11/11 What to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2016 9:46 pm
Tags:
Nov 8, 2016
139 posts
104 upvotes

11/11 What to buy?

Hey guys as you all may know 11/11 is here and it looks good, at least on Aliexpress as far as phones go.
First of all i like to "sprinkle" a lot of xda on my phones so my phones are rooted/moded/xposed etc. I want the phone to have root possibility at least. I owned Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, 2 x LG G3 and LG G FLex 2. Curently i went back to Nexus 5 as I gave one G3 to my mother in law and the other one to my wife. Nexus 5 still does what it needs to. Very fast with MM and very little lag for a phone that is now almost 3 years old. Camera sucks balls but still it was my decision to go back to it.
#1 affordable
i am not a moron to spend more than 400-500 on a phone. i know it is the new trend but i am not pissing away my money for something that will be worth that price in half a year.

#2 modding
i need root at least

#3 on screen buttons
self-explanatory. Since the galaxy nexus i praised the on screen buttons. people say it's taking over the screen. Yes and no. When you don't need them they go away and i could't say that for capacitive buttons.

#4 64 GB minimum

and if there is an sd card slot the better

Brand, size, etc i dont care...

My summary is as following:

LG V10 365$
+love the button layout (one thing i loved about LG and it changed the way I use my phones)
+ hi-fi dac is awesome (I have my V-Moda's that need some juice)
+rugged, removable battery and sd card.
+second lcd

-old cpu since they skipped the sd810 so its 2 gen older than other devices of newer/same age. had the g flex 2 with sd810 and it was a beast when it got MM.

Letv X900 315$
+cpu is sd810
+hi-fi dac
+nice looking device

-capacitive buttons
-no sd card slot
-chinese roms etc...would be a pain to look for mods

Lastly NEXUS 6P would be my choice but it is priced to damn high even for used ones.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
zconiglietti wrote: Lastly NEXUS 6P would be my choice but it is priced to damn high even for used ones.
Check Amazon.com on black Friday. If last year was any indication of upcoming sales, Nexus 6p or some last year high-end phone might be on sale. Last year it was Nexus 6 for $199.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
exchange rate is so bad, prices on Aliexpress are not that good anymore
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Keigotw wrote: exchange rate is so bad, prices on Aliexpress are not that good anymore
This, plus the shipping times, plus the possibility of custom fees/taxes, hard to justify.
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
524 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Aliexpress should have a Canadian site for Canadians. Or at least a warehouse in Vancouver or GTA.
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
this, plus I don't trust Aliexpress anymore. Got burned, never again. I would rather stick to amazon or local stores
Public Mobile $38 4Gb LTE data on Canada's largest LTE network
Unlimited Province Wide Calling, Global Texting/MMS, Voicemail and Caller ID
iPhone 7 plus 128Gb Black
Dec 6, 2008
300 posts
145 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm done with aliexpress. They wanted a scan of my drivers license, passport and credit card to continue buying. As if.
Just some guy in Ottawa.
Nov 8, 2016
139 posts
104 upvotes
So I ordered something there, received crap, opened a dispute and it was refunded. I had far more worse experience with Amazons marketplace.
Second exchange rate doesn't bother me that much cuz in the 11th the prices drop a lot and the price more than compensates the exchange rate.
Shipping times I would agree.
And at the end of the day what phones are you guys suggesting. Doesn't have to be ali express.
Aug 10, 2004
366 posts
176 upvotes
Calgary
the lg v10 seems interesting but its already a year old. im considering a redmi note 3

what are/did you get?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I got burned by AliExpress. Ordered a tea set and it came broken in pieces. They flat out told me I broke it. It was packaged so badly any shipping would wreck it. They wouldn't do anything so I started the AliExpress dispute. They lied to the representative by saying I broke it myself and no refund be issued. I had enough and sent the conversation and pictures of the product to my credit card company and reversed the charges. They banned me from AliExpress.

Back to topic, I'll go for the Xiaomi Mix. I think it's one of the best if not the best Chinese phone on the market