Expired Hot Deals

[Dollarama] 11 W CFL at Dollarama - DEFECTIVE - Return for replacement or refund

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2005 9:08 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 6, 2004
774 posts
3 upvotes
Halifax

[Dollarama] 11 W CFL at Dollarama - DEFECTIVE - Return for replacement or refund

More offers from Dollarama
I couldn't believe my eyes, 11 W CFL bulbs at dollarama. Made for Dollarama so I'm sure they are available all over (or will be). Seem to work well, and supposed to last 6000 hours.

Question:
With Dollarama's policy of no exchanges or returns all final sale, what recourse is there if the bulbs don't last 6000 hours? For example if everyone I buy goes belly-up in three weeks.

EDIT: Dollarama is accepting the return of the CFLs that were sold with a "yellow" backing. They are DANGEROUS and you will get a full refund or substitution for the Sunbeam CFLs.

EDIT: Here is a link to the news story and information to contact Dollarama in case the store gives you trouble.
http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/050629/il_ul_w ... .html?.v=1
77 replies
Feb 26, 2004
374 posts
9 upvotes
protectivedad wrote:I couldn't believe my eyes, 11 W CFL bulbs at dollarama. Made for Dollarama so I'm sure they are available all over (or will be). Seem to work well, and supposed to last 6000 hours.

Question:
With Dollarama's policy of no exchanges or returns all final sale, what recourse is there if the bulbs don't last 6000 hours? For example if everyone I buy goes belly-up in three weeks.
Surprised to see these at D @ Ogilvie/Blair in Ottawa
Looks like a good deal to me...
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Hot deal, but the power saving bulbs I got before from cheaper places (Chinese dollar store) looked bad and died really quickly.

What kind of recourse do you have if they die before 6000 hours? Go buy them elsewhere.
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Aug 4, 2004
762 posts
Headhunter wrote:Hot deal, but the power saving bulbs I got before from cheaper places (Chinese dollar store) looked bad and died really quickly.

What kind of recourse do you have if they die before 6000 hours? Go buy them elsewhere.

How would one prove the bulb lasted less than 6000 hours anyway? :confused:
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
3914 posts
1 upvote
Who's going to raise a stink over a $1 light bulb? If it doesn't last 6000 hours, I wouldn't be surprised at all. What do you really expect for a buck? As a recourse, I suppose you can take the manufacturer to small claims court to get your dollar back.
My DVDs for sale

"I want you to step back from the guacamole dip! I want you to put the chicken fingers down!"

U2 360 Tour in Vancouver, 2 Tickets for sale http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/pair ... -a-805801/
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2004
1688 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
guy its a dollar dude anyways, how are these bulbs, anyone have any experience on them?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9268 posts
657 upvotes
Brampton
now i can study with the lights on!
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0.
Ebay Feedback 199 and counting.
RFD Feedback 41-0-0 and counting.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
GT108 wrote:How would one prove the bulb lasted less than 6000 hours anyway? :confused:
It's like refunding a hamburger; who actually does it?

The crappier (not even cheaper, at that point) bulbs I got, died in a couple of months of casual usage; it wasn't anywhere close to 6000 hours for me.
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
2953 posts
9 upvotes
It's not just the dollar... It's the deadly chemicals (like mercury) that go down the drain with your lonnie...
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
Headhunter wrote:It's like refunding a hamburger; who actually does it?
People on RFD :cheesygri

They'd price match and use rebates on hamburgers if they existed.
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2004
1688 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
B40 wrote:People on RFD :cheesygri

They'd price match and use rebates on hamburgers if they existed.

lol thats soo sad but probabley true
Feb 6, 2003
951 posts
30 upvotes
I was at Metrotown (Burnaby - GVRD) once I was in the A&W line-up and one lady argued for like 5 mins. over the refund of a Mama burger ($1.49); she ate like 80% of the burger and refused a new one. I was really ticked, because I was going to be late for work; however I really admired her persistance (must of been a RFDer). She was loud, noisey, lots of hand actions and some what plain rude. I should of gotten her name and number, for the PM @ Staples. :lol:
Headhunter wrote:It's like refunding a hamburger; who actually does it?

The crappier (not even cheaper, at that point) bulbs I got, died in a couple of months of casual usage; it wasn't anywhere close to 6000 hours for me.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2004
774 posts
3 upvotes
Halifax
The bulbs do have UL on them.

I noticed that the GE bulbs I bought earlier have mecury in them so it's not the "cheap" bulbs that only have mercury (don't know if the dollarama have or not).

The reason I ask about the recourse is because the package of 2 GE 15W I bought for $7 and at $3.50 each if they go bad I call GE and they send me restitution (last time I received $25 in three coupons). Prove? Who needs to prove? As long as it is reasonable I don't experience any problems.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2002
1919 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
And the name brands don't necessarily last more than 6000 hours either. I got some of the ones from Costco (GE i think), and 2/3 of them died well before 6000 hours.
× < >