Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
eBay.ca

$12 and up 3D Metal Earth Laser Cut Model Kits

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2016 4:50 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1153 posts
832 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
I've done the Arc de Triumph and R2D2 so far. I actually enjoyed it more than I would have initially guessed. I've got a tank here to go still and I just ordered another 7 of them. :D
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This looks pretty cool. Anyone have recommendations on tools to buy on aliexpress, what we need? The mastermind ones are $18! Which one should I start first for a n00b?
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
Well im back and ready to report on my experience.

First let me preface this with some background info on me. Ive always been good with my hands and able to decipher diagrams/schematics. If I had to place myself on a scale I would say that im a little bit above average. To quantify this, im able to fold this paper rose with relative ease:

Its a bar trick thats come in handy more than once, I would use the foil paper from a cigarette pack.

So now that ive got that out of the way lets get back to the R2D2. This was my first Metal Earth model build and I would describe it as time consuming more than difficult. I was able to complete the project in roughly 3 hours. I did however, manage to break the ankle piece to R2D2's middle leg(I plan on fixing it with some super glue and plain paper as scaffolding).

From the tool kit I bought I used the snips(highly recommended as the snips are shaped perfectly for cutting out the pieces) and the needle nose pliers the most. I barely used the pliers on the far left as it was too large for most pieces on this project. A pair of tweezers is also recommended as I used that a fair bit as well.

I would not recommend this for people who get frustrated easily or people who are all thumbs. This will be more pain than joy for you if either of those apply.

My next project will either be that samurai/Chinese armour or a tank, still havent decided yet.

Edit: posted incorrect paper rose
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
foodyforlife wrote: This looks pretty cool. Anyone have recommendations on tools to buy on aliexpress, what we need? The mastermind ones are $18! Which one should I start first for a n00b?
If there is any post Xmas inventory left at your local Home Depot, they have Husky mini plier sets on clearance for $9. (Website say $9.88, but they were $9 at my local store.) https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.husk ... 37656.html

These are decent quality, better than the Mastercraft mini pliers, especially the moulded handles.
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
MrFrugal1 wrote: If there is any post Xmas inventory left at your local Home Depot, they have Husky mini plier sets on clearance for $9. (Website say $9.88, but they were $9 at my local store.) https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.husk ... 37656.html

These are decent quality, better than the Mastercraft mini pliers, especially the moulded handles.
Thats a good looking set especially considering the price. The only issue I see with that set is that it looks like they have teeth on them. This will scratch/bend the pieces in ways that you do not want it to. You want all of your pliers to have a flat surface to avoid such issues.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
gimmesomee wrote: Thats a good looking set especially considering the price. The only issue I see with that set is that it looks like they have teeth on them. This will scratch/bend the pieces in ways that you do not want it to. You want all of your pliers to have a flat surface to avoid such issues.
Good point. The needle nose do have teeth, however there is one pair in this set that have flat faced jaws.
I think if you are careful not to squeeze the pieces too hard, or twist them sideways whilst holding them, they may not scratch.
Another thing you could do is put a thin coating of Dollarama two part epoxy to fill the grooves in the teeth. (Just don't close the jaws when you do so...)
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Interesting. Thanks for the tips and hint. Gonna check out Home Depot and dollarama for the glue!
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
If anyone finds a cheap source for this one please let me know, thanks in advance!

Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote: Nice job on R2!

Here's Iron Man on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Metal-Earth-Iron ... 1502755791

Read the warning on the package - ADVANCED MODEL - not recommended for beginners...
I actually botched up R2's ankle but im good with camera angles ;) .

Thanks for the link as well but 37CAD is more than im prepared to pay for the Ironman model. Ill probably just wait for the price to come down on it. Just to note, it has 3 sheets instead of 2, its definitely on the more difficult end of the spectrum. The red and gold really stands out which is why I like it.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dang these things have been going up in price now.
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
So I received my orders from Lele's store on Aliexpress and noticed that they are not the same as the ones you buy retail here at Mastermind Toys.

The Mastermind Toy versions are made with what appears to be aluminium and the ones I got from Lele appears to be steel. The Mastermind one is a lot shinier and lighter, the Lele ones are heavier and much more dull. Appearance wise the Mastermind ones are nicer IMO but the Lele ones are more forgiving if you folder the pieces the wrong way.
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
Just a heads up to everyone, do not order the Tiger Tank from Lele store. Its missing 3 wheels, ive looked over the instructions and can confirm that it is missing 3x pieces of #23, #23 is a wheel piece. Ive already released payment to them but emailed them yesterday anyways to see if they will fix this.

Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2335 posts
574 upvotes
That's very strange that it would be missing three pieces as the designs are usually printed out on a couple of sheets. Maybe check out this video to double check:
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2499 posts
991 upvotes
I retail these in my store and price has gone up due to USD - CAD exchange rate. They are laser cut and takes time and care to make them. A lot of people who buy them never completes them or ruin them by not taking time to cut them out properly. Cheap ones you find on Ebay or Aliexpress are not as finely cut so they are difficult to make and they don't look as good. I made about 9 of the Metal Earth and made couple of copy cat ones and they are different.
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote: That's very strange that it would be missing three pieces as the designs are usually printed out on a couple of sheets. Maybe check out this video to double check:
Im a retard, I found the pieces in the body of the tank.