• Oct 13th, 2018 1:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9681 posts
4043 upvotes
Toronto

$10K stolen from glovebox while newlyweds honeymoon abroad

Something doesn't smell right here....who the heck leaves 10k cash in their glove compartment.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/10k-stole ... -1.4119478
After returning from a honeymoon in California, a southern Ontario couple realized that $10,000 had been stolen from them while they were away.

Gregory Robinson and Hayley Dobson got married last month. Dobson describes their wedding day as “exactly what we’d dreamed of.

“There was a lot of laughter, a lot of tears and a lot of dancing. It was the greatest day. It was everything we had hoped it would be,” she said.

Hayley Dobson and Gregory Robinson say $10,000 was stolen from the glove compartment of their car while they were away on their honeymoon.

Right after the wedding night, the Guelph, Ont., couple flew to Los Angeles for their honeymoon, and left their car with a friend.

When they returned home, the friend gave them a piece of shocking news: The car had been broken into while they were away.

The friend knew the thief had nabbed money Robinson and Dobson left him for looking after the car. Realizing the GPS and items in the back seat were left alone, he figured that was the end of it.

The newly married couple knew differently. A backpack and other items they had left in the trunk were gone.

The next morning, Dobson realized that wasn’t the extent of their loss. Nearly $10,000 they planned to use to pay off their wedding bills had disappeared from their glove compartment.

“Instantly I was in hysterics,” Dobson said.

“I was bawling. I just couldn’t believe that it could have happened. I think I’ve cried more in the last four or five days than in my entire life put together.”

Robinson and Dobson said their wedding celebration left them so tired that they forgot they had the money in the car.

“It was just that one time where we didn’t make that right call,” Robinson said.

Police are investigating the break-in and say a glove found in the vehicle may help them piece together what happened.

Robinson said the couple’s insurance company will pay to replace the stolen items, but not the cash.

“They said the risk of cash being stolen is so high that it’s difficult for them to cover it,” he said.

An online fundraiser has been launched to help Robinson and Dobson recoup some of their losses.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
61 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7728 posts
3581 upvotes
Toronto
Why is the media even reporting on this?

I don't feel bad for them. Never leave valuables in your car.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9681 posts
4043 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe the couple have connection to the media.
daivey wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 2:45 pm

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
1854 posts
235 upvotes
Obviously they want to get a gofundme set up after doing something incredibly stupid, and have the general public donate to compensate for their stupidity.

It makes the news because, of course it makes the news.

Edit. Why couldn't this news cycle be useful to me back in the day?

Help. My 1986 Dodge Aries was stolen. I just parked it in my parking lot like every other day, and when I woke up, it was gone. I was in hysterics (I wasn't), and I had to take the bus to work for the rest of the week! SOMEBODY COMPENSATE ME!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13023 posts
1605 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 2:45 pm

Call me a cynic as I do not believe any of the story.
Further more something tells me that they are expecting one of their friends or family members to start GoFundMe to raise the "the lost cash:.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6813 posts
3901 upvotes
I once had a $20 bill fly away out of my car about 8 years ago ... still think about that $20 bill to this day snif snif
Jul 23, 2007
321 posts
78 upvotes
Vancouver
People leaving valuable in the
Let's do some cash takingGrinning FaceGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20287 posts
2231 upvotes
Montreal
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:26 pm
Something doesn't smell right here....who the heck leaves 10k cash in their glove compartment.
Eeeediots?
Jul 23, 2007
321 posts
78 upvotes
Vancouver
Gofundme cash
Now
Gospareme cash
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1498 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
An online fundraiser has been launched to help Robinson and Dobson recoup some of their losses.
The article should have called it what it is. An online begging campaign has been launched to make up for their carelessness.

These sob story begging campaigns are a dime a dozen now and really on the scale of how bad a situation they are in, it ranks pretty low when you stack it up against people who have gofundme's for illnesses, accidents, deaths, etc.

I remember before the online begging sites sprung up that people would take responsibility for the role they played in their misfortunes and accept the outcome. Now it seems like you can make a mistake and then go online asking for funds to cover your losses.

Instead of begging the community for even more money they should treat this as a $10k life lesson not to leave valuables in a car.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7728 posts
3581 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 3:54 pm
Call me a cynic as I do not believe any of the story.
Further more something tells me that they are expecting one of their friends or family members to start GoFundMe to raise the "the lost cash:.
yep pretty much this.
all BS I don't buy that any couple is so dumb to leave their gifts from their wedding, in their car. I can understand the "bridal" room safe being robbed from someone that sneaks into the venue, or from the venue staff itself. but once it's in your hands out of the venue..... you know where that bag is at all times - unless you're completely shit faced.... and if that was the case you would have your parents take it home.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13023 posts
1605 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 7:37 pm
yep pretty much this.
all BS I don't buy that any couple is so dumb to leave their gifts from their wedding, in their car. I can understand the "bridal" room safe being robbed from someone that sneaks into the venue, or from the venue staff itself. but once it's in your hands out of the venue..... you know where that bag is at all times - unless you're completely shit faced.... and if that was the case you would have your parents take it home.
Yup..they are not full rednecks though..lol
They actually realized using the house as the safe keeping location for their 'lost money" would likely derail the plan as it would require a full B&E and a full investigation by the police (fingerprints and possibly police canine unit search).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6721 posts
4239 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Lol...
In the recent RFD Topic — How To Give a Wedding Gift
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-give ... t-2226646/

I recommended that a gift or cheque be sent to the couple BEFORE the Wedding

Some folks thought that old fashioned, or too much trouble, etc
Maybe so... but it’s tried & true, and safer

In this situation... no one ripped them off at the Reception Venue (which happens too often)
But they ended up with a whole lot of cash in hand, at an inconvenient place & time
And now it’s gone

And i am sorry... but i’d Be looking at the guy who was “supposedly watching” their car as my first suspect
Whole thing sounds fishy to me
(who’s to say they even got $ 10 K to begin with... in cash, no way to prove that statement as factual
Which is the whole reason Insurance don’t cover such claims)
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4139 posts
989 upvotes
Toronto
gqbluez wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 5:47 pm
The article should have called it what it is. An online begging campaign has been launched to make up for their carelessness.
Call it what it is, an online begging campaign has been launched to pay for their honeymoon.

As much as I dislike frivolous litigation, I wish media outlets could be sued if they advertise gofundme campaigns that turn out not to be legitimate (which there are a lot of). If there's a legitimate need for help, like the tornado relief, then absolutely tell people how they can help via a legitimate and verified way. Stuff like this is no different from the newspaper saying you should give some money to some guy asking for money on the TTC - who knows who he is or what he's actually going to use it for.

If the newspaper can't verify that they lost $10k, don't imply that people should help to replace that $10k. Don't add legitimacy to something that can't be known to be legitimate.