• Apr 28th, 2017 6:09 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1897 posts
969 upvotes
Moon

2 bed detached vs 3 bed detached

How does appreciation compare between the 2 houses? Also lot is slightly bigger for 2 bed detached and both have 2 bathrooms. I assume 3 bed would have better appreciation but does it make a huge difference?

Only article I could find on this issue is this one, which suggests that 2 bed 2 bath is a good idea:

http://torontorealtyblog.com/archives/13438

But that is Toronto.
Last edited by Applesmack on Apr 25th, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
I was told a number of times to never buy 2 bedroom house because nobody wants them so it's very hard to sell afterwards.
Having said that, with the way the market is, anything can be sold.

If given the choice, I'd go with the 3 bedrooms 100% of the time.
Last edited by flafson on Apr 25th, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
3 bed always with single detached. 2 bed is fine for condo or townhouse.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1897 posts
969 upvotes
Moon
Sanyo wrote: 3 bed always with single detached. 2 bed is fine for condo or townhouse.
So what if I just add a 3rd bedroom if I want to sell it or have kids? I mean the lot for the house is bigger than some 3 bedrooms (66.37 ft X 110.2 ft) lots and the price is about 40-50k cheaper. I assumed both would appreciate similarly because in both cases you own the land? I assume the market for 2 bedroom is first time buyers, seniors and childless couples. Why do you think 2 bed is fine for a condo but not a detached home?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Applesmack wrote: So what if I just add a 3rd bedroom if I want to sell it or have kids? I mean the lot for the house is bigger than some 3 bedrooms (66.37 ft X 110.2 ft) lots and the price is about 40-50k cheaper. I assumed both would appreciate similarly because in both cases you own the land? I assume the market for 2 bedroom is first time buyers, seniors and childless couples. Why do you think 2 bed is fine for a condo but not a detached home?
Because not many want a 2 bed detached... most people who buy detached are families... not many single people buying detaches.

Its just the way it is, you can even ask your realtor. Now in Ottawa it may be different there is hardly any 2 bed detaches anyways in the GTA so maybe its a different market, different lifestyle out there but in GTA no way to a 2 bed detached.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1897 posts
969 upvotes
Moon
Sanyo wrote: Because not many want a 2 bed detached... most people who buy detached are families... not many single people buying detaches.

Its just the way it is, you can even ask your realtor. Now in Ottawa it may be different there is hardly any 2 bed detaches anyways in the GTA so maybe its a different market, different lifestyle out there but in GTA no way to a 2 bed detached.
There is almost no 2 bed detached in Ottawa either. I found one and it is pretty large home that is ~40k cheaper than comparable 3 bed properties. The smaller amount of space is appealing to me because I'm single and would prefer a cheaper/smaller home while not having to share any wall. My plan was to buy this house and use appreciation from the land as my investment. I was under assumption that houses are tied to appreciation of the land and a 3rd bedroom should add fixed value of equity to a house and should have nothing to do with appreciation since a 3rd bedroom can always be added. Am I wrong here?
Oct 13, 2011
853 posts
715 upvotes
Applesmack wrote: There is almost no 2 bed detached in Ottawa either. I found one and it is pretty large home that is ~40k cheaper than comparable 3 bed properties. The smaller amount of space is appealing to me because I'm single and would prefer a cheaper/smaller home while not having to share any wall. My plan was to buy this house and use appreciation from the land as my investment. I was under assumption that houses are tied to appreciation of the land and a 3rd bedroom should add fixed value of equity to a house and should have nothing to do with appreciation since a 3rd bedroom can always be added. Am I wrong here?
You can always upgrade the building but you can never upgrade the location or the lot size. I will value the lot size and location more especially if there are infill activity happening at the neighbourhood you're looking at.
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11231 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto
Applesmack wrote: How does appreciation compare between the 2 houses? Also lot is slightly bigger for 2 bed detached and both have 2 bathrooms. I assume 3 bed would have better appreciation but does it make a huge difference?

Only article I could find on this issue is this one, which suggests that 2 bed 2 bath is a good idea:

http://torontorealtyblog.com/archives/13438

But that is Toronto.
I'm guessing you're looking in Ottawa Applesmack?

What's the price difference between the 2 and 3 bedrooms?
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
2290 posts
2343 upvotes
Toronto
I would definitely say minimum of 3 bedroom. @ bedroom would be good if it is a condo.
Last edited by Smiley22 on Apr 26th, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
If the 2 bedroom can easily be converted to 3 bedroom is one thing, if it cannot, that's a serious red flag in my mind.
But again, if you're ok with 2 bedroom then why bother with anything else?

If given a choice, most people would choose 3 bedroom over 2 bedroom the same way they would choose 4 bedroom over 3 bedroom.
Sep 7, 2009
873 posts
511 upvotes
I've wondered about this myself. In the area I am looking at, the most common house is the bungalow. These were originally built with 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom on the main floor. Some that have been renovated turned the 3rd bedroom into an ensuite and walk-in closet for the master bedroom. Usually there are additional bedrooms and bathroom in the basement.

For myself, I prefer the 2 bedroom with ensuite/walk-in layout. But for resale, I think the market for the 3 bedroom is much bigger.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Applesmack wrote: There is almost no 2 bed detached in Ottawa either. I found one and it is pretty large home that is ~40k cheaper than comparable 3 bed properties. The smaller amount of space is appealing to me because I'm single and would prefer a cheaper/smaller home while not having to share any wall. My plan was to buy this house and use appreciation from the land as my investment. I was under assumption that houses are tied to appreciation of the land and a 3rd bedroom should add fixed value of equity to a house and should have nothing to do with appreciation since a 3rd bedroom can always be added. Am I wrong here?
Well.. if your heart is set on the 2 bed then why you asking? Yes you could convert to 3 bed in the future in you want...
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
677 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
We have a 2-bed detached. Most of the other homes on the street are the same, all double-income, no kids. We sought out a 2-bed when we were looking so many years ago because we knew there'd never be any kids. It works very well for us. I have no need for a 3rd bdrm.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12572 upvotes
Markham
Applesmack wrote: So what if I just add a 3rd bedroom if I want to sell it or have kids? I mean the lot for the house is bigger than some 3 bedrooms (66.37 ft X 110.2 ft) lots and the price is about 40-50k cheaper. I assumed both would appreciate similarly because in both cases you own the land? I assume the market for 2 bedroom is first time buyers, seniors and childless couples. Why do you think 2 bed is fine for a condo but not a detached home?
You can add but still that's time consuming
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
holden wrote: I've wondered about this myself. In the area I am looking at, the most common house is the bungalow. These were originally built with 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom on the main floor. Some that have been renovated turned the 3rd bedroom into an ensuite and walk-in closet for the master bedroom. Usually there are additional bedrooms and bathroom in the basement.

For myself, I prefer the 2 bedroom with ensuite/walk-in layout. But for resale, I think the market for the 3 bedroom is much bigger.
That's exactly what my husband and I did! Took a 50's 3-bedroom, 1.5 bath bungalow and turned it into a 2-bedroom, 2-bath (one is master ensuite) house. Perfect for us! Since we plan to live here forever, we don't care about future sales. I know people who want to downsize but not to a condo or townhouse, and small bungalows are getting harder to find.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
3 bedrooms minimum for detached OR townhouse.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Because the market (customer) for a condo is completely different than that for a detached home. I don't know of anybody that would be looking for a 2 bedroom detached home. If they are settled on a condo, then 2 bedroom is more the norm. You want to be able to reach the largest market. The market for a 2 bedroom detached is small (hence the lower price).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Sanyo wrote: Because not many want a 2 bed detached... most people who buy detached are families... not many single people buying detaches.

No way to a 2 bed detached here in Ottawa too. Almost all are at least 3 bedrooms, and the market for 2 bedrooms would be very slim in comparison to 3 or more bedrooms.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4525 posts
3687 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote: No way to a 2 bed detached here in Ottawa too. Almost all are at least 3 bedrooms, and the market for 2 bedrooms would be very slim in comparison to 3 or more bedrooms.
Yes the vast majority of people want 3 or even 4 bedrooms but the key to the price is supply and demand and the key to appreciation is how each will grow. It is very hard to predict and Realtors really only have a narrow view. They say don't buy a two bedroom because they know they are harder to sell but also keep in mind they are "easier" to buy (in the sense they are cheaper.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)