• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2014 4:58 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 2, 2007
162 posts
30 upvotes

16'x7' Garage door installation in GTA

looking to replace my Garage door since it is over 20 years old. Found many ads out there offering around $1000-$1300 for a 16'x7' Insulated Garage Doors fully installed. Are there different kinds of Polyurethane Foam and steel door or R12 is good price for $1000?

*Wayne Dalton Model 8300 $1000 Installed, Polyurethane Foam injected R12
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5991 upvotes
Wayne Dalton is lower end (though better than Clopay) - for better quality doors look at Richards Wilcox and Garaga.
When I was shopping and got estimates some of the most important factors I saw were the thickness of the door, the quality of the hardware and the strength of the spot where the garage door opener bracket connects to the door - several of the sales people advised that on lower quality doors there have been instances where the bracket has literally been pulled off the door when the door has frozen to the ground during a freeze/thaw/freeze cycle in winter.
Aug 16, 2007
944 posts
136 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Interested as well. Looking for recommendations for company to deal with.
Feb 23, 2013
499 posts
51 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I'm shopping for this as well.

One place to get a quote is through Costco for Amarr brand garage doors, I got quoted a little under $1,400 for R19 16' x 7' white doors without windows (installed).

I also got a few quotes for Garaga brand doors else where, and it seems it's an extra $350? Is Garaga worth this premium? I like the fact that each individual door section has a triple contact InterLok weatherstripping, which seems like it would keep the wind out. But the overall R value is R16, which is actually less than Amarr.
Aug 16, 2007
944 posts
136 upvotes
Richmond Hill
yeah i actually picked up the brochure from Costco yesterday. do you know which company Costco uses?
Aug 25, 2007
460 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
You can easily double even triple the price of a base stock garage door depending on the options you choose such as wood, metal, stamped, two layer, three layer, insulation R-value, windows and color to name some. Then add in a garage door opener to the mix and you add a few more dollars.

Some of the less expensive doors come in three or four standard colors, mid models might come in 6 or 7 colors, and special order any color basically what you wish. Some manufacturers may have black as an example as a standard color while others might have it on their upper lines only, white obviously everyone has and will be the least expensive option same as few others like brown, green and a gray.

A good estimator is on the home depot "Clopay Garage Door Configurator" about three quarters down the page.
http://www.homedepot.ca/know-how/buying ... rage-doors

You can source your door anywhere depending on feedback from here and elsewhere and what you require, I just found the estimator to be interesting as it only takes a minute and you learn a few things along the way.
Sep 21, 2011
52 posts
11 upvotes
GTA
I had two Richard Wilcox garage doors supplied and installed by Newmarket Garage Doors. It is a smaller independent shop. There are full size doors on display at the shop. Several colours, styles etc.
The install included all new rails and hardware. They did a fantastic job and were very responsive when I had a minor issue, came right back the next day no questions asked. They will also install the GDO's (I had purchased these with a RFD deal) and will provide capping for the jamb. Highly recommend.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
Got a new garage door a couple summers ago and was very pleased with this company:

http://markhamgaragedoors.com/

Homestars reviews with a 10 rating: http://homestars.com/companies/2773615- ... -doors-ltd

I live in Scarb near Warden/Huntingwood and these guys came down from Markham. Not sure their territory.

Decent showroom. Guys were nice and took us to back room to show us differences between their doors and the ones from Home Depot as I was curious and asked why I should go with them and not Home Depot if I wanted a door like Clopay. He pointed out the hardware they used was better. I went home to compare to a neighbour's door of the same make and sure enough it was cheaper quality rails, etc.

We ended up with a Haas door. One of the reasons was due to the way they installed the windows compared to other companies which was not as good at insulating.

Also, when the guy came down to give us a quote he unscrewed his sample door panel from his showroom wall and took it to our house at we wanted to be sure the color matched our siding.

Anyways, I highly recommend these guys. I did alot of research when it came to my door and glad I went with who I chose.
Aug 2, 2007
162 posts
30 upvotes
just came back from HD and was quoted around $1800 installed with Clopay R18 and $1700 for the R12....does anyone know the difference between the Clopay and *Wayne Dalton Model 8300? there is $600 difference in price.
Aug 2, 2007
162 posts
30 upvotes
Aggy wrote: Got a new garage door a couple summers ago and was very pleased with this company:

http://markhamgaragedoors.com/

Homestars reviews with a 10 rating: http://homestars.com/companies/2773615- ... -doors-ltd

I live in Scarb near Warden/Huntingwood and these guys came down from Markham. Not sure their territory.

Decent showroom. Guys were nice and took us to back room to show us differences between their doors and the ones from Home Depot as I was curious and asked why I should go with them and not Home Depot if I wanted a door like Clopay. He pointed out the hardware they used was better. I went home to compare to a neighbour's door of the same make and sure enough it was cheaper quality rails, etc.

We ended up with a Haas door. One of the reasons was due to the way they installed the windows compared to other companies which was not as good at insulating.

Also, when the guy came down to give us a quote he unscrewed his sample door panel from his showroom wall and took it to our house at we wanted to be sure the color matched our siding.

Anyways, I highly recommend these guys. I did alot of research when it came to my door and glad I went with who I chose.

How much did it cost you with the Haas door? Looks like they also carry Clopay product.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)