• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2018 11:38 am
[OP]
May 6, 2006
265 posts
58 upvotes
Brampton

$14,000 Ontario BEV Rebate Cancellation Impact

We were in a Chevy dealership asking about the Bolt BEV (battery electric vehicle) and the $14K rebate from the government of Ontario. The salesman said if we put a $2.5K deposit down and the rebate is cancelled due to Prog Conservative win in the upcoming election then we are responsible to purchase the Bolt at the full price without rebate. At minimum we would lose the deposit. Another dealership emailed saying their $1K deposit is refundable if the rebate is cancelled. The lead time is anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. Plenty of time for a new government to dramatically reduce or drop the subsidy causing orders to dry up.

Two questions.

- Any opinions on the rebate surviving if the government turns PC. I was told the rebate is funded by the carbon tax and not directly by the government.
- Would a dealership let the buyer off the hook and refund the deposit or even try to enforce the contract. It would be great if someone from the car industry can comment.

I think anyone planning on ordering a BEV would have a similar concern.
Share:
415 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15229 posts
3157 upvotes
Toronto
You can't predict the future. The rebate could still be there at the full amount, reduced or removed altogether. I suggest don't buy a car unless you know the final fate of the rebate, if the rebate is such a deal breaker for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1532 posts
461 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Why are you dealing with a salesman who overcharges on the deposit by $1,500 and then tries to scare the crap out of you by claiming you will be on the hook for the full amount?
If you have a shred of common sense, avoid this crook.
Apr 14, 2016
197 posts
27 upvotes
My understanding is that rebate is applied base on the purchased date and not delivery date. So if you purchased the car now and the car is delivered later and no more GOVT incentive are available you are still getting yours as the contract date was prior to the changes.
Another thing is that once and if there are no more govt incentives the prices of the car will drop. I bet you those prices are so inflated now because of the incentive.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6515 posts
1138 upvotes
Mississauga
HotYaris wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 4:41 pm
Why are you dealing with a salesman who overcharges on the deposit by $1,500 and then tries to scare the crap out of you by claiming you will be on the hook for the full amount?
If you have a shred of common sense, avoid this crook.
You guys crack me up. If the salesman didn't advise op about the possible cancellation of the rebate and the obligation to still purchase the vehicle with no rebate we would be reading in the next thread in a year. " Salesman didn't advise me i had to purchase the vehicle if the rebate went away" and what would the Rfd community call the salesman in this instance.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2853 posts
1040 upvotes
No cap and trade carbon program, no rebate. That's how the rebate is funded. Doug Ford is against cap and trade, meaning the rebate can't be funded under his government.

If vehicle delivery is after June and you need the rebate don't order until after the election in June.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Oct 24, 2016
428 posts
278 upvotes
ON
yyzaf1 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 5:00 pm
My understanding is that rebate is applied base on the purchased date and not delivery date. So if you purchased the car now and the car is delivered later and no more GOVT incentive are available you are still getting yours as the contract date was prior to the changes.
Another thing is that once and if there are no more govt incentives the prices of the car will drop. I bet you those prices are so inflated now because of the incentive.
1. Rebate is based on the date the car is plated irrespective of when it was actually purchased.

2. Seriously? Ontario is not the centre of universe. If Ontario discards the EV rebate and demand for EV falls in Ontario, the manufacturers will divert supply to other places where demand for EVs continues unabated.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Oct 24, 2016
428 posts
278 upvotes
ON
antigua1999 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 6:31 pm
You guys crack me up. If the salesman didn't advise op about the possible cancellation of the rebate and the obligation to still purchase the vehicle with no rebate we would be reading in the next thread in a year. " Salesman didn't advise me i had to purchase the vehicle if the rebate went away" and what would the Rfd community call the salesman in this instance.
+1

Here is a salesman who is being honest and warning about the possible loss of deposit and people have problem with the salesman. Wow!
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
2076 posts
1234 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Holystone wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 9:06 pm
1. Rebate is based on the date the car is plated irrespective of when it was actually purchased.

2. Seriously? Ontario is not the centre of universe. If Ontario discards the EV rebate and demand for EV falls in Ontario, the manufacturers will divert supply to other places where demand for EVs continues unabated.
The exception to #1:
Note that incentives will be provided under the previous EVIP program for EVs ordered prior to March 9, 2018, provided that the EV is delivered and that the application is submitted by September 7, 2018.
Source
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1462 posts
268 upvotes
Mississauga
yyzaf1 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 5:00 pm
rebate is not guaranteed, it's subject to change or cancellation at any time without notice. in fact, Ontario just cuts off rebates for EV costing more than $75K, no warning whatsoever.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicl ... bate.shtml

Note that incentives will be provided under the previous EVIP program for EVs ordered prior to March 9, 2018, provided that the EV is delivered and that the application is submitted by September 7, 2018.
Oct 24, 2016
428 posts
278 upvotes
ON
rugerty100 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 9:58 pm
The exception to #1:

Source
That’s not a rule but an exception that the government of the day provided because they tweaked the rebate program. If a future government decides to kill the rebate and does not provide a grace period then your rebate is gone even if you booked the EV before the change because you cannot submit your rebate application before your car is registered.
[OP]
May 6, 2006
265 posts
58 upvotes
Brampton
Interestingly we received an email inviting us to meet with the General Sales Manager to discuss their current promotions/loyalty offers. Perhaps they do this with all email inquiries or more people are getting cold feet specifically on the EV.
Sep 29, 2008
907 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
Holystone wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 9:08 pm
+1

Here is a salesman who is being honest and warning about the possible loss of deposit and people have problem with the salesman. Wow!
Actually no. It's quite the opposite really. He's using scare tactics against a customer he is hoping will sign a deal with him. In reality, there are very few dealers that have non-refundable deposits. Really, only the shady "is best bro" used car dealers pull that non-refundable stunt on customers. Major franchise dealerships will almost always refund the deposit if the request is made within a reasonable amount of time.

In this case the car won't be delivered at the earliest, until October 2018. If this is the case and we would potentially know about the fate of the rebate sometime in late summer, that's more than 2 months time for the customer to cancel their order. 2 months is more than enough time for the deposit to be refunded and the agreement voided.

Another sleezy sales-rep, nothing new to see here really.
Apr 14, 2016
197 posts
27 upvotes
So I was wrong in my previous post.
Here is the info I received over the phone from the Office of Ministry of Finance.
All Gov grants are subject to change without any notice regardless who is in power. Ontario is committed to the green energy act and carbon reduction and the plan is set to run until 2021. Every year Minister of Finance will review the grants and incentives and decided on any changes.
The rebate will be applied when is approved. So if you send your documents last week and today they change the rules you might not be eligible. In other words it is not the purchase day nor delivery date it is the day when your application is being process.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4544 posts
949 upvotes
Kitchener
Once a tax is in and people get used to paying it, any future government won't get rid of it because of the needed revenue stream.