Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple

1997-1998 Audi A4

I'm looking at trading in my '95 Pathfinder for either a '97 or '98 A4. I'm torn between the 1.8T or the 2.8 V6. Right now I'm leaning towards a '98 2.8 Any suggestions for what kinds of things to look for in these models? (I'm looking at 5sp for either one)

Also, what kind of fuel do the cars take? Does the 1.8T need premium gas? Does the 2.8 need premium also, or can regular grade be used? One of the reasons I'm switching cars is to save a bit on gas, but if I have to use premium all the time, it defeats the purpose (although it will still be 100x more fun to drive).
18 replies
Jul 6, 2003
216 posts
I have a Passat which uses the same 1.8 turbo engine as the Audi and it requires premium fuel > :( Driving wise I am sure you will like it, but check reliability ratings for those years.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2714 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Ya the 1.8T requires prem fuel, I think the 2.8 does too. I would go with the 2.8, a 1.8T in those years, the TUrbo might go on you very soon. Just one less thing to worry about.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1306 posts
216 upvotes
I had a friend who had a 98 1.8t A4 and he had TONS of problems with it, specifically suspension, linking, rod kinda troubles...

But maybe the guy who owned it before him drove it kinda rough... still though, it was thousands in repairs...
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
Thanks for all the replies guys! The main reason I was leaning towards the 2.8 is to stay away from the turbo... as much fun as it would be, costs would be very high to fix.

It may appear that my best bet will be to run my pathfinder to the ground and then maybe get something new next year....
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
I own a 97 1.8T....I'd highly recommend you stay away from 97's.

The thing seems to require expensive repairs every year. Suspension, ignition, coolant leaks, oil leaks. I just had to put another $1000 on top of the $1200 I put into it last year, and it only has 110000 km on it.

Surprisingly, the turbo is not a problem, that part is reliable.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
Ouch... that has to hurt! Thanks for the advice! I'm looking moreso at the '98. Actually I just had a quick look at the prices for a '99, and it's not too far off, so I may consider that year too.
warpdrive wrote:I own a 97 1.8T....I'd highly recommend you stay away from 97's.

The thing seems to require expensive repairs every year. Suspension, ignition, coolant leaks, oil leaks. I just had to put another $1000 on top of the $1200 I put into it last year, and it only has 110000 km on it.

Surprisingly, the turbo is not a problem, that part is reliable.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a 97 2.8, the car uses 91 octane gas, try to get the one with the sports package, very good car to drive and is lowered. I haven't had any problems with the car(70k km) except the engine oil thing on the dash had to get changed, it get stuck at 0. The [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=64]bose[/rfdlink] sound system that comes in this car is GREAT!
Nov 22, 2004
652 posts
No car requires premium gas... it
Dec 4, 2003
601 posts
2 upvotes
[quote="Mcp"]No car requires premium gas... it
Jan 17, 2005
621 posts
2 upvotes
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1735 posts
243 upvotes
BC
my gf had a 00 passat 1.8T.. she loves it to death.. but at the same time, hates it so much. engine is great, but all other things isnt so well put in place.
Jun 15, 2004
385 posts
2 upvotes
we have a 04 audi a4 1.8t and zero problems with it... (its about 2 years old now) My friend owns a 97 1.8t and he has had numerous problems with it. I tihnk the current generation of a4's 03 and up are built a lot better...so if u can try for those years.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1590 posts
91 upvotes
Maple
Thanks for all the replies.

The problem is I'm not cheap to pay for premium gas, but if I can avoid it by getting a different car, then that may be a sacrifice I would have to consider.
jda wrote:sigh not another one.
If you are too cheap to pay for premium gas, DON'T buy a car that uses it.
Some cars that recommand the premium gas may get away with regular gas without knocking, but the fuel/mileage will suffer.
The bottom line is use premium gas if the manufacture suggests so.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
Mar 4, 2005
64 posts
Does anyone have any experience with the 99 A4 2.8? My gf just got her licence and is looking to get this car. She found one for about $13000 with roughly 134000 km. I'm just not sure if it will require a lot of repairs down the road and whether it's worth it or not. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1069 posts
368 upvotes
GTA
if your going to drive a car with a turbo you need premium gas for sure or you'll get knocking and other problems, a turbo timer would help a great deal too,. most people buy a turbo car will drive it hard or for a long time then shut the engine off after they park it, you have to let the oil in the turbo cool down or it will over heat and kill the turbo, thats were the timer comes in,.. am looking to get a A4 1.8t too but i think am goin to look at 2000 to 2001

thanks
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
28 upvotes
jda wrote:sigh not another one.
If you are too cheap to pay for premium gas, DON'T buy a car that uses it.
Some cars that recommand the premium gas may get away with regular gas without knocking, but the fuel/mileage will suffer.
The bottom line is use premium gas if the manufacture suggests so.
I second that. Don't be cheap to your car or your car will hit you back with repairs in soon time.