• Mar 1st, 2018 11:56 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7276 posts
787 upvotes
GTA
Jujubuju wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 8:49 am
Hello everyone. I live in Calgary and I’m working at the bank. I’m 3 month now and honestly so exhausted everyday when I go to work nd stressed out specially dealing with angry customers since I’m teller. I’m seeing my family dr next week but I’m not sure what to tell her to get dr note to use it for STD. My employer benefit is through Sunlife.
pls let me know if you can help
I don't know about Sunlife but I was with GWL. I was on bedrest for 2 months at home and then 5 weeks of hospital bedrest and there was a particular form with a lot of details the insurer required to have filled out prior to approving my STD. In my case GWL required the lengthy form to be completed by an OB and would not accept a family doctor filling it out. I don't know about Sunlife.

It took some time to get approved and that was ok with me as in my case there was no possibility I could have worked. I still had a preemie, but would likely had her much earlier had it not been for the more than 3 months of complete bedrest.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Dec 25, 2012
386 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
This took effect on Dec 3, 2017 as per the website. So if your kid was born on or after the 18 mos will apply. The argument about guaranteed jobs etc ...I believe "a" job has to be guaranteed, not sure if it specifies level or what the job is
JS
Dec 22, 2014
616 posts
164 upvotes
Regina, SK
Just curious. What are the rules with splitting parental leave. Is it still 12 months total benefits over 18 months if the other parent takes 6 months?
Jan 9, 2018
4 posts
When I calls them they said 1st 15 months is on mother that can use it under maternity leave (55% of her wage). Then if parents want to use the entire 18 month, after 15 month it goes under parental leave which is going to be 33% of their wage
Feb 1, 2006
629 posts
85 upvotes
Every family is different so it depends if it fits your day to day schedules and obviously on a financial basis.

For us, I was in sales travelling the world while my hisband works in film. Both of us travelling was not feasible, so I decided to take the time off. If I had the 18 months it wouldve been great, but reality sank in that I couldnt go back regardless (hubby gone for weeks at time). So for someone in same situation 18 months rocks while other helps to financially support.

But if you both have a traditional 9-5 job and bonus if you love the job, it’s easier to transition back to work (from what I have seen with friends).

I must say this, 12 mths - 18 mths was the best time frame with my kid at home... more fun and seeing many milestones first hand :)
~snow white~
Dec 25, 2012
386 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Jujubuju wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 7:20 pm
When I calls them they said 1st 15 months is on mother that can use it under maternity leave (55% of her wage). Then if parents want to use the entire 18 month, after 15 month it goes under parental leave which is going to be 33% of their wage
Weeks. 1st 15 weeks is maternity - mother only

The rest can be split however you want. To a maximum of 61 weeks (inclusive of the 15 maternity)

If you choose 18 it's 33% yes.
JS
Jan 9, 2018
4 posts
I’m not sure if I go for sick leave first and then short term disability or vise versa? I’m not sure if it makes any difference which one be first. Any advise?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10039 posts
1424 upvotes
Toronto
Government Unionized employees (city at least) get topped up for the entire 18 months since their contract states "top up as long as collecting EI". How great is that. So you get lower EI but your top up is greater since it's a fixed % of your salary and for longer too.
Feb 14, 2004
970 posts
98 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
hello fellow members. I have a quick question. My wife is about to give birth in Aug, she plans to take the 12 months option, but WHAT IF she changes her mind in the 12th month, and decided to switch to the 18 month option? does that means she gets nothing from the 13th month all the way to the 18th month?

2nd question. What if I wanted to take the parental leave from 13th to the 18th month after my wife has return the work after the 12 month period? Is that mean I don't get anything from the government?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8297 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
pcboy wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 10:47 pm
hello fellow members. I have a quick question. My wife is about to give birth in Aug, she plans to take the 12 months option, but WHAT IF she changes her mind in the 12th month, and decided to switch to the 18 month option? does that means she gets nothing from the 13th month all the way to the 18th month?

2nd question. What if I wanted to take the parental leave from 13th to the 18th month after my wife has return the work after the 12 month period? Is that mean I don't get anything from the government?
Once your wife has received any parental benefits, whichever option she chose will be set in stone. She can't change from 12 to 18 months. Whichever option the first person to apply chooses will make that same option the default option for the second person.