2 systems in 1 case (Evolv X) - Build suggestions

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2018 1:14 am
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes

2 systems in 1 case (Evolv X) - Build suggestions

I picked up the new Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case (http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-X.html). One of the new features is that you can have dual systems. I also picked up the Revolt X 1200w PSU. That PSU was designed to run 2 systems.

Side note: I bought this case directly from Phanteks on the first shipment. This case in Canada is only on pre-order at Newegg where I think only the silver one is not sold out and will ship out Oct 5. But for those interested, I would keep an eye out at various PC shops and amazon. It should come out as early as today to next week. For now I can gloat at one of the very few Canadians to have this case... and possibly a fraction of that who also has the PSU as well. :P

Current main rig: i7-6700k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080, 500GB NVMe, 3 TB HDD, 240mm AIO cooler, 850W PSU (was planning of getting another GTX 1080, but never did).

The second PC will be a Plex server, streaming, and a general PC to screw around on when main rig is rendering. For a Plex server I read you need an i7 to transcode 4K. Is that really necessary? I'm thinking of something along the lines of an i5, 16GB RAM from my main rig and buy a couple of high capacity HDD, 140mm AIO cooler (venting out the top) with no GPU.

Upgrades to my main rig, get 32 GB RAM. But if I want to go big, I could put my 6700K in the second PC and get a new CPU (and mobo) for my main rig. Something like the up coming i9-9900k. My main system is good enough for my needs. Outside of a little more RAM, I don't feel the need to upgrade much.

Any thoughts/suggestions on specs?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Just out of curiousity, why bother with two systems in one case? Why not just use virtualization and make one powerful system.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
eblend wrote: Just out of curiousity, why bother with two systems in one case? Why not just use virtualization and make one powerful system.
I get that there are cheaper ways to do things. I could have just bought a Nvidia Shield or something similar, if I really wanted 2 systems to not impact each other. I could have even just built a SFF PC if I wanted to build something. Even getting this particular case. Why did I buy the Evolv X case when I already own an Evolv ATX case? What kind of madness is this?

I can give various reasons, but it just comes down to because I want to. I haven't done this before and want to try this out. This is just the beginning of much larger things. Like I plan to build a custom loop with the main system. Completely unnecessary, as my temps are decent in the Evolv ATX and should be even better in the Evolv X given the larger cutouts for airflow. ... also I'm a phanteks fanboy. I really love the look of this case and seeing that the new version really put an emphasis on fixing the problems it had as well as introduce new features. I had to have it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
I'd vote for going all out! i9 9XXX for main rig and put your current setup in the #2 spot of the case. Or get an 8th gen i7.... Even spice it up and go threadripper?

or you can go cheap and do a proof of concept build first. keep your current i7 as main.. and slap in a 2/3rd gen i5 and play around with the setup to make sure you like having a 2 in 1comp before you fully commit.. by that time i9 dust would've settled and you can decide if you want to go that route.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
joeyjoejoe wrote: I picked up the new Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case (http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-X.html). One of the new features is that you can have dual systems. I also picked up the Revolt X 1200w PSU. That PSU was designed to run 2 systems.

Side note: I bought this case directly from Phanteks on the first shipment. This case in Canada is only on pre-order at Newegg where I think only the silver one is not sold out and will ship out Oct 5. But for those interested, I would keep an eye out at various PC shops and amazon. It should come out as early as today to next week. For now I can gloat at one of the very few Canadians to have this case... and possibly a fraction of that who also has the PSU as well. :P

Current main rig: i7-6700k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080, 500GB NVMe, 3 TB HDD, 240mm AIO cooler, 850W PSU (was planning of getting another GTX 1080, but never did).

The second PC will be a Plex server, streaming, and a general PC to screw around on when main rig is rendering. For a Plex server I read you need an i7 to transcode 4K. Is that really necessary? I'm thinking of something along the lines of an i5, 16GB RAM from my main rig and buy a couple of high capacity HDD, 140mm AIO cooler (venting out the top) with no GPU.

Upgrades to my main rig, get 32 GB RAM. But if I want to go big, I could put my 6700K in the second PC and get a new CPU (and mobo) for my main rig. Something like the up coming i9-9900k. My main system is good enough for my needs. Outside of a little more RAM, I don't feel the need to upgrade much.

Any thoughts/suggestions on specs?
I would do 1 side a gaming pc and the other a NAS setup I think. Interesting concept
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
joeyjoejoe wrote: I get that there are cheaper ways to do things. I could have just bought a Nvidia Shield or something similar, if I really wanted 2 systems to not impact each other. I could have even just built a SFF PC if I wanted to build something. Even getting this particular case. Why did I buy the Evolv X case when I already own an Evolv ATX case? What kind of madness is this?

I can give various reasons, but it just comes down to because I want to. I haven't done this before and want to try this out. This is just the beginning of much larger things. Like I plan to build a custom loop with the main system. Completely unnecessary, as my temps are decent in the Evolv ATX and should be even better in the Evolv X given the larger cutouts for airflow. ... also I'm a phanteks fanboy. I really love the look of this case and seeing that the new version really put an emphasis on fixing the problems it had as well as introduce new features. I had to have it.
Cool enough. I have a single server doing everything for me, with like 6 VMs running, Plex being one of em, and it's more than enough, so was just curious.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
XtremeModder wrote: I would do 1 side a gaming pc and the other a NAS setup I think. Interesting concept
I don't think you'd want to put a NAS where you do your main work. Imagine all those spinning noises. Unless you are planning to do SSD NAS.

On the other hand, I don't get Plex server anymore, kind of useless for me. What devices nowadays cannot decode 4k?
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
for me plex is outdated to me. I run HTPCs, much more robust. 2nd, just build a dual Xeon system, like buy a used system. that would be more then enough for a plex coding, and alot of VM's
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Sep 22, 2018
40 posts
7 upvotes
The case was shipped from Europe or USA to Canada? Did you have to pay import duty? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1086 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
why don’t you use the money to buy a nice desk with two drawers...plenty space to accommodate two systems.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
nbdrdwg18 wrote: The case was shipped from Europe or USA to Canada? Did you have to pay import duty? Thanks.
I bought directly from Phanteks USA on their first shipment order back at the end of August. I shipped it to Buffalo and picked it up there. The reason being their shipper was UPS. I wouldn't recommend going my route as availability shouldn't be an issue in a few weeks. I bought the case with the PSU, so there was no avoiding taxes. There's no duty on PC parts.

If you missed out on the newegg.ca pre-order, then probably give Canada Computers or Memory Express a call. They might have stock seeing that they are the official Phanteks Canadian suppliers. Amazon and Newegg were both mentioned in getting stock. Newegg when ahead with a preorder while Amazon didn't. That pre-order ships out on Oct 5th. Could be when more stock comes in?
ZoomZoom2006 wrote: why don’t you use the money to buy a nice desk with two drawers...plenty space to accommodate two systems.
Why do you think that desk space is the issue?

I currently have a custom made L-shaped desk and I'm planning to add to that a sit/stand desk. But even without the sit/stand desk, I have plenty of room for multiple PCs. The sit/stand desk was meant more for me building and modding PCs... and other art projects.
Sep 22, 2018
40 posts
7 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: I bought directly from Phanteks USA on their first shipment order back at the end of August. I shipped it to Buffalo and picked it up there. The reason being their shipper was UPS. I wouldn't recommend going my route as availability shouldn't be an issue in a few weeks. I bought the case with the PSU, so there was no avoiding taxes. There's no duty on PC parts.

If you missed out on the newegg.ca pre-order, then probably give Canada Computers or Memory Express a call. They might have stock seeing that they are the official Phanteks Canadian suppliers. Amazon and Newegg were both mentioned in getting stock. Newegg when ahead with a preorder while Amazon didn't. That pre-order ships out on Oct 5th. Could be when more stock comes in?
Thanks a lot for the valuable info. I'm afraid it's out of my budget. With the current state of Intel's 9th gen CPUs, I might have to wait till next year before buying any new case. I really appreciate your help.
Oct 31, 2006
540 posts
164 upvotes
Are you happy with the case? I am stuck on a system build because I just cannot decide whether to pay so much and best alternate. Best "deal" for it now is with Newegg's black friday 20 off 200. I love the look of this case though.