Tags:
None
[OP]
May 28, 2006
984 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto

$1600 bill from 407 ETR

So my parents receive this bill for $1586.xx in accumulated interests from the 407 ETR. The interest accumulation dates back to 2002. This is the first time we have received the letter.

The last time anyone in my family used the 407 was in 2002, and we have documents proving that we have settled the bill before. We call their customer service to see what's going on, and they maintained that although we have settled the bill once before, there is another account that hasn't been settled since 2002. We were unaware that another account exists because this is the first time we have received any form of notification. The license plate they quoted does match the car we have used 8 years ago.

The customer service rep says that she can't tell us the initial amount owing on that account because it dates too far back and the record only shows interest accumulating. We obviously don't want to pay the bill in full amount because we didn't receive any fair notification.

RFD, what should I do? =/
Heatware/HoFo upon request
Share:
119 replies
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6282 posts
443 upvotes
Help me
lobt wrote:
May 7th, 2010 4:33 pm
So my parents receive this bill for $1586.xx in accumulated interests from the 407 ETR. The interest accumulation dates back to 2002. This is the first time we have received the letter.

The last time anyone in my family used the 407 was in 2002, and we have documents proving that we have settled the bill before. We call their customer service to see what's going on, and they maintained that although we have settled the bill once before, there is another account that hasn't been settled since 2002. We were unaware that another account exists because this is the first time we have received any form of notification. The license plate they quoted does match the car we have used 8 years ago.

The customer service rep says that she can't tell us the initial amount owing on that account because it dates too far back and the record only shows interest accumulating. We obviously don't want to pay the bill in full amount because we didn't receive any fair notification.

Ask for a meeting in person, bring any documents that will help your case.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2412 posts
60 upvotes
Thornhill
Mr.Sea wrote:
May 7th, 2010 4:36 pm
Ask for a meeting in person, bring any documents that will help your case.
Sounds good enough.
May 27, 2007
15659 posts
3073 upvotes
Toronto
lobt wrote:

what is their annual interest rate? and how much was your initial bill?
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4937 posts
62 upvotes
York Region
sigh @ the 407..

that sucks man.. just try to fight it out.
York Region is best region!
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2004
10349 posts
6 upvotes
This could be a clusterfcuk.. 407 apparently is VERY difficult to deal with.. and their tactics (not sending a bill for years, and allowing ridiculous amounts of interest charged at credit card rates to accumulate) are downright sleazy.

Too late now, but I say.. avoid the 407 at all costs.
So long. I'm outta here.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2007
2202 posts
253 upvotes
Thornhill
Too bad for the 407...they only have 2 years to collect anything due to the statute of limitations...if they send it to a collection agency...you don't owe the 407 anything since it's been 8 years.
[OP]
May 28, 2006
984 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
They don't know the initial bill because it dates too far back. Hard to calculate annual interest because I don't have the initial amount. I could've asked, but didn't.

The documents I'm supposed to have, I've never received, so I can't really show anything other than the bills we already paid off. But according to them, they're two entirely different issues, so the bills I have in possession doesn't help me.

Arranging a meeting in person sounds sensible.
[OP]
May 28, 2006
984 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
darksith31 wrote:
May 7th, 2010 5:01 pm
Too bad for the 407...they only have 2 years to collect anything due to the statute of limitations...if they send it to a collection agency...you don't owe the 407 anything since it's been 8 years.
I'll check into this, thanks.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1113 posts
102 upvotes
darksith31 wrote:
May 7th, 2010 5:01 pm
This is wrong. I remember an article in the Toronto Star a few months back that said something along the lines that you automatically waive that 2 year statute of limitations simply by using the hwy. It's apparently in the fine print on the bill you receive.
Mar 23, 2006
486 posts
4 upvotes
did your family use a transponder? if they did... was it lent to anyone?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5114 posts
666 upvotes
lobt wrote:

There was an article in The Star about the 407 using these tactics where you would get something like a $20 bill owing and they would intentionally (though they claim otherwise) not send you a bill for years as the initial amount was too small to collect, with hundreds, even thousands in acrued interest.

In your case I think you should be fine. I know the 407 has you waive many rights when you use their highway (apparently this is all posted on signs as you drive on), but I think they need to be able to provide you with dates of transaction and initial amounts.

Seems beyond ridiculous that they are trying to bill you $1600 and are telling you they can't even give you the date or amount of inital transaction.
Sep 30, 2001
26422 posts
5438 upvotes
Toronto
also contact their ombudsman:
http://www.407etr.com/Products/custserv_ombud.htm

and contact the Star's Fixer:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/fixer/a ... r-15-years
http://www.wheels.ca/article/782889

and contact the Star's Roseman:
http://www.ellenroseman.com/

and contact your MPP

and read blog entries:
http://www.kbcafe.com/toronto/?guid=20070615084040

and may whatever god you believe in have mercy on your soul
Nov 14, 2009
222 posts
34 upvotes
We just got a bill from them as well.... no where near this amount, but it was old charges from 3 years ago and they'd never sent a bill to us before, we called and asked about it and they told us it was just interest changes racking up over the years.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1258 posts
26 upvotes
Some media outlet did a piece on this. I can't be of much more help, but the 407 has been known for this type of practice.

This isn't legal advice as I don't do much civil work, but from what I understand the only legal route they have against you is to seek judgment in Superior or small claims court. Given you were unaware of the debt and likely never agreed to those interest rates (they will argue implied contract), the 407 would probably have an uphill battle. I doubt they'd ever sue though, probably just scare tactics.

The comment about the statute of limitations may have some substance to it as well. There are laws on debt collections.