Locked: $14,000 Ontario BEV Rebate Cancellation Impact

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2018 11:38 am
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
CanadianLurker wrote: Agreed. Thinking globally, Ontario shouldn’t bother doing anything one way or the other. If we stopped polluting altogether or if we doubled our current rate we’d still be a pittance against the others in the grand scheme of things.

But that’s the wrong lens to look through since we’re only able to drink the water and breathe the air where we’re locally living, so the global picture is irrelevant.

When you narrow it down to the GTA neighbourhood, or the Golden Horseshoe, then you get a different picture. Obviously, Ontario’s carbon footprint is going to have a much bigger than 1.7% impact on the average Ontarian’s life. We’re still going to be heavily impacted by Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and Quebec who are our immediate neighbours and what we do will also have an effect on them too.

So I really don’t care if we’re a global rounding error as that’s a false arguement and is a defeatist attitude.

Since I live in Ontario what Ontario does or doesn’t do environmentally is significant to me and the millions who live in the Great Lakes Region. We should be the neighbour that raises the bar for our Provincial/State neighbours to make things better for ourselves locally and encourages them to do the same. We shouldn’t be that neighbour that lowers the bar and expects everybody else to pick up the slack.

The number of Smog Alerts and Smog Days in Ontario has dropped significantly over the last 20 years due to what we’ve done in Ontario and due to our neighbours efforts too. We used to regularly get Los Angeles style smog/haze. Nowadays we still get some alerts but these are due to ground level ozone on hot days. We haven’t had a particulate-based hazy smog day in years.

I’d like to keep it that way. Our 1.7% globally is 100% to me locally and I don’t appreciate Bubba Ford taking away our progress and even going a step further backwards by actually encouraging an increase in fossil fuel use!
don't worry, once trump starts the auto tariff, you and everyone else will have other things to worry about, but at least it will be a lot less greenhouse gas production.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
bobbings wrote: Without knowing the buyer’s financial situation, I would take a guess that he is exaggerating his financial difficulty to gain support and to hammer out his point.

If he’s buying the car with cash, he’s now forking over 75k cash vs 60k cash with the rebate. Someone with financial difficulties would not be buying a 60 or 75k car.

And if he was financing the car at an 8 year term, interest aside, that’s like 150 bucks more a month. Perhaps that may tip the scale and they go into financial hardship but again, I doubt these Tesla buyers are financially doomed because they lost out on the rebate.

It just sucks when you weren’t expecting to pay 14k and now u are stuck with a big fat bill.
the article says tesla is offering refunds for the deposit because of this, so no one is stuck with any bill they don't want.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14472 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Personally I’d like to see Doug go after the rebates retroactively. It should not be removed on just a current and future basis.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5529 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
cartfan123 wrote: Personally I’d like to see Doug go after the rebates retroactively. It should not be removed on just a current and future basis.
Any retroactive impositions or legislation would be against common law. Well, something a dictatorship - democratic or otherwise - would do. He could also increase income taxes from years back, then charge interest for the unpaid balance.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Jul 17, 2018
372 posts
117 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: I sure admire your bladder and back.

Finally I've met the bionic and/or billion dollar man.
Really? You cannot sit down for 8 hours and cannot hold your bladder?

You should see a doctor about that.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Iamashill wrote: Really? You cannot sit down for 8 hours and cannot hold your bladder?

You should see a doctor about that.
Why would I want to do that, I am no idiot, even if I can hold it off.
Aug 7, 2017
518 posts
795 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Instead of keep arguing my point, here's an owner summarize the experience neatly better than I can.

https://forums.tesla.com/en_CA/forum/fo ... -p85-range

Again, I'm not saying you can't live with an EV. I'm saying people buy their cars for the 5% chance that they need it. That's why everyone is driving F150s and SUVs instead of Civics and Fits.
Thing is we can all cherry pick internet posts to support whatever point you want to make. For example - I just found out that the brand new 2018 F-150 is the worst car this guy has had in his life after EIGHT different vehicles!!!! Terrible quality, nobody should buy one - https://www.f150forum.com/f2/most-disap ... ty-421293/

Posts like this don't mean that these experiences are common, let alone widespread, it's one person airing their experience.

Again, I say post this stuff sh&&ing on a vehicle when you've driven and lived with it, otherwise you're just making yourself look naive.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Oil coking is non existent, considering the turbos are water cooled, but I wouldn't expect a tree hugging BEV owner to know that.
I was going on what you said about your Explorer:
vkizzle wrote: There are cleaning solutions, but the best method is walnut blasting.
Yes, all DI engines suffer from carbon build up, but it is more severe in turbocharged vehicles.
You can trust me on this, as I own a twinturbo DI vehicle and that is my only regret for owing this type of vehicle.
reggyDeal wrote: How do you deal with the carbon buildup on your twinturbo?
vkizzle wrote: I installed a catchcan to mitigate this issue.
For long term reliability, avoid DI turbo engines.
You seem to have changed your tune!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13099 upvotes
bya1998 wrote: Again, I say post this stuff sh&&ing on a vehicle when you've driven and lived with it, otherwise you're just making yourself look naive.
I won't saying spending $2K and 2 weeks and 2000 miles with a Model S in California to confirm what I thought would be an issue before putting down $100K to purchase one is naive.

I am not against EV, I just know what it is and isn't. And if you can work with the limitation and confine of an EV in 2018, good for you.

All I know at this point in my life, EV (Tesla) will not work in 5-7% of my yearly travel. And if Tesla with Supercharger won't work, other EV won't either. But I'm not oppose to owning an EV for the 90+% and own/rent an ICE for the other 5-10%

This much I know, I will own an EV before I die.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
1806 posts
1042 upvotes
Vancouver
Iamashill wrote: Really? I drove 1300 km in a single day and filled up once 900km in. I didn't stop until I filled up.
It takes me about an hour to drive 40km in a day in an urban setting. Not sure how you manage driving that much on your everyday life? That's waaay too much driving.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Martin (deal addict) wrote: I was going on what you said about your Explorer:

You seem to have changed your tune!
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
Oil coking and carbon build up are not related.
You're good a quoting Shakespeare, but not so good at researching.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3203 posts
477 upvotes
Markham
Anikiri wrote: I stated in a post before that this isn't a topic that can be addressed using "common sense." To the uneducated person, "common sense" tends to dictate the entire logical reasoning cycle within. However, climate change is undeniable and is absolutely anthropogenic.
so, it's like a religion then?

You do not have to claim the absolute everytime you mention something. Claiming government programs are akin to Marxism or Communism is rather... may I say absolutist. In other words, you are embodying the thought process of a "Sith."

There are multitudes of government run programs that you utilize on a daily basis, but certainly I haven't seen you complain about those. The roads, hydro, water, police, fire department, etc... society wouldn't be able to run without these services, which are government programs.

Having said this, if your simple suggestion to stop climate change is to simply stop procreating, then I suggest you start this program by making sure that you do not procreate. Everyone has to do their part in this, I will try my best to lower my carbon footprint, while you can simply stop trying to procreate.
I never said all gov't programs are bad. The only good result/outcome that I know of is the banning CFC and repaired the ozone layer. Unfortunately, the records of gov't inititated programs are really bad. They had to measure the successes based on "uncommon sense" metrics.

Since you like to quote movies, here's one. You can't handle the truth!!!

Nature recovered once humans stop living there. Angko Wat, Chernobyl, Fukishima etc. Earth was here long before we arrived. There is no reason that we should be the last dominant species. Except for us, there is no other animal that know how to burn fossil fuels.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13099 upvotes
Whoaness wrote: It takes me about an hour to drive 40km in a day in an urban setting. Not sure how you manage driving that much on your everyday life? That's waaay too much driving.
I think he done it once, not every day.

It's like I have done many Vancouver to Calgary drive many of times. 1000km each. I have done it with 1 stop or 2 stops (if we don't count RCMP encounters, lol)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
bya1998 wrote: Thing is we can all cherry pick internet posts to support whatever point you want to make......
Isn't that what the internet is all about. Finding things to prove your point?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
dec12 wrote: so, it's like a religion then?

I never said all gov't programs are bad. The only good result/outcome that I know of is the banning CFC and repaired the ozone layer. Unfortunately, the records of gov't inititated programs are really bad. They had to measure the successes based on "uncommon sense" metrics.

Since you like to quote movies, here's one. You can't handle the truth!!!

Nature recovered once humans stop living there. Angko Wat, Chernobyl, Fukishima etc. Earth was here long before we arrived. There is no reason that we should be the last dominant species. Except for us, there is no other animal that know how to burn fossil fuels.
Holy crap!....are we still talking about electric vehicles and cutting subsidy for them? Angkor Wat? 1000 year old temple complex?? LOL
Talk about going off the rails :facepalm:
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
thread has run its course at this point and has jumped the shark.
Be kind and civil with one another