2003 325i - should I buy?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2015 4:24 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 24, 2009
642 posts
260 upvotes
Threads like these is why it took me 2 month to sell my e46. Kids these days would rather drive corrorras. Where are all the new generation enthusiasts?
Nov 24, 2014
299 posts
273 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 1:44 pm
Threads like these is why it took me 2 month to sell my e46. Kids these days would rather drive corrorras. Where are all the new generation enthusiasts?
Kids these days would rather drive something that isn't going to fall apart on them and cost them an arm and a leg to repair. "Legendary German engineering" is a thing of the past. Owning a German car past its warranty is a serious financial liability these days.

Don't get me wrong, there are some seriously beautiful German luxury cars, but if you can't afford a newer one, don't buy a 15 year old one.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39842 posts
3914 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
pace wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 10:28 am
everyone's hating... sad.

so what's the process to get this car road-ready? if it's too cumbersome I might not go through with it.

I don't know how to get the car to the garage to fix the brakes, which is needed to pass the safety, which is required for use on the road...

also how much do you think brakes will cost to fix? I'm hoping for around 1k..
We're not hating. Its true. The brake will cost you $1000. Notice i said brake... Not brakes lol. Having rotors and calipers done all around will set you back at least $2500.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18624 posts
5276 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote:
Why buy that when you can get a 7 series with twice as much mileage and another 5 years older for the same price? That's what short sighted buyers of really old luxury cars are thinking.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1645 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
Why does everyone assume the calipers are seized? The cost of brakes (pads/rotors) won't be much higher than other vehicles.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3915 upvotes
Toronto
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote:
No it's that everyone lives in condos and apartments and doesn't have drive way space to do their own repairs
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5626 posts
1309 upvotes
BC
conix67 wrote:
May 27th, 2015 3:46 pm
Why does everyone assume the calipers are seized? The cost of brakes (pads/rotors) won't be much higher than other vehicles.
Exactly. F & R Pads and rotors for a 3 series is just under a grand at a dealership that participates in VSP (Value Service Pricing).

At a good BMW independent about the same or a bit less - but not using genuine BMW parts.

Guide pins will get cleaned anyway, but any additional extras would be rubber bushings that the pins slide in, the pins themselves if necessary, spring clips, etc.

I've known Hyundai owners who pay more than that for a brake job at the dealer.