Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
485 posts
18 upvotes
Scarborough

2006 Acura TSX Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

I need to change all brake pads and rotors for a 2006 Acura TSX. Any recommendations?

If I take it to Acura Pickering, I'm sure they will use quality, OEM parts, but is worth it if they will likely overcharge?
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2400 posts
459 upvotes
Winnipeg
someone pls make RFD official Brake Pad and Rotor replcement thread...."
Mar 19, 2015
264 posts
248 upvotes
North York, ON
dainfamous41 wrote:
May 29th, 2016 10:07 am
I need to change all brake pads and rotors for a 2006 Acura TSX. Any recommendations?

If I take it to Acura Pickering, I'm sure they will use quality, OEM parts, but is worth it if they will likely overcharge?
Will a dealer overcharge for labour? Hell yes they will.

You can do it yourself (very simple job, tons of youtube videos) but if you're not inclined to do so, you can pay an indie shop to do this. There's nothing about a pads/rotors job that requires any Acura-specific intel, the brake a a caliper system are common amongst all cars.

When you go to a dealer, they will do a series of check-points to identify more problems that may occur, or be able to point patterned failures see imminent on your car.

You need to decide if it's worth overpaying for them to do that.

That being said, most indie shops will do this for you as well.. They may not be so akin to patterned failures as much as your dealer, but they will be able to observe the obvious.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
485 posts
18 upvotes
Scarborough
So I got 3 quotes so far:

1. Shop #1 - $650 for "good quality parts" as the mechanic described, but not OEM
2. Shop #2 - $780 for OEM Honda Parts and $520 for aftermarket parts
3. Acura Dealer - $960

Which is the best option?
Dec 12, 2007
105 posts
162 upvotes
saint john
Option 4: pads and rotors for four wheels, 200, do it yourself. Easy job.
Mar 6, 2008
449 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa
dainfamous41 wrote:
May 30th, 2016 9:01 pm
So I got 3 quotes so far:

1. Shop #1 - $650 for "good quality parts" as the mechanic described, but not OEM
2. Shop #2 - $780 for OEM Honda Parts and $520 for aftermarket parts
3. Acura Dealer - $960

Which is the best option?
If you aren't handy at all and don't feel confident about doing it yourself, I would just go with the most reputable shop that uses OEM parts and call it a day. That's the easiest and least confusing route if you aren't too knowledgable on the topic. If you want to take the opportunity to use non-OEM parts, you'd be looking into brands like Stop Tech, Hawk, Centric, etc., but do not simply say yes to a car job that uses non-OEM parts unless you know exactly what those parts are, and how good they are.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
485 posts
18 upvotes
Scarborough
Yodums wrote:
May 30th, 2016 9:39 pm
If you aren't handy at all and don't feel confident about doing it yourself, I would just go with the most reputable shop that uses OEM parts and call it a day. That's the easiest and least confusing route if you aren't too knowledgable on the topic. If you want to take the opportunity to use non-OEM parts, you'd be looking into brands like Stop Tech, Hawk, Centric, etc., but do not simply say yes to a car job that uses non-OEM parts unless you know exactly what those parts are, and how good they are.
How much difference is performance would I see between using OEM vs. non-OEM parts?

I drive this car alot and I am thinking long term I do not want any issues.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1544 posts
233 upvotes
Markham
I wouldn't pay for the OEM pads. I used hawk pads and they were far better for stopping and longevity but there was more brake dust. My rotors warped several times and were replaced under warranty while I had it. Once warranty was done I went aftermarket for that too but forgot the brand
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
485 posts
18 upvotes
Scarborough
2K6TSX wrote:
May 30th, 2016 10:47 pm
I wouldn't pay for the OEM pads. I used hawk pads and they were far better for stopping and longevity but there was more brake dust. My rotors warped several times and were replaced under warranty while I had it. Once warranty was done I went aftermarket for that too but forgot the brand
Aren't hawk pads non-OEM? Therefore, you experienced problems with non-OEM parts and are not recommending OEM parts?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1600 posts
532 upvotes
GTA
ahoo99 wrote:
May 30th, 2016 9:19 pm
Option 4: pads and rotors for four wheels, 200, do it yourself. Easy job.
++1
Oct 4, 2010
391 posts
100 upvotes
Surrey
Oem. They are designed, tested, and work for your particular car.
Mar 6, 2008
449 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa
dainfamous41 wrote:
May 30th, 2016 11:06 pm
Aren't hawk pads non-OEM? Therefore, you experienced problems with non-OEM parts and are not recommending OEM parts?
Not sure how that person got his rotors replaced several times under warranty. They're a wear and tear item that usually have very limited warranty. The dealer can always make an exception though, but it's a very rare case, especially when you're over 20000km.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1544 posts
233 upvotes
Markham
dainfamous41 wrote:
May 30th, 2016 11:06 pm
I didn't say I had issues with non-OEM parts. Hawk is non-OEM and I was happy with it. Maybe re-read what I wrote
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1544 posts
233 upvotes
Markham
Yodums wrote:
May 30th, 2016 11:49 pm
Not sure how that person got his rotors replaced several times under warranty. They're a wear and tear item that usually have very limited warranty. The dealer can always make an exception though, but it's a very rare case, especially when you're over 20000km.
Great point. I know they were replaced up until 80,000 km and I guess it was an exception. I didn't even think about it as I clearly recall it being offered to me as an option. I knew one of the guys working there so that likely explains it