Travel

10th American dies in DR in 6months under suspicious circumstances, multiple assaults in resorts, others violently ill

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2019 10:17 pm
[OP]
Dec 20, 2018
933 posts
799 upvotes

10th American dies in DR in 6months under suspicious circumstances, multiple assaults in resorts, others violently ill

Sounds like it could be fake alcohol just like what happened in the Mexican resorts or just coincidence and people died of poor health conditions previously unknown

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... h-mystery/

Another American has died at a Dominican resort, the fourth in the last year, raising alarm among U.S. tourists and the island-tourism industry that relies heavily on them.

The increasing number of mysterious deaths and reported sudden illness at resorts in the Dominican Republic have drawn unsettling attention to the nation of 10 million, prompting government officials there and the U.S. ambassador to reassure travelers that the country is safe. More Americans have visited the tropical island nation — with its pearl-white coastline and value travel packages to all-inclusive resorts — in recent years than France, U.S. Embassy officials said.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/us/mexic ... index.html

The Mexican Government began a series of raids targeting reports of tainted and fake alcohol at Resorts on Friday August 11, 2017. The raids were announced on Monday August 14, 2017 by the Authorities in Mexico. The result of the raids was the confiscation of 10, 000 gallons of illicit alcohol from 31 establishments including resorts and nightclubs in Cancun and Playa del Carmen

The Mexican enforcement agencies shut down the bar at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya hotel a bar that was linked in the death of Abbey Conner, a 20-year-old Wisconsin Woman after consuming alcohol there earlier in the year. Since MS. Conner’s death the US State Department has issued warnings concerning alcohol consumption at Mexico resorts. Today’s announcement verifies that these warnings were justified considering such a huge haul of tainted alcohol from such a wide swath of the Mexican Resort industry in these two well-known destinations.

An outpost of the Fat Tuesday Bar, a New Orleans inspired nightclub and a popular spot located at Blvd. Kukulkan KM 6.5 77500 Cancún, Quintana Roo Mexico was also shuttered by authorities during the raids which began on Friday morning. A complete list of confiscations and closings has not yet been released by Mexican officials, but the number 31 has been publicly mentioned. If the number 31 is correct, this represents a sizable percentage of all resorts and nightclubs in Cancun and Playa del Carmen pointing to pervasive and accepted business practices by this industry rather than an aberration.

Fake Alcohol busts at 5 star Resorts and Bars in Cancun Click to
Although a 10,000-gallon confiscation sounds like a lot, and it is in a couple of days of raids, it pales in comparison to the over 1.4 Million Gallons of tainted alcohol confiscations that have been announced over the last seven years by the Mexican Government.

It is common for resorts around the world including Cancun and Playa del Carmen to offer all-inclusive packages that includes food and alcoholic beverages to entice tourists to their properties. It is also becoming customary practice for these resorts to buy unofficial liquor, to water down liquor and to substitute less expensive liquor in more expensive liquor bottles to lower their costs.

June 26 update
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/6/26 ... ist-deaths
Ten known US tourists have died at Dominican Republic resorts, or at the hospital immediately following resort stays — including three within five days, and two within three days — in just over a year.

Now over a dozen more visitors who fell dangerously ill on vacation in the Dominican Republic are coming forward. Sicknesses reportedly set in quickly, marked by frequently cited symptoms of abdominal pain, nausea, and sweating; guests’ descriptions of a “chemical smell” in hotel rooms; and a pattern of minibar liquor consumption before indicators of illness set in.
Last edited by StatsGuy on Jun 26th, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
25 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13499 posts
2740 upvotes
Markham
Avoid going to Dominican Republic
or
Don't drink anything from the mini bar
Another American Has Mysteriously Died In The Dominican Republic After Drinking From The Minibar
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/another ... 00841.html

California Man Dies in Dominican Republic After Drinking Scotch From Hotel Minibar, Family Says
https://news.yahoo.com/california-man-d ... 05488.html
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2059 posts
1181 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Keigotw wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 2:56 pm
Avoid going to Dominican Republic
or
Don't drink anything from the mini bar
Another American Has Mysteriously Died In The Dominican Republic After Drinking From The Minibar
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/another ... 00841.html

California Man Dies in Dominican Republic After Drinking Scotch From Hotel Minibar, Family Says
https://news.yahoo.com/california-man-d ... 05488.html
RIP to the victim.

But there’s a lot of holes to this story...
- That resort is 1800+ rooms (and you can triple that number based on the amount of guests there at any given time as some rooms are 2 & 3 bedrooms). So only 1 person of a minimum 3600 ppl got sick?
- I’ve stayed at Hard Rock Punta Cana 5x over the years. There’s no alcohol in the mini bar besides beer- there are liquor dispensers in the room though. (((Can liquor expire/ be tampered with? Who knows))))

This man is also in his 60s- so sudden death isn’t exactly an extraordinary possibility.

My uncle recently passed away last year at 67 (perfectly healthy still worked- working in a position that required psychical labour). He went to go grab something for a bbq he was making with his wife and never came back outside. My aunt found him on the floor 10 minutes later when he never came back out. Sadly, life is short that way.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4870 posts
457 upvotes
Victoria
Something's going on here whether it's pesticides or the alcohol who knows. With all the attention they'll get to the bottom of it for sure but it makes sense to take precautions. Not sure what you could do about a possible pesticide poisoning. I guess if the room really smells of pesticides then raise it as an issue. The Dominican Republic needs tourism desperately so I'm sure they're on this. I mean the north coast has been decimated by a bunch of tour operators from the UK etc pulling out so if they pull out of the PC area it's over.
Not a political sig
[OP]
Dec 20, 2018
933 posts
799 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 5:00 pm
RIP to the victim.

But there’s a lot of holes to this story...
- That resort is 1800+ rooms (and you can triple that number based on the amount of guests there at any given time as some rooms are 2 & 3 bedrooms). So only 1 person of a minimum 3600 ppl got sick?
- I’ve stayed at Hard Rock Punta Cana 5x over the years. There’s no alcohol in the mini bar besides beer- there are liquor dispensers in the room though. (((Can liquor expire/ be tampered with? Who knows))))

This man is also in his 60s- so sudden death isn’t exactly an extraordinary possibility.

My uncle recently passed away last year at 67 (perfectly healthy still worked- working in a position that required psychical labour). He went to go grab something for a bbq he was making with his wife and never came back outside. My aunt found him on the floor 10 minutes later when he never came back out. Sadly, life is short that way.
Of course alcohol can be tempered with . Especially hard liquor. If it can't, Mexico wouldn't have been able to confiscate over 37,000L of illicit alcohol from bars and resorts

People of all ages have been dying suspiciously in Mexico and DR , no doubt some are "legitimate"

But not strange as so many and so much fake alcohol have been confiscated that some of it have made its way to tourists and much like street drugs, fake alcohol doesn't always kill as that's not the purpose or intent just like street drugs . It's just a byproduct of the illegal manufacturing and ingredients
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2059 posts
1181 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
StatsGuy wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 5:26 pm
Of course alcohol can be tempered with . Especially hard liquor. If it can't, Mexico wouldn't have been able to confiscate over 37,000L of illicit alcohol from bars and resorts

People of all ages have been dying suspiciously in Mexico and DR , no doubt some are "legitimate"

But not strange as so many and so much fake alcohol have been confiscated that some of it have made its way to tourists and much like street drugs, fake alcohol doesn't always kill as that's not the purpose or intent just like street drugs . It's just a byproduct of the illegal manufacturing and ingredients
I’m not disputing that there is certainly “fake alcohol”.

But from the few stories “ guest drinks from mini bar and dies” are odd cases. The majority of resorts (in Punta Cana especially) are massive properties that have thousands of people checked in at any given time (as in the Hard Rock - 1800 rooms ... Bahia Principe Complex is over 4000+ rooms). The likelihood of ONE of all the bottles of liquor available being “fake” or “contaminated” and ONE out of thousands dies from this is what I question.

...Could be it something even more sinister like someone PURPOSELY putting a “roofie” or some type of “date rape” drug inside a drink/bottle? With the intent to move on the victim once they are down (rape? robbery?)

I just think statistically if there is indeed that much “fake booze” being served the numbers of ill/dead would be dozens per day and hundreds a month.

...The deaths that are most questionable to me are the couple who died in their hotel rooms in La Romana.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4600 posts
643 upvotes
I think there are lots of people who may've gotten sick but not nearly enough to be hospitalized, etc. Seems like the death are older eg 50 & up. It is entirely possible many more people are getting sick but not nearly as serious
I am a Koodo customer
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13499 posts
2740 upvotes
Markham
Another one.

Another American Dies in the Dominican Republic: Leyla Cox, 53, Found Dead in Hotel Room

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/people.com/ ... ttack/amp/
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Dec 20, 2018
933 posts
799 upvotes
Keigotw wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 11:09 am
Another one.

Another American Dies in the Dominican Republic: Leyla Cox, 53, Found Dead in Hotel Room
Excellence resort again?

Same one where American tourist was beaten to a pulp in May?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/majestic-e ... -republic/

Tammy Lawrence-Daley was on vacation with her husband at the Majestic Elegance Resort in the Dominican Republic when she says she went downstairs alone one night in search of a snack. Then the man attacked her.

The man, Lawrence-Daley says, was wearing a resort uniform. She tried to fight him off, but after he strangled her she lost consciousness.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2059 posts
1181 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
StatsGuy wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 10:34 pm
Excellence resort again?

Same one where American tourist was beaten to a pulp in May?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/people.com/ ... ttack/amp/
The women viciously attacked was MAJESTIC RESORTS (there are two sections ‘Majestic Elegance’ where I believe it took place and ‘Majestic Colonial’)

...Excellence Resorts is a separate resort - no affiliation. One of the better ones IMHO.

This women was at the Bahia Principe La Romana same place as the other couple. There’s something going on there and the responsibility should be on local authorities (and the US gov) to investigate before they continue to accept guests. Kind of like how the NTSB gets involved when flight accidents involves Americans no matter which soil the accident took place.

There’s a bit of fear mongering by stating “man dies of heart attack while staying at ABC Hotel”
...Having worked in the front office at hotels in Toronto (and Italy) I can’t tell you how many times we’ve had to call an ambulance for someone who has fallen ill and being away from their home going to the hospital is the only option. Sudden illness or accidents do not discriminate unfortunately (children, adults, seniors). When I worked as flight attendant I remember many times we repatriated remains to Canada (most notably Florida routes). I don’t know if Canada publishes that data but here’s a good article about Americans:
https://time.com/4250811/travel-safety/

On a personal note though, my husband’s profession is somewhat directly in building/maintaining both private residences and public to make sure they are within ‘safe’ building code. I can’t tell you how many times all over the world he’s pointed out to me how “unsafe” or “not to code” some things are that I would never think of (I.E how railings were installed, elevators, electrical wiring around pool areas). A good example; the pool electrocution that took place in Jamaica a few months ago at the Palladium.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8146 posts
2454 upvotes
Toronto
We were looking at AI resorts at the end of Aug. Puerto Vallarta had many flights cancelled. Some parts of Playa del Carmen has seaweed problems. Domincan Republic resorts seem to have pretty good prices, especially Air Canada vacations having better prices than the others. Next would be Costa Rica (e.g. Riu Guanacaste). But these stories at DR don't sound good. If DR doesn't solve those violent crimes ASAP, we would avoid going there.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27584 posts
13515 upvotes
Ottawa
Terrible news and discouraging to say the least.
We went to DR (Punta Cana) last year and Mexico (Rivera Maya) this year and everything went well.
We have young kids and safety is definitely our main priority.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21269 posts
7298 upvotes
Aren't we up to 9 now?

Also apparently someone got really sick but lived.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)