1st-time Caribbean Cruise traveller this yr

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2005 11:48 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 8, 2004
390 posts
4 upvotes
dafunky1 wrote:It actually does not include air. :cry: Thats cruise and port/taxes only. Have to book air still (which is about 650 ish). The inlaws live in FL so we are extending our trip. I'm not sure if doing the last minute thing is a good risk to take when I WANT to be on that ship. 30 days prior is after the date I have to pay in full. Hmm..what to do?!
Well, air ticket should be around CAD $450 incl. tax for directly flight air canada, American Airlines, air transat(Ft. Lauderdale airport), westjet(Ft. Lauderdale airport).
Full payment must be 70 days before depature.
If you want last minute deal, try to check the rate on 1st, 2nd week of Nov, every Tuesday RCCL has Happy Hours rate. However, promotional price for new booking only, no Price match for early bird booking.

think about Dec 04 Explorer, it's CAD $815 now.
Waiting ....... and waiting.............
Nov 24, 2002
182 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
ash101 wrote:Well, air ticket should be around CAD $450 incl. tax for directly flight air canada, American Airlines, air transat(Ft. Lauderdale airport), westjet(Ft. Lauderdale airport).
Full payment must be 70 days before depature.
If you want last minute deal, try to check the rate on 1st, 2nd week of Nov, every Tuesday RCCL has Happy Hours rate. However, promotional price for new booking only, no Price match for early bird booking.

think about Dec 04 Explorer, it's CAD $815 now.
That must be 450 tax in from Toronto? I'm in Calgary and the best price that I'm getting for air is $613 all in.
Aug 4, 2004
762 posts
ash101 wrote:Titanic is under Bermuda, not Caribbean.
So I should go on a Bermuda cruise to see iceberg? :D
Aug 4, 2004
762 posts
Twism wrote:Oh yeah one other big thing. If you are travelling with a senior and both staying in the same room you both get senior rate on the rooms. I paid $463 for my room on my 7 day carribean cruise.
When I cruise with my parents, we usually enter the passenger name for the rooms so that at one of the occupants will be seniors, in order to get the senior rate for both occupants.

For example, if my wife and I were travelling with my parents, my wife will be entered as roomate with my mom and and I will entered as the roommate with my dad. Now all four of us will be getting the senior rate. After we register, we would switch passes and room.

Sometimes the crew will give you a hard time, but most of the time they will leave you alone.

BTW, to qualify for senior rates, you need to be 55.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
Just came back from a 7-day cruise to the Western Caribbean with Carnival Triumph. This was my 3rd cruise with Carnival, and the ports of call were Cozumel (Mexico), Georgetown (Grand Cayman), and Ocho Rios (Jamaica).

Filled up my schedule as much as I could while in the ports of call. I arranged all the transportation in Mexico, and I booked independent tours for GC and Jamaica. Saved a ton of money by not going with ship tours.

Cozumel, Mexico >> Tulum mayan ruins, and Xel-Ha ecological park (lots of snorkeling, tubing, jumping off a cliff 15ft, etc)
Georgetown, Grand Cayman >> snorkeling with stingrays at Stingray City Sandbar, snorkeling at a coral reef, and Parasailing along 7-mile beach
Ocho Rios, Jamaica >> climbed Dunn's River Falls, river tubing at White River Calypso, plantation tour, Fern Gully

Here's a few pix from the DSLR. (I took about 500 in total, but I won't post them all)
http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~rwong/carnival/page_01.htm

I've been happy with Carnival in all three of my experiences, but I think I will try Royal Caribbean next time. I been wanting to go on the RCL Navigator of the Seas...
Jan 20, 2003
229 posts
35 upvotes
Hi there, I am going to go on my 3rd Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean later this year. My port of calls are exactly the 3 you went to (as well as Labadee).

I did some research and I would like to do almost EXACTLY what you did in all three places you listed. Would you be able to give me who you booked the excursions with and your comments on them?

I am thinking to replace parasailing with visiting the turtle farm, and perhaps skip the plantation tour.

You could PM me if you like. I am excited about the trip and eager to make these pre-trip arrangements so I can have a worry free trip.

Thanks!
aZnRYcEbOi wrote: Cozumel, Mexico >> Tulum mayan ruins, and Xel-Ha ecological park (lots of snorkeling, tubing, jumping off a cliff 15ft, etc)
Georgetown, Grand Cayman >> snorkeling with stingrays at Stingray City Sandbar, snorkeling at a coral reef, and Parasailing along 7-mile beach
Ocho Rios, Jamaica >> climbed Dunn's River Falls, river tubing at White River Calypso, plantation tour, Fern Gully
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
AcuraEL wrote:My port of calls are exactly the 3 you went to (as well as Labadee).
One of my friends is a blood donor, and was told he couldn't be a donor for a year after visiting Haiti.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
AcuraEL wrote:Hi there, I am going to go on my 3rd Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean later this year. My port of calls are exactly the 3 you went to (as well as Labadee).

I did some research and I would like to do almost EXACTLY what you did in all three places you listed. Would you be able to give me who you booked the excursions with and your comments on them?

I am thinking to replace parasailing with visiting the turtle farm, and perhaps skip the plantation tour.

You could PM me if you like. I am excited about the trip and eager to make these pre-trip arrangements so I can have a worry free trip.

Thanks!
Cozumel, Mexico
- carnival was docked there from 7am to 12midnight, so i had ALOT of time there. I'm not sure if RCL is there that long, but if it was a shorter time, i would've done a beginner scuba course instead.
- Got off the ship, and took a taxi ($6usd per car, not per person) to the pier where the ferry is
- Paid $16.50usd round trip for ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen, took the Ultra-mar ferry (yellow one). these ferry's run every hour. the ride itself is 30 mins.
- Once in Playa Del Carmen, you can take either a bus ($8usd i think), or a collectivo (minivan, $2.50) down towards Tulum (about 1 hr ride)
- I took a collectivo...the collectivo stand is at Calle 2, between street 10 and 15. (you should get a map of playa del carmen on the net http://www.travelyucatan.com/playa_del_ ... mexico.php)
- collectivo dropped us off at Tulum, and had to walk 2-3 minutes to buy tickets. Also bought a shuttle from the ticket place to the actual site ($2 round trip, but u can easily walk it in under 10 mins)
- entrance fee to tulum is $4usd
- walked around for about 1.5hrs (it was too hot), and decided to go to Xel-ha
- hopped on the collectivo ($1.50 this time), went north about 10 mins and got off at Xel-ha. Walked about 5 mins to get to the entrance.
- Admission to Xel-ha is $29 for basic (+ 10 for snorkel equipment), OR $59 for all inclusive. I got the all-inclusive since it includes snorkel equipment, food, drinks (alcohol too). check out the xel-ha website for all the stuff you can do there. i was there from around 2pm to 6:30pm, but the park actually closes at 7pm. restaurants close at 5pm i think.
- took a collectivo ($2.50) from Xel-ha to Playa Del Carmen. walked around, bought some souvenirs, and hopped on the ferry back to Cozumel.
- taxi back to the ship ($6usd)

Georgetown, Grand Cayman
- http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/ I signed up on the $30 tour and it includes Stingray City Sandbar (it's a 20 min boat ride to the sandbar), snorkeling at a coral reef.
- got them to drop me off along 7-mile beach, and i signed up for parasailing with Red Sail Sports ($65 per person, or $110 tandem)
- taxi from 7-mile beach back to the ship would've been $4 per person, but there's a parasail taxi boat that dropped us off close to the tender ships for free

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
- http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com/
- highly recommended!!! this guy was really fun and made jamaica an excellent experience. i didn't do jamaica on my own as i've heard that it isn't safe there
- Dunn's River falls is $15, River tubing is $20, and Phil Lafayette's charge is $20
- the plantation tour is included in this package, along with fern gully. he just takes u around everywhere.
- he also took us to this place that sells jerk chicken and jerk pork....delicious!

for more info or research, check out the following sites:
www.cruisereviews.com
www.portreviews.com
www.cruisecritic.com (check out the forum, lots of good reading)

hope that helps!
Jan 20, 2003
229 posts
35 upvotes
aZnRYcEbOi, thanks for the detailed description. It definitely helps.

I have heard about Phil. Good to see your recommendation, I think I will tour with Phil in Jamaica.

As for others, I will have to look at the websites you provided.

Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3395 posts
10 upvotes
aZnRYcEbOi, I was in Cancun this Christmas and Xel'ha was like one of the greatest places I ever went.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
AcuraEL wrote:aZnRYcEbOi, thanks for the detailed description. It definitely helps.

I have heard about Phil. Good to see your recommendation, I think I will tour with Phil in Jamaica.

As for others, I will have to look at the websites you provided.

Thanks again.
I forgot to mention:
For Grand Cayman, there's alot of other companies that you can book with, such as Kelly's, Soto's, or Red Sail Watersports. They're all around 30 bucks, but red sail charges more because they take you there on a catamaran instead.
I had a good experience with Nativeway, and i think they are the only ones that take you to stingray sandbar AND the coral reef....most of the other groups stay only at the stingray sandbar....
but you should check up on that to make sure exactly what you get in the tour...

i kinda wanted to go to the turtle farm also, but had no time.
Our cruise director recommended us to go to Hell also, but we didn't have enough time ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
blizzah wrote:aZnRYcEbOi, I was in Cancun this Christmas and Xel'ha was like one of the greatest places I ever went.
Now that I think back, I wish I went to Xel'ha and spent the whole day there...then the $59 all inclusive woudl've been even more worth it as I would've had 2 meals!

Tulum was ok, but most of the ruins are roped off so you can't go in it anyways. My gf was really bored at Tulum, and she just stood in the shade most of the time, while I went around taking pix with my DSLR. BTW, when you are at Tulum, there is no need to hire a tourguide (20usd?). We just tagged along with another big group that already had one :D , and they have info-boards throughout the site with descriptions/history/stories/etc.
Nov 8, 2004
390 posts
4 upvotes
so, you think which place is better for snokeling or water sports? Grand Cayman or Cozumel?
aZnRYcEbOi wrote:Now that I think back, I wish I went to Xel'ha and spent the whole day there...then the $59 all inclusive woudl've been even more worth it as I would've had 2 meals!

Tulum was ok, but most of the ruins are roped off so you can't go in it anyways. My gf was really bored at Tulum, and she just stood in the shade most of the time, while I went around taking pix with my DSLR. BTW, when you are at Tulum, there is no need to hire a tourguide (20usd?). We just tagged along with another big group that already had one :D , and they have info-boards throughout the site with descriptions/history/stories/etc.
Waiting ....... and waiting.............
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
ash101 wrote:so, you think which place is better for snokeling or water sports? Grand Cayman or Cozumel?
IMO:

Snorkeling/Scuba/Snuba - Cozumel (lots of coral reefs, shallow and deep)
but I'd also recommend going over to Playa del Carmen and check out Xel'ha or Xcaret (time permitting)

Parasailing - Grand Cayman (the guy running the speedboat that I was on was actually a Canadian, originally from Calgary)

Jetskiing - Ocho Rios (2 girls that I talked to, they were able to negotiate 1-hr of jetskiing & a few beers, for $25 usd for both of them while the initial price was like $70-80usd)

Grand Cayman is well known for the natural sandbar area, which is better known as Stingray City. It's about a 20-minute boat ride to get to this natural spot, and it is a must-see. It's way better than the Stingray excursion in the Bahamas (which I did last year, and its located in some fenced off compound).
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1236 posts
81 upvotes
HighFlyer wrote:Perhaps I've been spoiled by the treatment I get on Princess and RCL before I went on Carnival. Regardless, I have found that the passengers on Carnival tend to be rowdy and loud. This was in the dining rooms, common areas, and even the cabin areas late at night/early morning. A lot of the passengers routinely ignore the specific dress codes in the dining room. Some of them will wear jeans or shorts for formal night dinners. And despite the fact that there's a sign 'coverups must be worn' at the entrance of the Lido buffet dining room, there are those that continue to parade into the dining area in their speedos and bathing suits (these are the folks that should be banned from wearing these things in the first place). The staff don't enforce the rules. I can go on and on..... It's the first time I've filled out the complaint card with a lot of Very Poor's checked off.

I know it's their vacation, and they can do whatever they want, but so can I. I will avoid Carnival and stick with Princess and RCL. Many of my friends in my age group (20's) have the same opinion.

Yes, the crowd tends to be middle aged with families, but there are a lot of the mid 20's crowd as well, depending on the sailing.
I completely agree with that - from what I've also heard. I've only ever gone on a Princess cruise. And let me tell you, it's my mission in life to get back onto those boats! Princess is the best option for cruising - Personal Choice dining and so many room choices with balconies make the cruise WELL worth the money. I've heard Carnival = spring break teenage crowds...
:idea:
"Our doubts are traitors, And make us lose the good we oft might win By fearing to attempt."
William Shakespeare Measure for Measure

"You have to go in with a winning attitude. It doesn't mean you'll win, but you'll lose a lot less" - Brad Lamb ("Toronto's Condo King")
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
slothy@cutey wrote: Carnival = spring break teenage crowds...
Exactly!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1236 posts
81 upvotes
Pavel wrote:Exactly!!!
Okay, I admit - not much to add to this post except that I'm glad we agree! (And hooray I'm no longer a Newbie!)
:idea:
"Our doubts are traitors, And make us lose the good we oft might win By fearing to attempt."
William Shakespeare Measure for Measure

"You have to go in with a winning attitude. It doesn't mean you'll win, but you'll lose a lot less" - Brad Lamb ("Toronto's Condo King")
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
dafunky1 wrote:It actually does not include air. :cry: Thats cruise and port/taxes only. Have to book air still (which is about 650 ish). The inlaws live in FL so we are extending our trip. I'm not sure if doing the last minute thing is a good risk to take when I WANT to be on that ship. 30 days prior is after the date I have to pay in full. Hmm..what to do?!
This is what kills the deal for me to the Caribbean unless there are some insane deals to Florida. You travel that far and are on holidays for 7 days. For this price, you can stay at an excellent all-inclusive that also includes tips and all the alcohol you can drink. In addition, if one is on a ship and there are problems with your cabin, there is a good chance that you are stuck, unlike at a [big] resort.

For cruises, I will stay with the Mexican Rivieria and Hawaii until the airfare to Florida becomes more reasonable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)