• Jun 16th, 2018 1:09 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2004
1246 posts
9 upvotes

2 months, 100+ applications, 0 results so far - please critique resume

Hello,

I've been applying for about 2 months now using the following two resumes with no results to date:
Accounting AP/AR
http://docdro.id/GQyXaCx

Administrative Assistant
http://docdro.id/H8nbOKc

I am applying to harder to get into companies - municipal government, utilities, colleges, etc.

Thank You in advance for the feedback.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1916 posts
284 upvotes
Your first resume at least isn't bad - but what types of roles are you applying to? Your experience is fairly limited in scope, automated at many companies already, and at the lower end within the "accounting/finance" world...are you overshooting by applying to roles which are too above your experience level?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2106 posts
515 upvotes
Toronto
winner2000 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 7:25 pm
Your first resume at least isn't bad - but what types of roles are you applying to? Your experience is fairly limited in scope, automated at many companies already, and at the lower end within the "accounting/finance" world...are you overshooting by applying to roles which are too above your experience level?
AP is never above one experience level.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1916 posts
284 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 7:27 pm
AP is never above one experience level.
Not sure if I understand your point. I was trying to say that if OP is applying to a "Senior Accountant" role (as an example), he is way too underqualified with his AP/AR/Admin experience.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1485 posts
524 upvotes
Tokyo
Sounds like very basic entry-level experience, which are a dime a dozen (maybe hundred).

Don’t mean to sound harsh OP but you don’t posess either 1) unique skillset or 2) high demand skillset.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2004
1246 posts
9 upvotes
That's understood, applying for the same level AP/AR jobs, so not going for higher level jobs.

Also applying for admin assistant jobs.

There are quite a few postings with that have lower minimum requirements. Since my resume is not getting any traction, I though maybe something can be improved resume-wise.
Oct 9, 2009
102 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver
Did you receive any interviews?

Where are you geographically located?

Why do you want to leave your current position?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
5848 posts
836 upvotes
Raven_007 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 6:24 pm
Hello,

I've been applying for about 2 months now using the following two resumes with no results to date:
Accounting AP/AR
http://docdro.id/GQyXaCx

Administrative Assistant
http://docdro.id/H8nbOKc

I am applying to harder to get into companies - municipal government, utilities, colleges, etc.

Thank You in advance for the feedback.
Right off the bat I would suggest you put down your accomplishments rather than list responsibilities.

Instead of summary of qualifications try Objective and target to the position your applying for.

Shorten your area of expertise, MS Office should be enough you don't need to list the separate components, this should be highlighted in the body of your resume. Get rid of Customer Service.

Accounts admin, receivable and payable ....too wordy, isn't there one term that describes all 3?
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5435 posts
2950 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Condense your experience a bit more, try a sans serif font like Calibri or Helvetica, add a splash of color i.e. to the section headers

Visual impact is just as important as the contents
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1759 posts
593 upvotes
Raven_007 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 9:36 pm
That's understood, applying for the same level AP/AR jobs, so not going for higher level jobs.

Also applying for admin assistant jobs.

There are quite a few postings with that have lower minimum requirements. Since my resume is not getting any traction, I though maybe something can be improved resume-wise.
I would recommend apply to the Federal/Provincial/Crown Corps if you’re looking to get into the Government.

Generally, their posting let you know what they want you to include in your cover/resume.

With the Feds, there are usually screening questions as part of the application process so you know what information they’re looking for.

I don’t know if you’re in Ontario, but if so, their Provincial posting have a guideline at the bottom on how to apply.

From looking at your resume, you would be more than qualified to get hired in an entry level position as an admin assistant or something similar with the Feds/Province.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5096 posts
2431 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Raven_007 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 6:24 pm
You answered your own question. And I know people will argue with me that it isn't like this with government anymore, blah, blah, blah, but really you often need to know someone.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2025 posts
124 upvotes
Are you looking for anything in Markham?
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1104 posts
144 upvotes
Markham, ON
Maybe take a break in working and go to school to write a paper. I felt tired reading your job responsibilities from your past jobs. No wonder I am not in accounting.

You are a hard worker, 100 applications in 2 months! Good for you!
Nov 13, 2004
129 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chickinvic wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 12:47 pm
You answered your own question. ...really you often need to know someone.
This. But you can get around it by networking. Ask people in offices you want to work at to go for coffee with you so you can learn how to get your foot in the door.

If you have the gumption to apply to 100 jobs, you can ask for an informational coffee sit down with a few people.

Also, some places take more than a few months to process applications. You might still be in the running for some positions.

Good luck.
Jan 12, 2017
526 posts
560 upvotes
YK
OP, do you have any connections or networking possibilities in municipal government, utilities, colleges?
This may help with getting an interview.