• Sep 12th, 2018 11:46 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver

1lb boneless rib roast?

Any suggestions on how to cook this properly? Too big for a steak method?

I was going to season it with salt and pepper. Sear it on all sides. Then bake or roast in the oven until the proper temp.

What suggestions do people have?

Thanks
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Any suggestions on how to cook this properly? Too big for a steak method?

I was going to season it with salt and pepper. Sear it on all sides. Then bake or roast in the oven until the proper temp.

What suggestions do people have?

Thanks
That's an difficult size to cook, too large to cook as a steak, too small to be a roast. I think I'd sear it on all sides then put it in a slow oven, like 250, and watch carefully until the doneness you want. It would be very easy to overcook at a higher oven temperature.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Ok kool. Lower temperature and longer.

Wait do you mean a slow cooker?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
Season it and sous vide at 131 f for 24 hours. Take out, rub in seasoning, oil, herbs and garlic and finish it in a 450 f oven for about 5-8 minutes. Slice and serve.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
ONE pound rib roast? I'd just go ahead and grill it as a steak after trimming the sides flat. And I'd grill the trimmings too.

Way too much effort and time expended to roast one pound.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Actually doing a 2" tomahawk today on the smoker, slow at 225 and then reverse sear on the hot grill. Its 2.5lbs. That is my personal preference for all steaks I cook.

Of course if you dont have a smoker, I would say you could safely grill it, if its getting too charred it can be moved over and done indirectly until it reaches your desired temp. Indirectly meaning the burner under the steak is off. I say that only because grilling gives it a much better taste than oven.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Im a bachelor lol. Originally when I bought the meat I thought hmmm its boneless and secondly I thought it was just a big steak and would cook it accordingly or in my case bake it after a sear.

But now i will sear it, season it with salt and pepper and bake it slowly. Watching it closely. Probably bake at 300 or less.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Ok kool. Lower temperature and longer.

Wait do you mean a slow cooker?
It's just a cooking expression referring to the temperature you set your oven at. A low temperature (like 250-275) is a "slow" oven, a high temperature (like 450-475) is a "fast" oven.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
How long do think to cook a 1lb roast at 300 degrees after searing? I’ll be watching it but ive read so many different times and temperatures :(

Shouldn’t be too long? Maybe 30 minutes?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
635 upvotes
Leuven
At 1lb I would definitely put that in the steak territory. How thick is it? I wouldn't think at 1lb that it would be an excessively thick steak.

Do you have a thermometer you can leave in the meat to track temperature? Or a decent quick read thermometer you can check the temp with? Time really isn't good enough for something like this. Thickness is as important for cooking time as weight is for a steak like this and too many other variables to really dial it in perfectly.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Results were really good. : ). I marinated for around 18 hours with balsamic vinegar. Then seared all sides for about 2-3 minutes each. Then placed in the oven and baked around 35-40 minutes at 300 degrees.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Results were really good. : ). I marinated for around 18 hours with balsamic vinegar. Then seared all sides for about 2-3 minutes each. Then placed in the oven and baked around 35-40 minutes at 300 degrees.
Good to hear it turned out well!!
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. I got lucky lol. I don’t cook a whole lot so I was happy. As well didn’t waste $15
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1352 posts
1283 upvotes
Calgary
Too late now, but 1lb is definitely steak territory.
Next time "reverse sear" - indirect heat on a low-medium grill until internal temp is about 110°F, then sear over direct heat for about 1 min per side.

Also, rib roast/steak is better off without marinating.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3382 upvotes
Ya I've never heard of marinating a top end piece of beef. And with vinegar??? Seems a waste. The idea is to taste the natural flavor of the meat, and enhance it gently with spices that adds to the natural flavor, not completely replace it.

Might as well have just bought some unrated beef or single A stuff and done the same thing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
badOne wrote: Ya I've never heard of marinating a top end piece of beef. And with vinegar??? Seems a waste. The idea is to taste the natural flavor of the meat, and enhance it gently with spices that adds to the natural flavor, not completely replace it.

Might as well have just bought some unrated beef or single A stuff and done the same thing.
Agreed. Yes, marinate a chuck, skirt, flank, even sirloin or other tough cuts. Rib eye, striploin, porterhouse, etc... no way!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5636 upvotes
chacun a son gout
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)