• Feb 16th, 2019 12:55 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6151 posts
1605 upvotes
Markham
hmnd01 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 6:50 pm
Just wanted to provide an update on what I ended up doing.
For the time I was in Vancouver (half the trip), I used car2go, which totalled $693.64 ($283.16 for first 3 days, $296.90 for next 3 days (went over by 21 minutes by mistake which added to cost), and $113.58 for one more day.)
I then got Pacific Car Rental for a total of $970.18 plus $94.03 for third-party accidental (rental started on same day that car2go ended and ended one day after the end of the trip so I could use the key drop at night. Overall, definitely not the most economical rental situation, but it worked.
hmnd01 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 6:54 pm
As for Evo, @gr8dlr, I have signed up for it because I found a promo code that covers the signup-fee, but it ends up being more expensive per-day than car2go and the 200km total trip limit (regardless of how many days you go) is beat by car2go's daily 200km limit. If you go with a 3 day package, car2go also ends up being cheaper per day. I think Evo has car2go beat in terms of customer support though, I've called them a few times and I was able to completely understand them every time. car2go's support appears to be based in Quebec with primarily French speakers whose English is often completely unintelligible.
Thanks for the update. Because you're young, your options are very limited as many car rental companies will not rent to you. Did you keep the car for whole days while in Vancouver vs reserve/return, reserve/return, reserve/return etc?

For some people your rental sounds like a lot and it is but you didn't have to pay for gas or parking as it's included in your rate which is a plus vs regular car rental.

Car2go and Evo is the way to go for occasional use in the city, it's more expensive if you intend to keep the car for the day.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6151 posts
1605 upvotes
Markham
hmnd01 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 6:50 pm
Just wanted to provide an update on what I ended up doing.
For the time I was in Vancouver (half the trip), I used car2go, which totalled $693.64 ($283.16 for first 3 days, $296.90 for next 3 days (went over by 21 minutes by mistake which added to cost), and $113.58 for one more day.)
I then got Pacific Car Rental for a total of $970.18 plus $94.03 for third-party accidental (rental started on same day that car2go ended and ended one day after the end of the trip so I could use the key drop at night. Overall, definitely not the most economical rental situation, but it worked.
hmnd01 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 6:54 pm
As for Evo, @gr8dlr, I have signed up for it because I found a promo code that covers the signup-fee, but it ends up being more expensive per-day than car2go and the 200km total trip limit (regardless of how many days you go) is beat by car2go's daily 200km limit. If you go with a 3 day package, car2go also ends up being cheaper per day. I think Evo has car2go beat in terms of customer support though, I've called them a few times and I was able to completely understand them every time. car2go's support appears to be based in Quebec with primarily French speakers whose English is often completely unintelligible.
Thanks for the update. Because you're young, your options are very limited as many car rental companies will not rent to you. Did you keep the car for whole days while in Vancouver vs reserve/return, reserve/return, reserve/return etc?

For some people your rental sounds like a lot and it is but you didn't have to pay for gas or parking as it's included in your rate which is a plus vs regular car rental.

Car2go and Evo is the way to go for occasional use in the city, it's more expensive if you intend to keep the car for the day.

[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
11 posts
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 6:56 pm
OP you mentioned that you "could count it as a work trip" but it sounds like you didn't. I had a friend who went on a business trip to the US. His car was booked by his employer. When he went to pick up the car he was refused because he was under 25. My friend got his employer on the phone and passed the phone to the rental agent. It was a short call. My friend left with the car.
I tried it with a few car rental agencies but I was still refused. Unfortunately, my situation is a bit different than your friend's, as I am my own employer.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
11 posts
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 7:17 pm

I kept it for whole days since I was constantly driving places throughout the day (on most days I went in and out of the home area) and there was a car2go parking spot right next to my hotel. Was easier to just break it up into 2 3-day trips and a 1-day trip at the end. Gas is definitely a plus. I ended up getting reimbursed for around $100 worth of gas (91 octane, mind you).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6151 posts
1605 upvotes
Markham
hmnd01 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 7:31 pm
I kept it for whole days since I was constantly driving places throughout the day (on most days I went in and out of the home area) and there was a car2go parking spot right next to my hotel. Was easier to just break it up into 2 3-day trips and a 1-day trip at the end. Gas is definitely a plus. I ended up getting reimbursed for around $100 worth of gas (91 octane, mind you).
More convenient to keep the car for the day definitely.
When I was in Vancouver I only kept the car for the entire day once...when I went to Steveston.

Now that you've used their service, don't you wish we had full Car2go car share here in Toronto?

[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
11 posts
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 9:35 pm
More convenient to keep the car for the day definitely.
When I was in Vancouver I only kept the car for the entire day once...when I went to Steveston.

Now that you've used their service, don't you wish we had full Car2go car share here in Toronto?
For sure! Sucks that the government essentially banned them from here. The closest thing we've got to car2go is Maven by GM. I have an account with them, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Unfortunately, it looks like you have to return them to the same lot you pick up from, which sort of defeats the purpose of this kind of service.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6118 posts
3338 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
hmnd01 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:24 pm
Thank you for that suggestion! I called them and they said it's fine that I'm 18! Underage fee is $20/day and the two weeks including unerage fee, tax, etc. for a car with snow tires is $1588. $766 for their cheapest "economy" car.
You won't need snow tires in Vancouver. Oops, just saw you already had your trip!
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
11 posts
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 4:41 pm
You won't need snow tires in Vancouver. Oops, just saw you already had your trip!
I know! I just needed snow tires to go up to Whistler and on some mountains on the island. Thanks anyway!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19261 posts
5520 upvotes
Too late now, but I think http://www.practicar.ca/ in Richmond had decent underage rates.
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 7:17 pm
This is only really true if you're over 25.
If you're under 25 (especially 18) the underage fees will come pretty close even before accounting for gas.
"Regular" rates around rental agencies are $40ish for a compact. Tack on a $25 underage fee and we're at $65. 1 day in a smart car is $69. 3 days is $60/day.
hmnd01 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 7:27 pm
I tried it with a few car rental agencies but I was still refused. Unfortunately, my situation is a bit different than your friend's, as I am my own employer.
You should have asked the agent to call your boss and talk to him on your phone while you're in front of him.
It probably wouldn't work, but it'd be funny.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6151 posts
1605 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 6:48 pm
This is only really true if you're over 25.
If you're under 25 (especially 18) the underage fees will come pretty close even before accounting for gas.
"Regular" rates around rental agencies are $40ish for a compact. Tack on a $25 underage fee and we're at $65. 1 day in a smart car is $69. 3 days is $60/day.
One of the biggest PROs of the car share service is it includes insurance, gas and parking. With regular rentals you have a plus, plus, and plus.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19261 posts
5520 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:56 am
One of the biggest PROs of the car share service is it includes insurance, gas and parking. With regular rentals you have a plus, plus, and plus.
Oh that too, especially for someone that's under age.

Insurance I wouldn't count because most people have a CC that covers it (and probably drive which covers TPL) but this is not very likely for an 18 year old.
Gas is obvious.
Parking you still have to pay for (unless you're near enough a drop point to be able to use it, but that's not guaranteed), every time I rent, I'm never close to a drop point.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6151 posts
1605 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:07 am
Oh that too, especially for someone that's under age.

Insurance I wouldn't count because most people have a CC that covers it (and probably drive which covers TPL) but this is not very likely for an 18 year old.
Gas is obvious.
Parking you still have to pay for (unless you're near enough a drop point to be able to use it, but that's not guaranteed), every time I rent, I'm never close to a drop point.
I found drop points everywhere in Vancouver. You don't have to find designated spots in Vancouver, IIRC you can park on side streets wherever permit parking was allowed.

Re insurance, even though you might decline and use a CC there's always an inkling of you never know and you have to coordinate between the CC and the rental company.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19261 posts
5520 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:34 am
I found drop points everywhere in Vancouver. You don't have to find designated spots in Vancouver, IIRC you can park on side streets wherever permit parking was allowed.
Depends on where you go I guess.
If you're near a residential neighborhood, for sure.
But DT core?

Or even worse if you travel outside the home zone (which is basically only Vancouver for car2go)

Re insurance, even though you might decline and use a CC there's always an inkling of you never know and you have to coordinate between the CC and the rental company.
This is pretty much why I sign up for their insurance too.
It's not like it's expensive (IDK how much car2go is offhand, but modo is like $35/year).
It's $35/day at a "real" rental car place.

Speaking of Modo, Modo might be a really good contender too, if you're willing to give a $500 deposit you get back later.
$50/day but $0.30/km with a $72/day cap.

Depends on what you need the car for. If it's a ton of driving, probably not gonna win.
But if it's basically a mobile storage place (eg you drive to an event, say for 8 hours, drive to hotel) it might work out to be cheaper.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
11 posts
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:07 am
but this is not very likely for an 18 year old.
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:41 am
Speaking of Modo, Modo might be a really good contender too, if you're willing to give a $500 deposit you get back later.
$50/day but $0.30/km with a $72/day cap.
I've explored modo but I don't love the per km rate. Haven't done the math, but I know that U-Haul rents to 18 yr olds as well at a rate of $19/day + $0.45/km, which may be cheaper.
Modo also has a min. age of 19 unless you join a parent's account. I'd rather keep my parents out of it and I recall that the deposit was higher in that case.

I've also now joined Evo and will try them, though car2go is still a better deal in terms of pricing (if you take a 3-day package); even more so if you take a smart car.