Cell Phones

10GB/$60 - Best Carrier?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2017 10:45 pm
Tags:

Poll: Best carrier for the 10GB plan?

• Total votes: 19. You have voted on this poll.
Rogers

21%
Bell

0%
Telus

16%
Fido

11%
Virgin

11%
Koodo

37%
Freedom

0%
All of the above

5%
Only the big three and subs

0%
None of the above

0%
Oct 5, 2010
21 posts
13 upvotes
Ontario

10GB/$60 - Best Carrier?

Hi guys,

With all major carriers offering the 10GB/$60 plans, this is a good time to potentially switch carriers. I've been with Rogers for a decade and have never been with another provider. For whatever reason I'm leaning towards telus because people seem to say good things about them.

Which company would you recommend? Do you find any carriers will offer a promotional plan and then jack the rate after a certain amount of time?

Thanks in advance
78 replies
Aug 25, 2010
191 posts
43 upvotes
mississauga
Now they have all the same price plan, it's time to switch to the best network provider. what's your opinion? thanks
EDITED title to put GTA north -west on it since the location matters
Last edited by max1234 on Dec 17th, 2017 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
I hear Telus has the best customer service and uses bell towers, so pretty much same as bell. Depending where you are in the country, it can have faster speeds than Rogers.

HOWEVER, I just looked at both Koodo and Telus and whereas 2 hours ago they had the promo on the front page of their sites, they have now been taken down. Cause for concern?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2228 posts
2151 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
/end thread
Images
  • 1825AAB7-88B9-48AB-B1CE-72D7E6061CF0.jpeg
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I've said it before...if I had to ditch all my wireless providers and just keep one, that one would be Koodo.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
30 posts
8 upvotes
I think the answer is different for everyone. Are you a corporate, business, or consumer customer? What are your needs/wants? Do you have other services with the providers like tv, home internet, etc.? Do wish to speak to a live agent or are you ok with liaising through social media?

The prices and network features including add-ons often play a role. Bell charges higher rates for their international Easy Roam which is $12/day while the other providers charge less. There's also their track record of raising prices on plans plus charges for their SIM cards and other fees. How flexible are they in waiving them?

From what I have seen, Bell seems to be the least transparent while Virgin and Koodo are rated the highest in customer satisfaction according to JD Powers. Telus currently provides the fastest LTE but often changes places with Bell.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Hands down, Bell. I have Rogers LTE and I used to have Bell LTE. Bell is the best in gta due to constant network investments. It’s one of bell’s executive mandates to be a premium network, so they can command the prices.

Source: used to work at bell
Aug 22, 2007
235 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
They are all almost exactly the same.

Telus owns Koodo, and Public

Bell owns Virgin, and

Rogers owns Fido and Chatr

Bell and Telus share towers and spectrum in most of the country making their networks virtually identical.

Rogers has their own and is extremely comparable to Bell/Telus.

You can compare based on customer service maybe, but they're all basically identical. Freedom is the only network that's different in any meaningful way.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
30 posts
8 upvotes
I would not recommend anyone switch to Rogers because they're not like they used to be in terms of network performance. I would consider all the other providers excluding Freedom though.
FWIW, Rogers is offering a few extra perks like Call forwarding and enhanced voice mail for this plan.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
Telus, Koodo have the best track records when it comes to honouring these price plans indefinitely. Fido, Rogers and Virgin send letters after a year saying your plan cost is getting jacked up. I’m not sure what Bell’s track record is.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
30 posts
8 upvotes
Virgin is owned by Bell (BCE)? If that's the case then I must assume Bell would do the same at the earliest opportunity on a plan like this.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and cancel my new Bell line and get the Telus plan instead today?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
AngC888 wrote: I would not recommend anyone switch to Rogers because they're not like they used to be in terms of network performance. I would consider all the other providers excluding Freedom though.
FWIW, Rogers is offering a few extra perks like Call forwarding and enhanced voice mail for this plan.
Also, along with the Enhanced Voicemail, Rogers has Name Display included. The drawback is that on the Rogers plan, the messaging is Canada-wide, not international.

I am currently on Fido (Rogers network) and the service is fine. However, the voicemail is simple 3-message voicemail and there is no Name Display. So I'm paying an extra $5 per month to get iPhone Visual Voicemail and Name Display.

Fido has 5 hours free data though. You get 5 sessions of 1 hour of unlimited data, as long as you set the account in advance for this.

OTOH, you can get free incoming calls and free incoming messages on Rogers and Fido when using WiFi calling internationally, that's nice. The same on Fido and Rogers though.

---

So, I'm thinking of switching my current Fido plan to Rogers for:

5 GB + 5 GB data forever (which I think is true on both Fido and Rogers now)
Enhanced voicemail (compared to only simple voicemail on Fido)
Call Display and Name Display (compared to only Call Display on Fido)

What I would lose out on by choosing Rogers over Fido is the unlimited international messaging and 5 hours free data.

Hmmm...

---

BTW, I put my wife on Koodo previously and the Public Mobile and I was not impressed by the self serve philosophy. Koodo was annoying but Public Mobile was just bad. Plus, porting from Koodo to Public Mobile was an issue because you couldn't set up an account on both with the same email or something like that, as they apparently shared the same backend and Telus's software managing this was too limited.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
If customer service is important...

Rogers, especially fido
Bell
Telus

Reliability.

Bell
Rogers
Telus, especially Koodo. fido is similar, as a cheaper option but I hate how they force you to use Self Serve.

I've been with all three Telus/Koodo was the worst, mainly because of customer service. Even their pricing was the worst.

Bell at least with Virgin Mobile offers perks. If Bell's customer service was on par with Rogers I would still be with them.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1874 posts
1666 upvotes
Lake Simcoe
Although I would vote Bell as the best network, I can't bring myself to endorse them as a carrier because of their poor customer relations and constant billing/pricing issues.
Where does that leave us???.......Choose either Telus or Koodo, whichever best suits your needs.
Rogers is not even worth discussing.
Jan 27, 2009
237 posts
240 upvotes
Ottawa
I keep hearing bell and telus share towers.

I do not believe this to be true anymore. It was when they switched from CDMA to 3G but when LTE was introduced they created separate LTE networks again.

Choosing the best network for you might involve having a look at tower locations in your own neighbourhood and locations you visit frequently. I use an app called TowerLocator.
Darryl
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
MaxPower19 wrote: Telus, Koodo have the best track records when it comes to honouring these price plans indefinitely. Fido, Rogers and Virgin send letters after a year saying your plan cost is getting jacked up. I’m not sure what Bell’s track record is.
Can they actually do that? The price of my plan has not increased in the past 7 years. It's an old retention plan if that matters.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
The answer depends on your area. Some places, services are identical. Other places, services are spotty. Great thing about BYOD is that you can cancel and sign up with someone else without being hooked to a phone contract.

Something tells me an American carrier is coming to Canada-and the Big 3 got some inside information. They're never this nice to us-EVER. I hope it's true as they have unlimited data plans and still beats our pricing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
kenvin100 wrote: The answer depends on your area. Some places, services are identical. Other places, services are spotty. Great thing about BYOD is that you can cancel and sign up with someone else without being hooked to a phone contract.

Something tells me an American carrier is coming to Canada-and the Big 3 got some inside information. They're never this nice to us-EVER. I hope it's true as they have unlimited data plans and still beats our pricing.
Keep in mind it’s Q4 coming to an end, and they want good numbers for end of year. Also, many people are already locked into contracts as the iPhone was released last month, and lastly Freedom Mobile is finally being a formidable foe, and I’m sure with the ex Telus CEO at Rogers, he wants to rock the boat and knows Telus weakness. If anything, this may increase activations but will lower the ARPU in Telus hometown, and BYOD will always be fickle