• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2018 11:38 am
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
1672 posts
789 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 2:04 pm
Well duh. You think that Audi/MB/BMW makes small shit cars that good on fuel? People are more concerned about their image than what's in their pocket books. And NONE of them care about the environment.
Please don't put the Germans on a pedestal. They do make small "shit" (relative) cars, it's just that NA division won't import them worry that it ruin the image,

Here's the new Audi A1 with whopping 95HP.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019-audi-a1-debut/
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9465 posts
3592 upvotes
Toronto
Xtrema wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 2:29 pm
Please don't put the Germans on a pedestal. They do make small "shit" (relative) cars, it's just that NA division won't import them worry that it ruin the image,

Here's the new Audi A1 with whopping 95HP.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019-audi-a1-debut/
If in fact that it's not available in NA, than the germans don't make small shit cars. This discussion is relative to the geographical location no?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1803 posts
722 upvotes
Ontario
koffey wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 2:04 pm
Well duh. You think that Audi/MB/BMW makes small shit cars that good on fuel? People are more concerned about their image than what's in their pocket books. And NONE of them care about the environment.
Saw an Audi e-tron on the road yesterday - first I have noticed but looked pretty stealth for an EV
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9465 posts
3592 upvotes
Toronto
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 3:37 pm
Saw an Audi e-tron on the road yesterday - first I have noticed but looked pretty stealth for an EV
Haven't seen one yet, cause no ones is buying em, probably the only hybrid (outside of the volt) that I would buy cause wagon. This just reinforces my point about audi/mb/bwm, their vehicles and the people that buy them.
Apr 6, 2008
571 posts
223 upvotes
More of a legal question, but here goes....

If I was to put a (non-refundable) down payment on a 2019 Leaf to have it ordered...and have a bill of sale saying that I will purchase the vehicle for X$, including a deduction of the 14,000 EVIP government grant on the bill of sale. Then say Mr. Ford decides next month that only 2017 and 2018 Leafs are covered by the grant (not the 2019s), can I not rescind the agreement on grounds that the 14,000 grant is not available and I can't be expected to follow through with the sale and be required to pull an additional 14,000 out of my pocket? I've asked the Ministry of Finance, OMVIC and the Ministry of Transportation and no one can give me a straight answer. In my opinion a big change like a 14,000 discount should be grounds to cancel the order, down payment returned and no hard feelings. Discuss.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1753 posts
1132 upvotes
Canada
In any case if you order now and your car is not delivered within 90 days(and it won't) you can cancel order and take your deposit back.
I'm sure there won't be a problem if rebate disappears and your contract included rebate.
You can also ask to include a clause that deposit is fully refundable (a lot of people did that with 2018 purchase)
Apr 6, 2008
571 posts
223 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 12:19 am
In any case if you order now and your car is not delivered within 90 days(and it won't) you can cancel order and take your deposit back.
I'm sure there won't be a problem if rebate disappears and your contract included rebate.
You can also ask to include a clause that deposit is fully refundable (a lot of people did that with 2018 purchase)

Is the 90 day delivery clause part of every new sale contract? And the specific dealer I'm dealing with, refuses to make the sale conditional on the EVIP rebate. This particular dealer is giving me a much better price than anyone else, every other dealer is quoting MSRP, best they can do is waive admin charges.
Nov 8, 2017
634 posts
123 upvotes
Having said all that, there are a few things that may happen by year's end with Tesla:
1. [...]
2. Bought by an established car manufacturer such as VAG, Toyota, or GM
I'm doubtful. I believe not that long ago Toyota and Daimler were partners and shareholders of Tesla. They sort of, peeked under the hood, knowing the inside working of that co., and exited the door.

Toyota even went as far as [unprecedented?] adopting Tesla's tech in its EV RAV4

If they didn't pull the trigger then, why several years later, after heavy investments of their own?
Dec 19, 2015
286 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary, AB
koffey wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 11:42 am
This is the actual solution. I don't mind paying for gas because I choose to but I would prefer to see something in point by point form where that tax would go, more specifically, fixing roads and other infrastructure.
All that would do is penalize those that could least afford it.

Can’t stump up the cash for an electric car? Pay ever increasing fuel bills while the more affluent get a pass as they CAN afford to go electric and pay less tax.

Perhaps a tax on new ICE vehicles instead? That would also keep some older vehicles on the road longer (reducing the energy requirements of building a new vehicle to replace a scraped on), while pushing people towards EV.

One easy thing N. America could do is just not insist on large vehicles with big engines. That includes the Fiesta Sedan with a 1.6L engine, where 40mpg is considered good! Europe has Fiesta hatchbacks with fuel economies in the high 50s. Presumably Ford don’t see a market for them here, so don’t sell them.

Do you really need a pickup truck with 400hp, or a small crossover with 300? Most of the rest of the world are quite happy with 200hp in their pickups (and can still haul and tow much the same weight), and slightly slower 0-60 in their crossovers.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1803 posts
722 upvotes
Ontario
Andy34 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 1:46 pm
All that would do is penalize those that could least afford it.

Can’t stump up the cash for an electric car? Pay ever increasing fuel bills while the more affluent get a pass as they CAN afford to go electric and pay less tax.

Perhaps a tax on new ICE vehicles instead? That would also keep some older vehicles on the road longer (reducing the energy requirements of building a new vehicle to replace a scraped on), while pushing people towards EV.

One easy thing N. America could do is just not insist on large vehicles with big engines. That includes the Fiesta Sedan with a 1.6L engine, where 40mpg is considered good! Europe has Fiesta hatchbacks with fuel economies in the high 50s. Presumably Ford don’t see a market for them here, so don’t sell them.

Do you really need a pickup truck with 400hp, or a small crossover with 300? Most of the rest of the world are quite happy with 200hp in their pickups (and can still haul and tow much the same weight), and slightly slower 0-60 in their crossovers.
Ford tried the economical Ford Focus 3 cyl turbo with standard transmission here and nobody wanted to buy it despite good reviews on engine.
Sep 30, 2007
558 posts
311 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 2:35 pm
Ford tried the economical Ford Focus 3 cyl turbo with standard transmission here and nobody wanted to buy it despite good reviews on engine.
You joking, right? Nobody wants 3 cylinder, people would rather buy F150 with V8, with start/stop and cylinder deactivation technology, where it can sometimes run on 2 cylinders, so it saves them 0.05L/100km.
And complain in the next topic, how Costco does not open gas station in their neighborhood.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1803 posts
722 upvotes
Ontario
xrvr wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 4:59 pm
You joking, right? Nobody wants 3 cylinder, people would rather buy F150 with V8, with start/stop and cylinder deactivation technology, where it can sometimes run on 2 cylinders, so it saves them 0.05L/100km.
And complain in the next topic, how Costco does not open gas station in their neighborhood.
Thats what I said - nobody wanted (discontinued so past tense) the 3 cyl.

Such vehicles are more popular in Europe where less disposable income is available for cars (more expensive housing and other living costs), where gas prices are double what they are here, and where gas guzzlers have to pay higher annual license fee. Nobody wants to drive an econobox but most people can't afford to drive a V8 in Europe or in any case justify the cost.
Feb 25, 2015
343 posts
112 upvotes
ON
koffey wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 3:47 pm
Haven't seen one yet, cause no ones is buying em, probably the only hybrid (outside of the volt) that I would buy cause wagon. This just reinforces my point about audi/mb/bwm, their vehicles and the people that buy them.
You won't see many due to very limited quantity. I read somewhere only 200 units were allocated to Canada in 2017.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1207 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
aximrocks wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 10:18 pm
Note that incentives will be provided under the previous EVIP program for EVs ordered prior to March 9, 2018, provided that the EV is delivered and that the application is submitted by September 7, 2018.
If we have a Tesla model 3 reservation from last year, would that count as "EVs ordered prior to march 9 2018"? Since that's basically a "pre-order".

I just got the email to configure mine a few days ago so I didn't actually "order" it yet because I'm not sure about the 14k incentive.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7439 posts
487 upvotes
BengaliPrince wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 4:20 am
If we have a Tesla model 3 reservation from last year, would that count as "EVs ordered prior to march 9 2018"? Since that's basically a "pre-order".

I just got the email to configure mine a few days ago so I didn't actually "order" it yet because I'm not sure about the 14k incentive.
I’m going to say you won’t get the rebate with just a deposit. You haven’t ordered the car. The deposit doesn’t talk about the price nor does it cover the rebate details.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!