• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2010 7:36 am
Tags:
None
Nov 15, 2007
694 posts
219 upvotes

2004 VW Passat Timing Belt Change

I have a 2004 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T at 113k, I call the dealer to see if it needs to replace the timing belt. They told me that it will need to replace the timing belt at 120k and it costs $1600 including the replace of the water pump.

I wonder if this is a reasonable price. I am in Red Deer, AB. I can get the work done in Calgary if necessary.

And anyone know if my car uses a timing belt or timing chain?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1579 posts
58 upvotes
ON
It's belt, not chain.
If possible, buy the parts from the US... VWVortex recommends ecstuning.
Look for a timing belt kit:
Link

gzlwl wrote: I have a 2004 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T at 113k, I call the dealer to see if it needs to replace the timing belt. They told me that it will need to replace the timing belt at 120k and it costs $1600 including the replace of the water pump.

I wonder if this is a reasonable price. I am in Red Deer, AB. I can get the work done in Calgary if necessary.

And anyone know if my car uses a timing belt or timing chain?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
do it yourself
i done it on a few vehicles, fairly easy

and i am nice enough to find you the exact DIY link, i read over it, simple!
anyone who can read and has the tools (most basic mechanic tools, nothing special) can do it

its for 02 1.8T but yours should be same
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2840728

have fun
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2716 posts
1936 upvotes
GTA
tmkf_patryk wrote: do it yourself
i done it on a few vehicles, fairly easy

and i am nice enough to find you the exact DIY link, i read over it, simple!
anyone who can read and has the tools (most basic mechanic tools, nothing special) can do it

its for 02 1.8T but yours should be same
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2840728

have fun
Can you also be nice enough to find me the DIY link for 2002 Honda Accord 4 cylinder? TIA
Nov 15, 2007
694 posts
219 upvotes
I called the dealer in Calgary where I bought the car. They told me they did replace the timing belt at around 90k along with the water pump, so I don't need to replace it for another 100k or 5 years. Then I checked my service records, I found a record shows some parts were replaced in September 2008. But instead of showing the 'timing belt', it shows the following part numbers and names:

1 06B-109-119-F TOOTH BELT
1 06B-109-447-A BELTDAMPER
1 06B-109-243-E TENSIONER
1 06A-121-012-X WATER PUMP

I wonder if 'TOOTH BELT' is the same as timing belt?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
spyhero wrote: Can you also be nice enough to find me the DIY link for 2002 Honda Accord 4 cylinder? TIA
hey buddy

well, i found one for a 2001 accord, and since its same generation I think it will work
these are from a manual, couldnt find much better, and looks like it will be a bit more work than the vw, but possible.

Most probably the hardest part will be the crankshaft bolt, which sometimes is a pain (in mine i had to use a 4 foot long breaker bar and it was hell) but the vehicle was 19 years old :)

and normally you do water pump with timing belt (trust me on it, it is way better spending extra 100 to get waterpump new with gasket and not going through hassle
well heres the links:

timing belt removal
timing belt installation
waterpump

looking over you will need a tool to get rid of crankshaft bolt, or make your own tool. i know partsource you can borrow tools, and an impact might be hard to fit in there. I think you can borrow these tools from partsource to make it easier:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktoo ... _tools.jpg
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktoo ... tool-4.jpg

i haven't ever done it on a honda but it seems easy enough with the right tools
goodluck
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
gzlwl wrote: I called the dealer in Calgary where I bought the car. They told me they did replace the timing belt at around 90k along with the water pump, so I don't need to replace it for another 100k or 5 years. Then I checked my service records, I found a record shows some parts were replaced in September 2008. But instead of showing the 'timing belt', it shows the following part numbers and names:

1 06B-109-119-F TOOTH BELT
1 06B-109-447-A BELTDAMPER
1 06B-109-243-E TENSIONER
1 06A-121-012-X WATER PUMP

I wonder if 'TOOTH BELT' is the same as timing belt?
tooth belt is timing belt, beltdamper is the probably hydraulic pulley (my guess) tensioner is timing belt tension roller and water pump is obvious

i guess your good for another 100k
congrats
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I hate VW's, so ridiculously expensive for parts and repairs. Which is not a good thing considering how often you need to fix them.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
1224 posts
580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sixer wrote: I hate VW's, so ridiculously expensive for parts and repairs. Which is not a good thing considering how often you need to fix them.
hm, try japs when you really have to fix them.
Nov 15, 2007
694 posts
219 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: tooth belt is timing belt, beltdamper is the probably hydraulic pulley (my guess) tensioner is timing belt tension roller and water pump is obvious

i guess your good for another 100k
congrats
Thanks for your info. :)
Nov 18, 2007
558 posts
4 upvotes
Moncton
In this case, it's not the parts that are costly, it's the labour...it's a big job!!!! It's a great idea to change out the water pump at the same time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)