Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

VPS 60% off annually acquisition coupon

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2014 6:19 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 23, 2006
37 posts
126 upvotes
Markham

VPS 60% off annually acquisition coupon

Deal Link:
Savings:
60% off
Seems like the company is being bought out by New Wave NetConnect LLC, the company behind ChicagoVPS.

There have been mixed reviews over their services, so buyer beware.

The coupon "NEWERA" gets you 60% off annually. It doesn't look like you can apply it to add-ons (at least not for the VPS I had).

I've had their Linux $5 US/year service for a while now, and for the most part it seems to work fine. Now with this coupon for example, I can get the following for $5.60 US/year:
VPS - Linux (OVZ) (SSD-Cached) - Linux-512-SolusVM
Instant Setup! SSD Caching Technology
Guaranteed RAM: 512MB
vSwap: 512MB
Disk Space: 20GB
Bandwidth: 1TB/Month
2 CPU Cores
1 IP Address
SolusVM Control Panel

Compare that to my original $5 US/year VPS:
Guaranteed RAM: 128MB
vSwap: 128MB
Disk Space: 5GB
Bandwidth: 350GB/Month
1vCPU
1 IP Address

Here is the e-mail:

[QUOTE]New Wave NetConnect Acquires 123Systems

We are very pleased and excited to announce that New Wave NetConnect LLC., the company behind market leader ChicagoVPS, has acquired 123Systems. We are currently conducting a thorough review of all aspects of 123Systems and intend on immediately implementing numerous changes to improve service quality. No aspect of your current service at 123Systems will change, as we will be operating it as a separate division, but with the advantage of our buying power and 24/7 support department. Please continue logging into your customer management system and paying for your services as normal to the existing PayPal account at this time.

We are acutely aware that the services provided by 123Systems over the past year have not been adequate. We want to work with you personally to resolve any outstanding issues and rebuild your trust in 123Systems. I invite you to submit a ticket or email me directly (chris@chicagovps.net) and I will work with you directly.

To celebrate our acquisition use coupon “NEWERA” for 60% off everything. Order here: https://123systems.net/billing/cart.php

Thank you for your time,

Chris Fabozzi

Owner, New Wave NetConnect[/QUOTE]
15 replies
Banned
Oct 24, 2006
56 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry for the noob question, but what would be the best use for this? Webserver? VPN? Proxy?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2009
1066 posts
1160 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Keyser-_-Soze wrote: Sorry for the noob question, but what would be the best use for this? Webserver? VPN? Proxy?

Thanks!
vpn/proxy server only. I wouldn't recommend a dirt cheap vps like this for a webserver unless your site is static
Banned
Oct 24, 2006
56 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
arberb wrote: vpn/proxy server only. I wouldn't recommend a dirt cheap vps like this for a webserver unless your site is static
Ok cool, that's kinda what I was hoping. Was thinking of getting something like this setup to help me cut the cord.
Mar 6, 2010
369 posts
112 upvotes
arberb wrote: vpn/proxy server only. I wouldn't recommend a dirt cheap vps like this for a webserver unless your site is static
Then you sure haven't been to LowEndBox.com/LowEndTalk.com

512MB is waaaayyyy more than enough to host a website.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2009
1066 posts
1160 upvotes
Calgary, AB
zhuanyi wrote: Then you sure haven't been to LowEndBox.com/LowEndTalk.com

yes 512mb is fine to host a site. But the problem is these hosts that offer that much ram for $5/year tend to be unreliable and oversold
Banned
Oct 24, 2006
56 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
I am looking to use the vpn/proxy to connect to hulu, game central and other various US paid and free programming/streaming services.

Would this be a good option for that?

Sorry for all the questions, I have not done all my research on this, but don't want to miss this deal if it good for my needs.
Mar 6, 2010
369 posts
112 upvotes
arberb wrote: yes 512mb is fine to host a site. But the problem is these hosts that offer that much ram for $5/year tend to be unreliable and oversold
Try to go with Xen or KVM, those are more difficult to oversell.
Mar 6, 2010
369 posts
112 upvotes
Keyser-_-Soze wrote: I am looking to use the vpn/proxy to connect to hulu, game central and other various US paid and free programming/streaming services.

Sorry for all the questions, I have not done all my research on this, but don't want to miss this deal if it good for my needs.

This would be an overkill (even though from a price standpoint it is great), get a smaller VPS from INIZ.

Or one of the good providers here:

small-vps-deals-thread-1314718/8/
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
zhuanyi wrote: Then you sure haven't been to LowEndBox.com/LowEndTalk.com

512MB is no where near enough to host a collection of funny cat pictures.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Mar 6, 2010
369 posts
112 upvotes
TCWeasel wrote: 512MB is no where near enough to host a collection of funny cat pictures.
Huh? If you are holding static sites even 64MB will work. It is HDD space that you should be more worried about.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5147 posts
1069 upvotes
these guys and ChicagoVPS are terrible. If you are using for production stay away, just leisure play dont care about uptime etc then its alright you have been warned.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
May 13, 2004
905 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
akz wrote: these guys and ChicagoVPS are terrible. If you are using for production stay away, just leisure play dont care about uptime etc then its alright you have been warned.
I agree. Don't use 123systems if you value reliability. Stay away! Go with digiocean or other more reputable provider.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
2194 posts
1103 upvotes
London
Keyser-_-Soze wrote: I am looking to use the vpn/proxy to connect to hulu, game central and other various US paid and free programming/streaming services.

Don't rush yourself on these VPS deals. There's plenty to be had at places like lowendbox. Rushing ends up wasting your money. Better off researching which cheap vps providers are actually good. You don't wanna be like those guys who own 3-10 VPS for the hell of it lol.

A VPN is very simple to do and it's probably best with almost any low end VPS provider. You'll likely require some learning, but it isn't difficult at all.
Apr 28, 2008
126 posts
152 upvotes
If you are using this just for VPN you might want to consider a VPN provider like VPN.sh or similar. They used to have a pay what you want VPN promo. Pay 1 GBP for a year of service and get 20 gigs of usage per month or something like that.

If you do use a VPS for VPN only, check their terms of service (will they shut you down for certain uses), look for a script or tutorial on setting up a secure box running e.g. OpenVPN and then pick your OS to match the tutorial.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)