• Aug 11th, 2017 12:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 27, 2013
146 posts
29 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

2 yr old doesn't speak

Hey hey. Quickly here. My son turned 2 in March. He says the odd word doctors are a bit concerned. Could be million things I know. Here is some extra info: he understands, he does sign language, is social with other kids. Eats a lot, tantrums, gets frustrated when he wants something partially at the fact he wants it partially because he can't speak. Thanks.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2361 posts
930 upvotes
You need to get him assessed by a professional. First they will do a hearing test. Then he should be seen by a speech pathologist. Some people will tell you just to wait it out and see if he catches up but don't. Sometimes it can take a long time to get in to things like speech therapy and it's best if any issues are addressed before he starts school.
Sep 21, 2011
48 posts
8 upvotes
GTA
I agree, is is a good idea to set up a consultation with a Speech Language Pathologist.
You can do this through funded programs or by accessing a private practitioner at your own cost/personal health benefits.
There is often a waiting list to access services.

Here is the program funded by the government for preschool age children in Peel Region.
Halton-Peel Preschool Speech and Language
(905) 855-3557
Toll Free: 1- (877) 374-6625 (ERINOAK)
Fax : (905) 855-9451
TTY: (905) 855-4925
www.erinoakkids.ca
Jan 8, 2009
623 posts
274 upvotes
GTA
Just going to add my agreement that it's best to get your name on the list now. It can take a while to get in to see someone and if things have resolved by the time the appointment rolls around, then great, but if you need it, then you won't be waiting at that point.
[OP]
Oct 27, 2013
146 posts
29 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Thanks. Point taken.

Forgot to add doctor has made appointment. Still waiting. Anyone recommend a private clinic?
Mar 9, 2012
675 posts
199 upvotes
KITCHENER
newby1983 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 11:04 pm
Thanks. Point taken.

Forgot to add doctor has made appointment. Still waiting. Anyone recommend a private clinic?
I am totally unsure if this answer is correct, but do you have an employer that offers an Employee Assistance Program? They might be able to help, if you're looking privately, But I really don't know. Hopefully he's just 'behind'.

I remember our daughter, she was an early talker, in fact, around 4 months. But she wasn't walking. They tell you that there is something wrong with your kid if they ain't walking by 18 months. She started walking about 6 days before the 18 month cut-off. So it turned out to be nothing. It might the same with you. Could be nothing. Could be something that is a relatively easy to fix.

You already got the point of the other posters. Maybe pressure your doctor a bit to move it up. Do you see a paediatrician?
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13976 posts
3524 upvotes
Ottawa
Good to hear that your doctor raised the concern and referred your kid right away.
Continue to follow up and good luck.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1608 posts
578 upvotes
I agree with the advice given about getting your child on the wait list as soon as possible, however I wouldn't worry too much. My son was very very early with his language development ( everybody was amazed), but one month before he's three he's still struggling with colours and numbers - something that was easy for my daughter before she was 2. It really may be nothing to worry about.
Sep 19, 2013
794 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
newby1983 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 9:02 pm
Hey hey. Quickly here. My son turned 2 in March. He says the odd word doctors are a bit concerned. Could be million things I know. Here is some extra info: he understands, he does sign language, is social with other kids. Eats a lot, tantrums, gets frustrated when he wants something partially at the fact he wants it partially because he can't speak. Thanks.
really? my son started taking when he was almost 3 (now he doesnt stop but thats a different matter). even we had raised the concern. but the pediatrician (veteran of 25-30 yrs experience) said its no concern. always gave the Einstein example who started talking when he was 4.

so you do what is best for your child, but just wanted to say that its normal based on my (limited) knowledge.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2361 posts
930 upvotes
amitdi wrote:
May 4th, 2017 12:50 pm
really? my son started taking when he was almost 3 (now he doesnt stop but thats a different matter). even we had raised the concern. but the pediatrician (veteran of 25-30 yrs experience) said its no concern. always gave the Einstein example who started talking when he was 4.

so you do what is best for your child, but just wanted to say that its normal based on my (limited) knowledge.
You know why that's dangerous? Because if the child does have a legitimate speech delay. I'm not joking when I say it can take 2 years to get into the right programs. So you wait until your child is 3 or 4 then decide oh crap he never caught up. So now you start the process and your child is in grade 1 or 2 before they start getting the propert speech therapy they need and they have fallen very far behind. I have seen this happen.

There is zero harm in getting started early to have your child evaluated properly. One of my kids wasn't talking much at 2. They started the whole process of hearing tests, evaluations etc. By 3 he had caught up no problem, but if he hadn't we were already on track to address it and have him proper speech therapy.

Honestly if my doctor had given me the advice your doctor had, after knowing others who's kid struggled in school because it wasn't dealt with sooner, I would have looked for a new doctor.
Sep 19, 2013
794 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
well ok, i dont blame you or others for getting in line because the system is slow. thats a system issue which is beyond the scope of this discussion.

however, i just meant to give the OP one data point. good luck to OP.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1336 posts
362 upvotes
VANCOUVER
newby1983 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 9:02 pm
Is your son exposed to screen time from devices everyday for over 30 min each time? I just read an article the other day where they did a study stating it affected kids under 24 months.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4637 posts
375 upvotes
Scarborough
a friend had this issue. He took the kid back home for few months there were tons of people who talked to the kid everyday, guess what, the kid started talking right away
here probably the kid was not talking cuz they see the same 1 or 2 people......seeing more people/socially gets them more active and earlier things happen
Oct 29, 2006
745 posts
242 upvotes
amitdi wrote:
May 4th, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm not adding to the discussion, but just wanted to dispel this persistent myth. Einstein spoke in complete sentences at some point between two and three years of age. Source.