• Jul 19th, 2018 11:38 am
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1945 posts
1021 upvotes
Toronto
Invalid12 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 12:11 am
You won't see many due to very limited quantity. I read somewhere only 200 units were allocated to Canada in 2017.
I see them all the time in charging spots and not charging!

BengaliPrince wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 4:20 am
If we have a Tesla model 3 reservation from last year, would that count as "EVs ordered prior to march 9 2018"? Since that's basically a "pre-order".

I just got the email to configure mine a few days ago so I didn't actually "order" it yet because I'm not sure about the 14k incentive.
No. You need to purchase the car and be driving it off the lot before whatever expire date is given to qualify for the rebate.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1009 posts
182 upvotes
some1not wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 8:53 am
I wonder what this guy drives?

My local green candidate drove a mid size SUV. Which to me is a fail. If they want to represent themselves as a better party for the environment then step up and lead by example, if not all that talk is nothing but hot air BS!
If he drove a vehicle that you found acceptable or no vehicle at all, I'm sure you'd find another reason not to support him and claim BS.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1945 posts
1021 upvotes
Toronto
I RFD wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 1:46 pm
If he drove a vehicle that you found acceptable or no vehicle at all, I'm sure you'd find another reason not to support him and claim BS.
Maybe.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Aug 7, 2017
129 posts
96 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 9:59 pm
Such vehicles are more popular in Europe where less disposable income is available for cars (more expensive housing and other living costs), where gas prices are double what they are here, and where gas guzzlers have to pay higher annual license fee. Nobody wants to drive an econobox but most people can't afford to drive a V8 in Europe or in any case justify the cost.
It's not so much lower incomes as it is vehicle prices being generally a lot higher in Europe than in North America. Take an Audi A3 sedan - starts at $33k CAD here, more like $41.5k in the UK. Then 20% VAT on top of that and you've got yourself an expensive luxury runabout - out the door in the UK it's a $50k car that would be only $37k here.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1803 posts
722 upvotes
Ontario
bya1998 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 10:24 pm
It's not so much lower incomes as it is vehicle prices being generally a lot higher in Europe than in North America. Take an Audi A3 sedan - starts at $33k CAD here, more like $41.5k in the UK. Then 20% VAT on top of that and you've got yourself an expensive luxury runabout - out the door in the UK it's a $50k car that would be only $37k here.
Prices are pretty similar by the time you add 13% to the Canadian MRSP and compare to the UK price that includes 20% VAT. VAT is included in most posted prices in the UK.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Nov 8, 2017
636 posts
124 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 2:35 pm
Ford tried the economical Ford Focus 3 cyl turbo with standard transmission here and nobody wanted to buy it despite good reviews on engine.
The Ford Focus 1.0L debacle shows how inept Ford's management is and the flaw of Mulally's One Ford strategy.
Dec 19, 2015
286 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary, AB
bya1998 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 10:24 pm
As Martin mentions VAT is included in prices in the UK/Europe unless it's business to business. There are price variables between some vehicles, but usually more specialty ones, such as the Mustang.

In the main engines are smaller because:

A. Vehicles are generally smaller. You'll rarely see a Focus Estate (wagon) and I don't think they even sell the Fiesta Saloon (sedan) in the Europe (the UK at least). The "small" secondary vehicle here is likely to be the large vehicle in the family there. By and large because of smaller roads and social norms.
B. Tax. With something like a 5.0 V8 you'd be paying the equivalent of $900-1000 a year in "road tax", rather than $100-200 for a smaller engine (based on CO2 emissions, which is one of the reasons diesel was so popular). In Alberta it's ~$85, whatever the car.
C. Fuel costs are a lot higher. Twice the price as mentioned, so fuel economy is fairly high up the priority list of most car buyers.

Disposable income is not that dissimilar, but the cost of running (rather than buying) a car is significantly more expensive, especially as it gets bigger due to a lot of the cost being related to emissions and fuel consumption. EV's have more benefits though. Currently they don't have to pay the yearly VED (Vehicle Excise Duty)/tax and they don't have to pay things like the London Congestion Charge.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
2076 posts
1235 upvotes
Richmond Hill
some1not wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 8:29 am
No. You need to purchase the car and be driving it off the lot before whatever expire date is given to qualify for the rebate.
Depends on what kind of modifications they make to the EVHIP. If it's like last time, then anyone that ordered a Model 3 LR + RWD prior to the change could still be eligible for the rebate.

By order, I mean the payment when one confirms their configuration, not the initial $1k reservation deposit.

Basically, nobody knows, but historically for this and the GreenON program, anyone that had an order prior to the change would be safe.
Mar 5, 2016
127 posts
47 upvotes
rugerty100 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2018 6:12 pm
Depends on what kind of modifications they make to the EVHIP. If it's like last time, then anyone that ordered a Model 3 LR + RWD prior to the change could still be eligible for the rebate.

By order, I mean the payment when one confirms their configuration, not the initial $1k reservation deposit.

Basically, nobody knows, but historically for this and the GreenON program, anyone that had an order prior to the change would be safe.
I hope my reservation for an e-Golf qualifies as an "order", just in case this is the route they decide to take. I technically did choose the colour and options on the vehicle, so it wasn't simply a "reservation"
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2318 posts
776 upvotes
Andy34 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 6:32 pm
As Martin mentions VAT is included in prices in the UK/Europe unless it's business to business. There are price variables between some vehicles, but usually more specialty ones, such as the Mustang.

In the main engines are smaller because:

A. Vehicles are generally smaller. You'll rarely see a Focus Estate (wagon) and I don't think they even sell the Fiesta Saloon (sedan) in the Europe (the UK at least). The "small" secondary vehicle here is likely to be the large vehicle in the family there. By and large because of smaller roads and social norms.
B. Tax. With something like a 5.0 V8 you'd be paying the equivalent of $900-1000 a year in "road tax", rather than $100-200 for a smaller engine (based on CO2 emissions, which is one of the reasons diesel was so popular). In Alberta it's ~$85, whatever the car.
C. Fuel costs are a lot higher. Twice the price as mentioned, so fuel economy is fairly high up the priority list of most car buyers.

Disposable income is not that dissimilar, but the cost of running (rather than buying) a car is significantly more expensive, especially as it gets bigger due to a lot of the cost being related to emissions and fuel consumption. EV's have more benefits though. Currently they don't have to pay the yearly VED (Vehicle Excise Duty)/tax and they don't have to pay things like the London Congestion Charge.
Vehicles are generally smaller, and very very few sedan/saloon cars generally.

I disagree with the estate/wagon comment though; Autotrader shows about 10:1 Focus hatchbacks (which are very very common cars) to estates. I mean - most people will have a small (for Canada) hatchback, but people with families will quite often go for an estate.

There is also the CMax Focus.

Oh, interesting - if you go to Autotrader.co.uk and just filter on body type, you'll see:

214k hatchback

38k saloon

29k estate

84k SUV

23k MPV (mini van)

4.6k pickup truck

Funny funny. Roughly 50/50 diesel and petrol split.
Dec 19, 2015
286 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary, AB
daverobev wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 1:51 pm
Vehicles are generally smaller, and very very few sedan/saloon cars generally.

I disagree with the estate/wagon comment though; Autotrader shows about 10:1 Focus hatchbacks (which are very very common cars) to estates. I mean - most people will have a small (for Canada) hatchback, but people with families will quite often go for an estate.

There is also the CMax Focus.

Oh, interesting - if you go to Autotrader.co.uk and just filter on body type, you'll see:

214k hatchback

38k saloon

29k estate

84k SUV

23k MPV (mini van)

4.6k pickup truck

Funny funny. Roughly 50/50 diesel and petrol split.
I guess your definition of rare is different to mine. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

As your numbers show the Hatch is king, followed by the SUV, and trailing behind are the Saloon and Estate.

Estates are rarely seen, as the numbers show. Most individuals will have a hatch and families will have a hatch and either an SUV (like a CRV or X Trail, not a seven seater) or saloon/estate. The numbers going for a Saloon/Estate have dropped significantly in the last 10 years (IIRC it's around a third), with SUV sales taking up most of that loss.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21123 posts
6010 upvotes
Toronto
Regardless the drop dead date is Sep 10.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
2076 posts
1235 upvotes
Richmond Hill
orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
I wonder if a Tesla on order qualifies, since it's not "orders made by dealerships with manufacturers". By on order, I mean the payment after configuration for a LR RWD model.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1463 posts
270 upvotes
Mississauga
rugerty100 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 7:08 pm
I wonder if a Tesla on order qualifies, since it's not "orders made by dealerships with manufacturers". By on order, I mean the payment after configuration for a LR RWD model.
it should as long as the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10.