Automotive

2% Price increase for renewals in Ontario starting July 1 2019?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2019 10:11 am
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
4205 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary

6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
22 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
kocoman wrote: 2% Price increase for renewals in Ontario starting July 1 2019?
Renewals of what?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1034 posts
1821 upvotes
2% increase to pay for Ford's pathetic license plate re-design.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Yup, what's new.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
The the Bubba Dougherty’s Ford Gong Show rolls on....

In a proposal quietly posted to a regulatory registry for public comment, the government says it is seeking to introduce annual fee increases of two per cent "across the board" for "various driver, vehicle and carrier products and services."

The fee increases would start July 1 and continue for five years, under the proposal.

vs

"People are fed up with paying more and more every time they need to renew their licence or take a driving test," Premier Doug Ford said in a statement at the time.

Can you hear that? That’s the sound of another flip-flop as he lets the people down again after realizing that his initial promise was made without any due diligence, without any sort of real plan or agenda, and without actually knowing what they’re doing....
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: The the Bubba Dougherty’s Ford Gong Show rolls on....

In a proposal quietly posted to a regulatory registry for public comment, the government says it is seeking to introduce annual fee increases of two per cent "across the board" for "various driver, vehicle and carrier products and services."

The fee increases would start July 1 and continue for five years, under the proposal.

vs

"People are fed up with paying more and more every time they need to renew their licence or take a driving test," Premier Doug Ford said in a statement at the time.

Can you hear that? That’s the sound of another flip-flop as he lets the people down again after realizing that his initial promise was made without any due diligence, without any sort of real plan or agenda, and without actually knowing what they’re doing....
To be fair, indexing to inflation is more than fine. I was surprised that renewals for 1 and 2 years cost exactly such that the 2 year renewal is exactly twice as much as for 1 year. That seems odd to me. Plate renewal costs have also not changed in several years.

We run a deficit still and I'm sure if it were up to Ford he would cut more and more (I wholeheartedly support mass spending cuts FWIW). So if he is using this 2% to pay for things that the Left keep on begging him to do, then so be it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, and that seems to be what people, all up, want.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
angryaudifanatic wrote: To be fair, indexing to inflation is more than fine. I was surprised that renewals for 1 and 2 years cost exactly such that the 2 year renewal is exactly twice as much as for 1 year. That seems odd to me. Plate renewal costs have also not changed in several years.

We run a deficit still and I'm sure if it were up to Ford he would cut more and more (I wholeheartedly support mass spending cuts FWIW). So if he is using this 2% to pay for things that the Left keep on begging him to do, then so be it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, and that seems to be what people, all up, want.
I hear ya! There’s no easy answers in things like this.

My beef with Bubba is that he doesn’t really have a plan, doesn’t really know what he’s doing, and he’s flip flopping all over the place when the realities or implications finally settle in.

Spend a ton more or cut things to the bone. I don’t really care either way as long as you have a plan that shows you’ve thought things through, that you have data or research to back up your position, and you or the cast of characters around you know what they’re doing.

Bubba? Not so much. He seems to just spew out populist lines as he panders to the audience in the heat of the moment.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
angryaudifanatic wrote: To be fair, indexing to inflation is more than fine. I was surprised that renewals for 1 and 2 years cost exactly such that the 2 year renewal is exactly twice as much as for 1 year. That seems odd to me. Plate renewal costs have also not changed in several years.

+1
What is lost in the anti Ford rhetoric is that he cancelled a 7% increase and will now, maybe, increase by 2%. Far less than the previous increase.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5100 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't mind paying for this. As long as the money goes into improving infrastructure and crappy roads. Someone has to pay for it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
canoek wrote: I don't mind paying for this. As long as the money goes into improving infrastructure and crappy roads. Someone has to pay for it.
Infrastructure and roads are funded by property taxes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9537 posts
3186 upvotes
Partly funded by property taxes, partly from development charges, partly from the province, partly from the feds

eg kingston is building a new bridge, $30m from municipal taxes, $30m from development charges,$60m from the province, $60m from the feds.

a 2% increase in fees is...keeping them the same as last year
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
zoro69 wrote: Partly funded by property taxes, partly from development charges, partly from the province, partly from the feds

eg kingston is building a new bridge, $30m from municipal taxes, $30m from development charges,$60m from the province, $60m from the feds.

a 2% increase in fees is...keeping them the same as last year
Not sure what the breakdown for the City of Ottawa is, but the city allocated $447M last year for infrastructure.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5100 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote: Infrastructure and roads are funded by property taxes.
The property taxes have gone up a lot in the last 10 years. Not in %age, but due to higher valuations of houses. And I believe there's a limit on yearly increases, so they keep increasing every year. Too bad the roads haven't seen any of that windfall.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
canoek wrote: The property taxes have gone up a lot in the last 10 years. Not in %age, but due to higher valuations of houses. And I believe there's a limit on yearly increases, so they keep increasing every year. Too bad the roads haven't seen any of that windfall.
Yup, a 2% increase is a drop in the bucket.
He did good killing the stupid e-test, as that was more of an inconvenience than anything else.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: +1
What is lost in the anti Ford rhetoric is that he cancelled a 7% increase and will now, maybe, increase by 2%. Far less than the previous increase.
Well, at 2% yearly for 5 yrs as proposed it will amount to a 10% cumulative increase in the end.

Pick your poison. Several % jumps every now and then or small % steps compounded annually over time.

Same sh!t, different smell.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9537 posts
3186 upvotes
um, property taxes do not go up in relation to house prices. They do if one house increases more then others in the same municipality (which would mean others save), but no effect overall
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
zoro69 wrote: um, property taxes do not go up in relation to house prices. They do if one house increases more then others in the same municipality (which would mean others save), but no effect overall
This. They adjust the mill rate to ensure that they collect the required taxes regardless of whether property values rise or fall.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Yup, a 2% increase is a drop in the bucket.
He did good killing the stupid e-test, as that was more of an inconvenience than anything else.
I agree,
I don't mind paying the 2% extra.

The Province has tons of debt to pay, money gotta comes from somewhere and the 2% increase is more reasonable.

My Car and home insurance increased more than that.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015