• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2018 7:39 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2177 posts
816 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
From what I understand, the original ragdolls were probably healthy as they were mixed breeds chosen for their personality (the most important part, at least to me). The subsequent breeding for appearance is what ruins breeds.

If you want a friendly cat, a Ragamuffin may be the one to get. It's a derivative of a ragdoll. Appearance is a lot looser criteria for this breed.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3934 posts
691 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 11:29 am
From what I understand, the original ragdolls were probably healthy as they were mixed breeds chosen for their personality (the most important part, at least to me). The subsequent breeding for appearance is what ruins breeds.

If you want a friendly cat, a Ragamuffin may be the one to get. It's a derivative of a ragdoll. Appearance is a lot looser criteria for this breed.
Only issue I have with a Ragamuffin is most breeders try and pass them off as a purebred Ragdoll which they are not so you shouldn't be paying the premium for them. Besides that they have a great personality and looks like a Ragdoll, they make great cats.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3934 posts
691 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 10:18 am
This brings me to my other Question how would I know? I suspect a lot of people on Kijiji are trying to pass off their long haired tabby kittens as Himalayan and ragdoll mix etc how would I know do I request papers or only buy from those that say tica registered?
First off, none of the top breeders sell on kijiji and they all have websites to buy directly from them and most top breeders will have a wait list as they don't overbreed. If you can go to a local cat show that's a good way to meet breeders or get recommendations and references.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2177 posts
816 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
swales wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 1:03 pm
Only issue I have with a Ragamuffin is most breeders try and pass them off as a purebred Ragdoll which they are not so you shouldn't be paying the premium for them. Besides that they have a great personality and looks like a Ragdoll, they make great cats.
I've never actually seen any advertised. Just a lot trying to pass off mixed breeds as Ragdolls, part or whole, and a lot of these are asking almost as much for a mixed breed as what we got our Ragdolls for (even the shelters are asking nearly $200 for a DSH around my parts). I do admit we do have a purebred Ragdoll which is part of a new standard, derived from the Birman, as well as a traditional bi-colour.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
I have a ragdoll. She's the best.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Feb 11, 2009
204 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
We adopted a ragdoll mix from a local rescue. He is adorable and except one urinary track issue few years back, he is healthy and a happy kid. He is now 10 and still acts like a kitten.
But he is the baby of our house vs our 21 year old tabby. :P
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2542 posts
743 upvotes
Kingston
I’ve had two flamepoint Siamese from a shelter. Awesome breed but they are a bit weird. My current guy likes going around the house adjusting things that hang on the wall and playing tunes by plucking the AC vents.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
Did you end up getting a cat from the shelter? There are always load of them at shelters.
Nov 5, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Please don't buy cats unless you really really want some breed. Local shelters will thank you.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2115 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
i don't "buy" cats, those so-called pure bred show cats, with that kind of money, you could rescue couple from humane society, where I got my cats. dogs, large, aggressive breed dogs might be a different story, a trust-worthy breeder may be desired.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8638 posts
6281 upvotes
Markham
I have two ragdolls from two different breeders. Both cats are from breeders who certify that they are HCM, PKD, FeLV, & FIV negative.

All those health concerns that you hear about Ragdolls stem from those 4 genetic issues. Get a cat from a breeder that is HCM, PKD, FeLV, & FIV negative and you will be fine.

If you wish to "rescue" a cat instead of getting a kitten, catteries often rehome their queens or kings, you can just simply adopt one of those. It would cost anywhere between $200 to $300 for this instead of the $700 to $2000 for a Ragdoll kitten.

As a side note, Ragdolls really are the best. They greet you by the door, they are always around you, they love being handled, sit in your lap, they shed relatively low (no undercoat, but they do shed some), they have beautiful rabbit like fur, and they have gorgeous deep blue eyes. They also don't bite, scratch, or otherwise harm you. They are more grounded cats and tend not to climb or destroy things.

No cat can truly be a dog, but a Ragdoll is pretty darn close.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2177 posts
816 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Anikiri wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 2:30 pm
As a side note, Ragdolls really are the best.
Mostly true but here are our observations from having two for around a year.
They greet you by the door,
One of ours almost always does, the other only sometimes. The one that regularly comes will come a long way to greet you at the door.
they are always around you,
Ours like to be close (most of the time), but not too close (stay just out of reach).
they love being handled,
One is quite content being cradled upside down like a baby, the other will try too right himself after a minute (or less). But yes, easy to handle and don't react with teeth and claws.
sit in your lap,
We're disappointed because ours don't/won't. One occasionally will half lie on your lap but not for very long.
they shed relatively low (no undercoat, but they do shed some), they have beautiful rabbit like fur, and they have gorgeous deep blue eyes.
Ours shed a lot, but they don't have an undercoat so not everything is matted with fine cat fur. The guard hairs are relatively easy to clean up with a beater vacuum. Not sure about rabbit fur (haven't touched a rabbit in years, except the frequent kills that one of the cats we house sat kept bringing home), but they are nice and soft.

Very nice blue eyes and fortunately they're not too closely related to Persian cats where congenital deafness is a genetic flaw that often comes with the blue eyes.
They also don't bite, scratch, or otherwise harm you. They are more grounded cats and tend not to climb or destroy things.

Very docile they are. They might grab a hand but rarely if ever use teeth and claws. Very gentle. And they know to scratch only their tree and posts, and not anything else with minimal training.
No cat can truly be a dog, but a Ragdoll is pretty darn close.
They're still cats but overall are a bt more dog-like. One of ours will regularly roll over to have his belly rubbed. The father of the other would run up to his people and do a flying roll over to have his belly rubbed but his son won't. He will roll over in one's presence though.

Get a big bed if you get more than one. They take up a lot of room!