• Jun 28th, 2010 9:33 am
Tags:
23 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1277 posts
38 upvotes
Langley
Most of these are common to other big box retailers as well and not just Walmart. I used to work retail in the past and although it was never as a cashier I know they are usually the most under appreciated staff in the store.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1312 posts
60 upvotes
Ottawa
I often wonder if Wal-Mart cashiers who try to walk to the back room to go on break ever make it. Do they actually make it and get their break? Do they make it to their next shift? Do they ever see their families again? Does anyone ever see them again? If they do make it on break, do they make it back to their cash when their break's over or does Wal-Mart have a cashier-dispenser near the front of the store to replace everyone they send on break?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1099 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
^ :lol: Yep, being a CSR/cashier in retail is definately one of the most stressful and least gratifying jobs out there... I think many of us students who work in retail part-time know the feeling!
Mar 19, 2008
473 posts
22 upvotes
That is pretty pathetic. What on earth did you think a job was ? Something where you go and do what you like for a shift and get paid for it ? I realize that cashier is not a good job, but you are complaining about things like a line of customers. Why do you think they are paying you to work at a cash ?
Aug 20, 2009
886 posts
114 upvotes
jjasond wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2010 8:23 pm
That is pretty pathetic. What on earth did you think a job was ? Something where you go and do what you like for a shift and get paid for it ? I realize that cashier is not a good job, but you are complaining about things like a line of customers. Why do you think they are paying you to work at a cash ?
Well most of the time, WM has like 3-4 cashiers working simultaneously. I guess this leads to endless line-ups.
Warning: Hereinabove may contain traces of irony and/or sarcasm!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7041 posts
673 upvotes
GTA
I also felt none of those things were specific to Walmart (but in truth, I think the post was meant to direct traffic to the posted website rather than giving us an inside scoop on Walmart cashiers - if not the poster would just have posted the info here).
Mar 19, 2008
473 posts
22 upvotes
sillysimms wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2010 9:14 pm
I think the post was meant to direct traffic to the posted website rather than giving us an inside scoop on Walmart cashiers - if not the poster would just have posted the info here).
Agreed, I'm not sure how that was allowed as the OP's first post - I think a contentless post with a link to a blog violates some kind of rule.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
Hey!
well you can always read my blog-it is actually interesting and about food and cosmetics :)

Wanted to add,
my aunt she used to manage a Walmart before she was disabled and in a wheelchair. She was one of the managers when they were smaller for a couple years and she thought it was an ok job.

Did not really hear anything "bad" about it.
She did say that Walmart if you are disabled they are VERY good at helping you with your job.
She was offered everything so she could still keep her job, even if her health was worse if she wanted.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1170 posts
80 upvotes
Regardless of how annoying it is (or maybe because of how annoying it is) I think everybody should work a retail job for a while at some point in their life -- the sooner, the better! I worked at Canadian Tire for one summer and it was really eye-opening just how hard these people work, and how badly they are often treated by customers. Then you open up your paycheck and see just how much all that back-breaking work was worth. Really teaches you the value of a dollar, and the value of treating your fellow man decently.

Once you've worked 10-hour shifts for $8.00 an hour (well, minimum wage has increased since then), you really appreciate the privilege of being able to sit down at a desk job for $50-60K a year.
Dec 20, 2008
264 posts
3 upvotes
linux2k wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2010 8:57 pm
Well most of the time, WM has like 3-4 cashiers working simultaneously. I guess this leads to endless line-ups.
An endless line up, assuming the wait times for customers aren't too long, is a sign of a well-run store. At the scale Walmart operates at, there is no one better operationally.

Plus this list is Canadian, where Walmart isn't even that busy. This person should try working in a Timmy's or a Costco in a busy area.
Mar 9, 2010
897 posts
80 upvotes
Be glad, loblaw use self-serve which eliminate jobs from the market.

The most i see @ cashier @ loblaw is 2-3 open. Then again i never see them having a line.

Beside as these corporation like walmart converge into centralize super store, watch the retailers in your area shrink in the result. I personally believe the effect is small but exist. Eventually, the canadian economy crumbles because they let these corporate giant who can't compete at a higher level take shares from the lowers.

An example of a retail shop that are disappearing is "photo store", and more general clothing stores. Leaving many malls with opening which lead their mall losing customers meaning other vendor losing business.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1681 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
It sucks when some guy tells you to put groceries into his reusable Telus bag which is clearly not your job.
Aug 21, 2008
137 posts
Toronto
GreyingJay wrote:
Jun 24th, 2010 5:19 pm
Regardless of how annoying it is (or maybe because of how annoying it is) I think everybody should work a retail job for a while at some point in their life -- the sooner, the better! I worked at Canadian Tire for one summer and it was really eye-opening just how hard these people work, and how badly they are often treated by customers. Then you open up your paycheck and see just how much all that back-breaking work was worth. Really teaches you the value of a dollar, and the value of treating your fellow man decently.

Once you've worked 10-hour shifts for $8.00 an hour (well, minimum wage has increased since then), you really appreciate the privilege of being able to sit down at a desk job for $50-60K a year.
+ 1 , I think the first time I stood for 8 hrs, I came home that day and my legs were shaking from fatigue that night.

You think beign a cashier at walmart is bad? I used to work for an amusement park selling tickets and it was worst because our shifts weren't even 8 hrs! It depended on how good buisness was that day so you 're not really guaranteed a set income.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1099 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
GreyingJay wrote:
Jun 24th, 2010 5:19 pm
+1

I've become even more grateful and humble over the years as I have worked part-time, minimum wage in retail for the past 7 years. Securing my first real full-time job in my field now that I've graduated will just be all the more rewarding! :)
× < >