[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2001
6893 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto

11hr night flight on Air Canada

hello.

So i am booking a flight to south america in late jan/early feb.
Flying Air Canada direct.

how much extra leg room is there in the front row and emergency exit rows?
Wondering if they are worth the $90 premuim.
Also, on a 11hr night flight, what can I expect for food or beverage in economy class?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1500 posts
799 upvotes
You need to go to SeatGuru.com

You'll find tons of info there to answer these types of Questions.

If you do your research you can see what are the best seat in any plane... great help when picking seats on say the Air Canada Website.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28256 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
Front row is not a good deal. You have a bulkhead and cannot stretch out under the seat in front of you.
Exit or emergency rows do have extra room bit they are often by a bathroom so you never get rest anyway plus, they can be cold because the emergency exit door transmits the cold air.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1146 posts
338 upvotes
New York City
Depends on the aircraft you are flying OP. If it is a high-density configuration (e.g. 777), the bulkhead sits behind Premium Economy which has tons of leg room. $90 is a drop in the bucket at $8/hour for additional comfort.

If it is a "wall" as per Pete_Coach mentioned, I would go for the exit row.

Don't hold your breath for the food/drinks in economy class (heck even Business), I always bring my own food/snacks on board.
May 7, 2017
293 posts
121 upvotes
the worst is being close to the bathroom at those seats
Sep 13, 2016
963 posts
413 upvotes
Exit rows/front rows have following cons:
No seat pouch in front of you.
You will get tired taking tray tables out and putting them back in.
Since there is no seat in front, you cannot plant your feet. Thus if you try to lean back, you will have no support for your feet, and you will always be sliding.
Washrooms near your seat, so the area will always be crowded.
For all these cons, the only pro you get is a huge leg room.
Sep 19, 2013
953 posts
275 upvotes
Winnipeg
balou911 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:42 am
how much extra leg room is there in the front row and emergency exit rows?
Wondering if they are worth the $90 premuim.
Also, on a 11hr night flight, what can I expect for food or beverage in economy class?
I dont think the premium is worth. yes, your body becomes stiff. but the stiffness goes away after a good sleep when you reach your destination. i travel for 25-30 hours (2 flights with a stopover). some ppl take 16-18 hour long flight. also mid-flight you can go into the aisles for a 3-4 min walk, stretch. its not that bad.

regarding meals, there will be two set meals (with 2 options each). if you have dietary restrictions, you need to tell them before hand.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2001
6893 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
777 indeed.
reading reviews, mixed reviews on row 18, first eco row.
more leg room / less leg room due to bulkheads. also, carts and people bumping into aisle seats all the time.

I might try row 60, aisle seats j or k. Goes down to 2 per row here, so you get more aisle room, maybe more room to stretch out, plus extra basket of the seat next to yours.

Here is an example of my plane :

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_C ... ass_v4.php?
Dec 26, 2005
611 posts
149 upvotes
A year ago, I was on a 13.5 hour to thailand, and decided to upgrade to the premium economy, emergency row.
Two of us took the window and aisle seats so had the middle seat free for extra room. I'm not tall so I don't need the extra leg room, but still found the extra $100 was worth it to be able to stretch out or cross my legs.
As for food, we were fed 3 times, along with free alcohol all flight. made for a much shorter\more bearable trip :P
I went again 5 months later, and just did regular economy. I was pretty miserable for most of the flight.
I'm going again in a week, and will be looking at upgrading my seats again.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7879 posts
565 upvotes
OP - can you see roughly how full your flight is? My last trip (shorter, only lhr) I could see the plane was and would be quite empty. I picked a row in the middle where the seats were empty. Both to and from lhr, I had the whole row to myself and was able to sleep across it. Poor man's business class. Quite nice.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4369 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
IndyBeak wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:38 pm
Exit rows/front rows have following cons:
No seat pouch in front of you.
You will get tired taking tray tables out and putting them back in.
Since there is no seat in front, you cannot plant your feet. Thus if you try to lean back, you will have no support for your feet, and you will always be sliding.
Washrooms near your seat, so the area will always be crowded.
For all these cons, the only pro you get is a huge leg room.
I usually bring an inflating square thing similar to a beach ball. I inflate it after everything is settle down, and deflate it again after the aircraft is about to land.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7106 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
Air Canada is very generous on alcohol if that's what you were asking. Nothing top shelf but they'll usually provide you with 2shots or 2 bottles of wine and keep them coming as long as you look likes you can handle it. Air Canada is also pretty good about walking up and down the aisle with a big bottle of water encouraging you stay stay hydrated (and you should)

Food is your typical economy airline fare. You can always grab some fast food take out from pearson.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7983 posts
2826 upvotes
Toronto
Every minute you'll hear the toilet flushing and the occasional strong uninviting smell.
BeanFinn wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:34 pm
the worst is being close to the bathroom at those seats

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2001
6893 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
Booked.
18c on the way there, 18k on the way back.
Partly for the leg room, partly to get the hell out quickly.
My wife reminded me of my impatience for the general public at large.

Seatguru helped a bit, but there are plenty of travel forums with pics and discussion on this exact topic.
Bulk head vs emergency exit. Aisle vs window.