18 y/o Renting a Car in BC

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2018 2:10 pm
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
3 posts
Toronto

18 y/o Renting a Car in BC

In January, I'm going on a 14 day trip to BC, starting and ending around YVR (Vancouver International Airport). I'm 18 years old and I'm having trouble finding any car rental places who will even rent to me (underage fee or not). I've only been able to find U-Haul (trip in a van isn't ideal) and rentacarvancouver.com (terrible reviews).
Can anyone recommend a place that would rent to an 18 year old in Vancouver/Richmond, BC? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
7 replies
Jul 7, 2017
976 posts
320 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Is it a work trip?
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
3 posts
Toronto
Vacation, but I could count it as a work trip. Would it being a work trip give me more options?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7388 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
I don’t think “counting it as a work trip” will do much unless your company has some agreement with rental agencies. 18 is a tough age and usually u haul will only help you with vans.

These guys allow 19+ might want to call them and see if they can refer you.

I’d be searching around for the small rental agencies.

Pacificcarrentals.com
Last edited by GangStarr on Nov 8th, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Jul 7, 2017
976 posts
320 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
hmnd01 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:56 am
Vacation, but I could count it as a work trip. Would it being a work trip give me more options?
Probably ain't gonna work as far as the majors go. Some agencies will rent to younger renters if they're on company business.

Example, Thrifty will rent to under-21s on official business with U.S. and Canadian governments.

https://www.thriftycanada.ca/faqs/how-o ... y/1692/cms

You could try Rent-a-Wreck which is also called PractiCar these days. I didn't notice any age restrictions.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
3 posts
Toronto
GangStarr wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 5:33 pm
I don’t think “counting it as a work trip” will do much unless your company has some agreement with rental agencies. 18 is a tough age and usually u haul will only help you with vans.

These guys allow 19+ might want to call them and see if they can refer you.

I’d be searching around for the small rental agencies.

Pacificarrentals.com.
Thank you for that suggestion! I called them and they said it's fine that I'm 18! Underage fee is $20/day and the two weeks including unerage fee, tax, etc. for a car with snow tires is $1588. $766 for their cheapest "economy" car.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7388 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
hmnd01 wrote: Thank you for that suggestion! I called them and they said it's fine that I'm 18! Underage fee is $20/day and the two weeks including unerage fee, tax, etc. for a car with snow tires is $1588. $766 for their cheapest "economy" car.
That’s great! I remember being your age and the frustrations with getting a car and all the fees even when over 21.

Have fun in beautiful BC and take care of the car. Don’t want to spoil the policy for future young people.

They really shouldn’t be able to charge extra after 21. Just rent a cheap hyundai to young people and be done with it.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Nov 20, 2007
118 posts
2 upvotes
Rent A Car Vancouver- Official Rent A Car In Vancouver Downtown
164 Google reviews
Car rental agency in Vancouver, British Columbia
Address: Rent A Car Vancouver 1361 Robson Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 1C6
Hours:
Open 24 hours

Province: British Columbia
Phone: (604) 689-1231