hand held you'll see the wobbles. Also Since it tries to match you last exposure settings in this case the shutter speed was very high which cause some issues with motion. For example the propellers in real life is just a blurred disk but you can see them clearly in the video.

BTW this was straight out of camera without any editing. I was going to try editing but I haven't gotten the hang of the software yet. It's a whole different ball game with so much more work.
Oct 12, 2004
232 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
tiijei wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 3:44 pm
How come its always wobbling? Is that the jello effect? I thought that the jello effects only shows when you are panning your camera in a rapid manner.
The jello effect can be seen in the OP's video. The buildings look like they are bending as the shot is panned.
sfu_engineer wrote:I am pretty sure it's the fake IS feature of iMovie 09.
Can't say for sure since I haven't seen what it looks like without the iMovie IS, but i think i'd rather see camera shake than the wobbly effect, it feels like im watching the video drunk :cheesygri
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
sfu_engineer wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 3:38 pm

Nice video - I recorded about 30 minutes worth from my Niagara Falls trip and editing/splicing it thus far is a pain in the butt. It's not like photos where we get to see the results right away.. That has got to be one of the better sweet 16 birthday parties I've been to or seen. Most of the time parents aren't even there, your friend's got really great parents! :)

The wobbly effect made me a little nauseated after a minute of watching it though. And I hate that Miley Cyrus song..lol! Your video really reminded me of one of Wong Fu Production's videos. You can see their shorts on YouTube if you already haven't.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
I loved the daughter and father dancing part on your video Spencer.
It looked pretty professional! :)

I really gotta get myself a 5D2, or a 7D... I want to be able to create pro looking videos, with the DoF and everything. ;)

Yeah, it's WongFu like isn't it Matt?

You should build yourself a DIY steadicam Spencer!
Costs like $14. Instructions on google. :D
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
kay188 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 10:35 pm
I loved the daughter and father dancing part on your video Spencer.
It looked pretty professional! :)

I really gotta get myself a 5D2, or a 7D... I want to be able to create pro looking videos, with the DoF and everything. ;)

Yeah, it's WongFu like isn't it Matt?

You should build yourself a DIY steadicam Spencer!
Costs like $14. Instructions on google. :D
I just checked out the Poor Man's Handicam but it looks like it requires to hands to use one. What I'd like is one of those shoulder/chest mounted ones instead so I can use my hands to adjust settings and focus.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
DIY Spencer! :D

A backpack rack thing, and DIY attachment to the steadicam, so you can hold the unit with 1 hand, and have another for focus/zoom.

That backpack rack thing, I saw it on strobist, and essentially some guy just mounted a pole, and attached an umbrella setup at the other end with a strobe on ebay triggers.

I'm sure you've seen it, and know what i'm talking about.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2007
1502 posts
59 upvotes
Brampton
what editing software do you all use?

I don't have a Mac, so I am limited to choices......
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
Sony Vegas is the cheapest I think. Next is premier elements.

I'd like to know which is easiest to use. I am trying vegas right now but umm.. not sure if it's the best/easiest to use.