Tags:
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28221 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
rubeus wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:03 pm
In Rome, head to the Trastevere area at night for dinner, great atmosphere and many good restaurants.
Less touristy and a great place to walk around at night.
Disagree with Trastevere. While it is certainly is less touristy, there are great restaurants all over Rome. Trastevere is a residential area. Not much to look at, especially in the evenings.
If in Rome only for a few days, why leave the areas you came to see. Yes, they are touristy but, you have a very short time to see the place. The touristy areas are spectacular and well lit during the evening. There are great restaurants and even street entertainers.
If I was in Rome (or Florence or Venice)for a week or more then I would agree to get off the beaten path for a bit of quiet but, in 3 days, you need to absorb what has made the place attractive enough for you to spend lots of money to see.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Sep 27, 2010
80 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
kanon wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:04 pm
For anyone who has been there, are restaurant reservations needed in Rome and Florence?
Some places do get packed, and there is no rush to clear the tables for the next customer. I think reservations are needed only if you really want a specific restaurant, or if you don't want to walk around looking for one. But there should be plenty of restaurants around without needing reservations if you're open to walking around, which is part of the fun. You're going at a time when it is less crowded, so I think you will be fine. We went in September and we didn't have any issues.
Nov 3, 2002
817 posts
44 upvotes
ghuraba wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:22 am
Some places do get packed, and there is no rush to clear the tables for the next customer. I think reservations are needed only if you really want a specific restaurant, or if you don't want to walk around looking for one. But there should be plenty of restaurants around without needing reservations if you're open to walking around, which is part of the fun. You're going at a time when it is less crowded, so I think you will be fine. We went in September and we didn't have any issues.
I think italy is a place where you can wander around and find great food in plenty of restaurants. Avoid places that look really touristy or are just outside tourist spots.
Many have patios so you can see what others are eating before going in. If things on the menu look interesting to you go ahead give it a try.

OF course you can look on trip advisor and make a reservation for a special meal. But generally you are safe without a reservation.

Paris I think is the total opposite. there you need a recommendation and probably a reservation. Unfortunately I've have many a so-so meal in paris.
Nov 3, 2002
817 posts
44 upvotes
rubeus wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:03 pm
In Rome, head to the Trastevere area at night for dinner, great atmosphere and many good restaurants.
Less touristy and a great place to walk around at night.
From Lonely planet (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/rome ... 79d277b005)

"Evening: authentic cuisine and craft beers
Romans and tourists flock to Trastevere to enjoy its lively nightlife: shutters are raised to reveal bars and nightclubs across the neighbourhood, trattorias fill to bursting point with eager diners, and groups gather in the streets smoking and chatting.
To fuel up for the night ahead, take your pick of trattorias, pizzerias or fine dining. "