$1600 for a cat?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 8:24 am
Tags:
Jul 7, 2017
989 posts
329 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
From what I understand, the original ragdolls were probably healthy as they were mixed breeds chosen for their personality (the most important part, at least to me). The subsequent breeding for appearance is what ruins breeds.

If you want a friendly cat, a Ragamuffin may be the one to get. It's a derivative of a ragdoll. Appearance is a lot looser criteria for this breed.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3604 posts
536 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 11:29 am
From what I understand, the original ragdolls were probably healthy as they were mixed breeds chosen for their personality (the most important part, at least to me). The subsequent breeding for appearance is what ruins breeds.

If you want a friendly cat, a Ragamuffin may be the one to get. It's a derivative of a ragdoll. Appearance is a lot looser criteria for this breed.
Only issue I have with a Ragamuffin is most breeders try and pass them off as a purebred Ragdoll which they are not so you shouldn't be paying the premium for them. Besides that they have a great personality and looks like a Ragdoll, they make great cats.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3604 posts
536 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 10:18 am
This brings me to my other Question how would I know? I suspect a lot of people on Kijiji are trying to pass off their long haired tabby kittens as Himalayan and ragdoll mix etc how would I know do I request papers or only buy from those that say tica registered?
First off, none of the top breeders sell on kijiji and they all have websites to buy directly from them and most top breeders will have a wait list as they don't overbreed. If you can go to a local cat show that's a good way to meet breeders or get recommendations and references.
Jul 7, 2017
989 posts
329 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
swales wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 1:03 pm
Only issue I have with a Ragamuffin is most breeders try and pass them off as a purebred Ragdoll which they are not so you shouldn't be paying the premium for them. Besides that they have a great personality and looks like a Ragdoll, they make great cats.
I've never actually seen any advertised. Just a lot trying to pass off mixed breeds as Ragdolls, part or whole, and a lot of these are asking almost as much for a mixed breed as what we got our Ragdolls for (even the shelters are asking nearly $200 for a DSH around my parts). I do admit we do have a purebred Ragdoll which is part of a new standard, derived from the Birman, as well as a traditional bi-colour.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13754 posts
1291 upvotes
I have a ragdoll. She's the best.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Feb 11, 2009
143 posts
22 upvotes
gvr
We adopted a ragdoll mix from a local rescue. He is adorable and except one urinary track issue few years back, he is healthy and a happy kid. He is now 10 and still acts like a kitten.
But he is the baby of our house vs our 21 year old tabby. :P
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2404 posts
591 upvotes
Kingston
I’ve had two flamepoint Siamese from a shelter. Awesome breed but they are a bit weird. My current guy likes going around the house adjusting things that hang on the wall and playing tunes by plucking the AC vents.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1144 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
Did you end up getting a cat from the shelter? There are always load of them at shelters.
Nov 5, 2018
6 posts
Please don't buy cats unless you really really want some breed. Local shelters will thank you.