Automotive

2001 Grand Am: Slipping Transmission... >> PROBLEM SOLVED

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2006 10:11 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Sep 29, 2002
291 posts
8 upvotes

2001 Grand Am: Slipping Transmission... >> PROBLEM SOLVED

Hi guys,

I own a 2001 Pontiac Grand am (Automatic/V4). I am finding for the past year that I have been having the following problem;

From a stop when I accelerate the car goes through 1st gear no problem but 2nd and 3rd are a mission. Today I looked how far the RPM goes and it reached half way to 3 to go into the 3rd gear. The delay is long, it feels like an manual transmission.

What could the problem be ?

I have a feeling it could be the transmission sensor or something like that. I want to get it checked out but need some recommendations on Transmission places in Toronto (Richmond HIll, Scarborough) area to get the check/job done.

Thank you in advance.
Heatware: sandrasagra :D

FS [TORONTO ONLY] - PMBOK 4TH EDITION $50
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 25, 2003
8809 posts
112 upvotes
Check Engine Light/Service Engine Soon light go on?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 18, 2002
6522 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
Sandrasagra wrote:Hi guys,

I own a 2001 Pontiac Grand am (Automatic/V4). I am finding for the past year that I have been having the following problem;

From a stop when I accelerate the car goes through 1st gear no problem but 2nd and 3rd are a mission. Today I looked how far the RPM goes and it reached half way to 3 to go into the 3rd gear. The delay is long, it feels like an manual transmission.

What could the problem be ?

I have a feeling it could be the transmission sensor or something like that. I want to get it checked out but need some recommendations on Transmission places in Toronto (Richmond HIll, Scarborough) area to get the check/job done.

Thank you in advance.
OK, do you 'feel' the car accelerating when the rpm needle goes up or is it just free revving?? If it's revving freely and you are unable to associate increase in rpm with increase in speed then it sounds like your transmission is slipping.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Sep 29, 2002
291 posts
8 upvotes
ichpen wrote:OK, do you 'feel' the car accelerating when the rpm needle goes up or is it just free revving?? If it's revving freely and you are unable to associate increase in rpm with increase in speed then it sounds like your transmission is slipping.

I feel that the speed doesn't increase even though the rpm does... so your second point !

My transmission is slippin.... what should I do ? Like bring it to a transmission shop ? (any recommendations) or go to my dealer ? I am a student, so very new to this stuff, but would like to hear your recommendation.

Slippn Transmission
Heatware: sandrasagra :D

FS [TORONTO ONLY] - PMBOK 4TH EDITION $50
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Did you check the most basic thing - fluid level. Normally you check after car fully warmed up and transmission in park on a level surface. Consult your owners manual.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 9, 2004
1784 posts
8 upvotes
Oshawa
Honestly? Take it to a dealer.
It will take them less than 1 hr with the Tech2 unit to diagnose the problem, a tranny shop will soak you. Conversely: Do not get GM to do the work, THEY will soak you :)

For example: I bought a '98 Z24 early this year and came to find its tranny(auto) was completely fubar'd. I took it to GM for diagnosis only and they nailed the problem well under an hour and only charged me half rate. Joke was they estimated the job for full replacement and install to be well north of $3500.
I ended up purchasing a used transmission for $200 and getting it installed for $400. Keep this in mind and if you need help finding a tranny PM me.
Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
also try disconnecting the battery for a while to reset ECU

and reconnect it

its something worth a try to see if its the ECU thats settings things wrong
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2005
5625 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
tryt changing the tranny fluid.

very small cost and I've seen it solve problems

:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 18, 2002
6522 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
Sandrasagra wrote:I feel that the speed doesn't increase even though the rpm does... so your second point !

My transmission is slippin.... what should I do ? Like bring it to a transmission shop ? (any recommendations) or go to my dealer ? I am a student, so very new to this stuff, but would like to hear your recommendation.

Slippn Transmission
Well, if you've never changed the tranny fluid now would be a good time to start. Expect to pay somewhere in the region of $120 for a complete flush. That's probably a good start. Be weary of tranny shops (especially ones you've never been to), often as another said, they will soak you for the diagnosis then slap you with a bill for a rebuild or tranny swap. If you refuse to pay they'll still demand payment for the diagnosis.

Check your fluid levels. Check the condition of the fluid. Tranny fluid swap would be your safest and cheapest start unless you know a mechanic who can give it a quick free inspection.

Prepare yourself for the worst (i.e. tranny swap) which can be ridiculously expensive unless you can source a used/rebuilt tranny (scrap yards are pretty good at that). If worst happens and you cannot find a cheap tranny then you have to make a decision whether you're willing to pay 2k+ for a new one or scrap the car.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
If you're a member of CAA, you can ask them for a trusted place. If anything goes wrong or you get hosed, you can talk to them and they will correct it.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Sep 29, 2002
291 posts
8 upvotes
UPDATE:

I got my transmission oil replaced and the problem has pretty much dissappeared.

Thanks for all the helps guys.
Heatware: sandrasagra :D

FS [TORONTO ONLY] - PMBOK 4TH EDITION $50
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 25, 2003
8809 posts
112 upvotes
I believe the unit on that car is a sealed unit with no dip stick.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I only heard of sealed transmission on high end Mercedes or BMW.
× < >

Top