[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1673 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa

2003 325i - should I buy?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/otta ... nFlag=true

pretty much my dream car, but they dont' make that body anymore obviously. I wouldn't cry if it crapped out in 1-2 years, but i'll use it sparingly as I have a motorcycle too.

also, what should I look for when he comes to show me the car?

thanks!
21 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15804 posts
3578 upvotes
Toronto
Kms are very high for a BMW. Make sure this doesn't become a nightmare.
Nov 24, 2014
299 posts
273 upvotes
Windsor, ON
I would stay away. It's nice to have a BMW, but a 13 year old BMW with high mileage is basically a great way to set your wallet on fire.

Repairs will cost A LOT. Even if you go to an independent garage, which I recommend (particularly with older, out of warranty vehicles) that has reasonable labor costs, the cost of parts is going to be awful.

It's 13 years old, so some components that you might need down the road will be found in junk yards where some of these models will have ended up, but that's going to be a rarity. You'll eventually be forced to buy parts through a dealership, and when that day comes you'll wish you had a time machine so you could go back and not buy the car.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1657 upvotes
[QUOTE]. No low ballers. Will sell when the time is right and the price is right. No rush. Selling *As Is*. Please email if interested. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I am with the rest. Too expensive to fix and the above text sends all the warning signals. Walk away. There are other cars. :)
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18624 posts
5276 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
If you must have an old luxury car get a Lexus.

Also silver cars... uggghh...... zzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Jan 23, 2010
304 posts
95 upvotes
Hamilton
Add says needs brakes all around. Could be expensive if the calipers are sized in the back and the Emergency brake doesn't work.

This is only a good deal if you are your own mechanic and do your own repairs, otherwise you will spend a few thousand to get this car safe.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1673 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa
everyone's hating... sad.

so what's the process to get this car road-ready? if it's too cumbersome I might not go through with it.

I don't know how to get the car to the garage to fix the brakes, which is needed to pass the safety, which is required for use on the road...

also how much do you think brakes will cost to fix? I'm hoping for around 1k..
Jun 18, 2009
41 posts
21 upvotes
Pierrefonds, QC
Never pay with western union and never agree to buy the car without testing it. There are a lot of scams in kijiji and Craigslist where scammers list a cheap car, then they say they will ship it to you after they receive a western union money order. You pay and then the car never shows up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1673 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa
this guy says he'll drive to my place and let me test drive it, so that's not a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6910 posts
224 upvotes
Port Moody
pace wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 10:42 am
this guy says he'll drive to my place and let me test drive it, so that's not a problem.
I personally would go to his address listed on his DL#, but for al the aggrevation I would not buy the 325
May 14, 2012
372 posts
66 upvotes
PICKERING
Personally if you can't afford to step up to the many available lower mileage ones, I'd wait until you can. I'd personally rather pay more up front and less later in repairs.

BTW his statement "Passed etest on Jan. 28, 2014. Is good for 2 years so until Jan. 28, 2016." needs "unless you buy the car at which time a new e-test will of course be required".
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
292 upvotes
Get it

325i is slow and reliable like a Corolla and don't forget about superior German engineering.

FYI, 2003 Honda s2000 will smoke it