[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2100 posts
781 upvotes
Quebec

The 1h « formula » debate

Ok so GF and I have been arguing gently about this lol

We give our kid Kirkland formula and sometimes he doesn’t take it all in the 1h after we heat it.

GF insist that if it’s under 2h it’s fine to give it again to him, while i insist that we have to throw it at the 1h mark

Whose right? Lol
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1639 posts
911 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
How old is the baby? If the formula is prepared proper and bottles cleaned properly, then it’s probably fine. This is assuming baby is healthy.

Another time would be take make bottle, divide it into another bottle and just top off. This keeps one bottle completely clean and the other one for drinking. Title that haven’t been drank last a lot longer.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2100 posts
781 upvotes
Quebec
Macx2mommy wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 10:00 pm
How old is the baby? If the formula is prepared proper and bottles cleaned properly, then it’s probably fine. This is assuming baby is healthy.

Another time would be take make bottle, divide it into another bottle and just top off. This keeps one bottle completely clean and the other one for drinking. Title that haven’t been drank last a lot longer.
Baby is 1 month and I heard it’s not good to mix formula that weren’t made at «  the same time « 
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1639 posts
911 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
ratatapa wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 10:16 pm
Baby is 1 month and I heard it’s not good to mix formula that weren’t made at «  the same time « 
That’s not what I meant. Let’s say baby drinks somewhere between 3 to 6 oz (just making us the numbers). You would make one size ounce bottle, the pour 3 of the ounces into another bottle. Feed baby the first 3 ounces. If baby seems hungry. Pour one ounce into the bottle is already drinking. Keep doing this until baby doesn’t want any more. The other bottle that you are pouring from is still sterile.
And can be put in the fridge. Next feed, give start with this bottle and mix another bottle. Feed baby with the oldest bottle, pouring the new bottle a couple ounces at a time. You are not mixing the formula (which is fine btw) and you wouldn’t have more than an ounce wasted at any time.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9941 posts
7232 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Lol, how times have changed.

Our kids are grown adults, with kids of their own.

When they were infants, it was drummed into us by the Hospital, Nurses, Pediatrician the importance of Food Handling, Food Safety, and Kitchen Cleanliness.

EVERYTHING was separated and boiled, for like the first 3 months of the babies life.

Now it seems to me, no one seems to be bothered anymore. It’s whatever is convenient.

We made bottles in batches, organizing them ahead of time for the next 6, 12 or 24 Hours.

Not mix & go, like I read so many do here
Allthough in some regards I like the sound of that ... vs warming bottles at 2:00 AM while a babe screams loudly in the background ... even though it only takes 5 minutes to get done

Honestly, make ahead I don’t think is a bad thing to do when it’s a newborn infant... we did it cuz it was easiest to sterilize and prepare everything in one go ... but it seems to me that it also promoted organization in keeping it all straight & in order

Bottle A = 1st Feed
Bottle B = 2nd Feed
Bottle C = 3rd Feed etc

NEVER would we think of holding anything over from one feed to the next etc

And yes as @Macx2mommy has suggested, if the babe was hungrier... then we just raided the fridge for another premade bottle
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15950 posts
6134 upvotes
I believe the reason you are supposed to throw out formula after a period of time is due to bacteria growth.

Now I am sure that you will hear various sources of information, however here is one from the BC government:
Once you start feeding your baby, that bottle must be used within 2 hours. Throw out any formula left in the bottle after 2 hours or your baby may get sick. Do not put any warmed formula left in the bottle back into the fridge.
https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthlinkb ... ng-formula

You will find many different opinions, and I would personally only trust those from Canadian government / health agencies and the formula manufacturer.

Personally I think if you are continually having the need for formula to sit for 2 hours after the baby starts feeding you should re-evaluate how much you are mixing. The beauty of formula is that it is (or should be) super easy to just mix more. While you can have it sit for 2 hours after mixing I would just recommend mixing less at a time.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28835 posts
14639 upvotes
Ottawa
With a new born, it's okay to be extra careful.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1991 posts
1000 upvotes
Mississauga
Keep it simple.
> You can make formula in bulk and keep it in fridge for upto 48 hours.
> From the bulk formula you made in step 1, any formula taken out from the fridge must be consumed within next 2 hours.
> The formula that you took out and gave to your baby, If the baby has already started feeding from the bottle and does not finish it all, any left overs should be thrown as the bottle is no longer sterile.

What my wife and I do:
> We preboil and keep hot water in a thermos and make fresh formula everytime. Anything which our daughter does not finish, gets thrown off.
Sep 3, 2013
860 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
I’m a mom of two and I follow the 2-hr rule. Both kids are fine and healthy.
Jan 12, 2005
741 posts
181 upvotes
Ask the doctor. Ours said a few hours is fine