• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2015 6:21 pm
[OP]
Jan 9, 2007
16 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

$200 VISA Gift Card Limit at Rexall?

So today I went to my local Rexall in downtown Toronto to purchase 3 $100 VISA Gift Cards for family members and was told by the cashier, then the manager, that they would only sell me up to $200.

I asked the manager if this was a corporate or store policy. "My policy." was his terse reply.

I guess the purpose of this post is:

1. to give a heads-up to anyone planning a similar purchase, and
2. to see what you all think is my best course of action is in regards to making an effective complaint—VISA Canada? Rexall? Something else?

I obviously won't be giving this store any more of my business—it's Store #8141 at Queen St. & University Ave., if anyone was wondering.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2024 upvotes
Nowhere
Who needs a heads up? How many people are going to go to that specific store and buy more than $200 in Visa cards. Personally I wouldn't buy any as they are a rip off. Make a complaint to head office and go elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
177 upvotes
acurrie wrote: So today I went to my local Rexall in downtown Toronto to purchase 3 $100 VISA Gift Cards for family members and was told by the cashier, then the manager, that they would only sell me up to $200.

I asked the manager if this was a corporate or store policy. "My policy." was his terse reply.

I guess the purpose of this post is:

1. to give a heads-up to anyone planning a similar purchase, and
2. to see what you all think is my best course of action is in regards to making an effective complaint—VISA Canada? Rexall? Something else?

I obviously won't be giving this store any more of my business—it's Store #8141 at Queen St. & University Ave., if anyone was wondering.
You can do 3 separate transactions of $100 each.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5535 posts
3442 upvotes
a_1_a wrote: You can do 3 separate transactions of $100 each.
I'd have just left the store without buying anything. Buy from somewhere else and file a complaint about the manager.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17319 posts
5221 upvotes
Toronto
Just give cash. What's the point of these visa cards?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5535 posts
3442 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Just give cash. What's the point of these visa cards?
Same as any other gift card people buy.. I don't see the point.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8143 posts
1810 upvotes
Was this because you were paying with a credit card?
Oct 20, 2004
635 posts
151 upvotes
Ottawa
hvwozq wrote: Same as any other gift card people buy.. I don't see the point.
At least gift cards don't have usurious fees and also don't expire unlike credit card gift cards.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5535 posts
3442 upvotes
yaldaren wrote: At least gift cards don't have usurious fees and also don't expire unlike credit card gift cards.
But VISA can be used almost anywhere.
Jan 15, 2008
329 posts
119 upvotes
Hamilton
hvwozq wrote: But VISA can be used almost anywhere.
Cash can be used almost anywhere, too :)

I'm not sure what the stigma is against cash in some social circles, but we should jettison it. Otherwise we are buying gift cards and pre-paid credit cards, which either restrict the gift recipient, or subject the gift purchaser to fees (retailer or credit card company wins, not consumers).

Sometimes** the gift-giving game is quite silly when people just end up giving each other gift cards or gifts with the same value...it's a zero-sum game.

**I do understand that sometimes it's fun to exchange gifts, surprise someone and be surprised, etc. I'm only referring to some situations in which gift exchanges are little more than a chore.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2007
16 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, and thanks for the replies thus far.

For those wondering why I don't just gift cash, the recipients are teenagers who want to buy stuff online. I did want to pay for the gift cards using my own VISA, and realize now that I should have gone to an RBC branch instead, as they are the issuer of my VISA card.

Had I not felt so humiliated in the moment I might have been clever enough to purchase two cards then go right back in line to purchase the third.

Back to my original question, though, the consensus here seems to be that I don't actually have so much to complain about—is that correct? I guess the problem was solved when I walked down the street to a nearby Shoppers and got my gift cards there. They did ask to see my driver's license, but that's a whole other can of worms. ;)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21377 posts
2188 upvotes
acurrie wrote: Hi, and thanks for the replies thus far.

For those wondering why I don't just gift cash, the recipients are teenagers who want to buy stuff online. I did want to pay for the gift cards using my own VISA, and realize now that I should have gone to an RBC branch instead, as they are the issuer of my VISA card.

Had I not felt so humiliated in the moment I might have been clever enough to purchase two cards then go right back in line to purchase the third.

Back to my original question, though, the consensus here seems to be that I don't actually have so much to complain about—is that correct? I guess the problem was solved when I walked down the street to a nearby Shoppers and got my gift cards there. They did ask to see my driver's license, but that's a whole other can of worms. ;)
Why would you feel humiliated? Sounds like social anxiety.

Anyways do report the store. Requiring ID and a transaction caps are against credit card agreements.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8143 posts
1810 upvotes
acurrie wrote: Hi, and thanks for the replies thus far.

Yes requiring ID is a violation of their agreement with MC and VISA, as would be limiting the purchase amount becuase you are using a credit card. prepaid credit cards are athe one exception to the "ID" thing, but at higher amounts then that. At $500 they are required to ask for ID, perhaps the store is confused on that

My experience with complaints has only been with MC, they DO take action. Iv'e had them get Basics to removes signs everywhere about requiring ID to buy gcs, had the local toysrus remove a sign about "may require ID to use a cc" that they had in the game section. And have had MC deal with SDM a couple times over refusing MC during the gift card promotions