• Sep 13th, 2011 10:41 am
Tags:
None
Nov 8, 2009
99 posts
7 upvotes
Burlington

2006 jeep commander leak between rear bearing differential and the input shaft

I am just wondering what is wrong with my 2006 jeep commander.
It started leaking oil between the rear bearing differential and the input shaft, there is no leak at all on the pumpkin . it only leak 1 drop after every time I park it.( I did not drive it over the weekend, It did not leak even 1 drop)
I am just wondering if someone professional could tell me what is going on, and possible solutions. Maybe you can recommend some ethical mechanics around airport area.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1171 posts
135 upvotes
GB auto on renforth south of eglington
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1102 posts
42 upvotes
leakeyweb wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 12:27 pm
I am just wondering what is wrong with my 2006 jeep commander.
It started leaking oil between the rear bearing differential and the input shaft, there is no leak at all on the pumpkin . it only leak 1 drop after every time I park it.( I did not drive it over the weekend, It did not leak even 1 drop)
I am just wondering if someone professional could tell me what is going on, and possible solutions. Maybe you can recommend some ethical mechanics around airport area.

it should be a cheap fix..
just that the seal deteriorates over time
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
the seal is made of rubber and over time will slowly deteriorate.
the seal probably costs under 10 bucks.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2009
99 posts
7 upvotes
Burlington
packardbell wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 2:28 pm
the seal is made of rubber and over time will slowly deteriorate.
the seal probably costs under 10 bucks.

well, i am just wondering if this is something i can DIY myself, or i have to get a real mechanic to look at it.
Apr 1, 2011
2 posts
ETOBICOKE, Ontario
leakeyweb wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 9:21 pm
well, i am just wondering if this is something i can DIY myself, or i have to get a real mechanic to look at it.

Besides...it may not be the seal! Check the vent for a blockage. Your symptoms sound a lot like a blocked vent or crushed vent tube. Now that is a DIY job!

Correct adjustment of the differential pinion requires at the very least a good torque wrench...and on some vehicles requires a compression sleeve, diff gasket and engineers blue to set the correct gear contact pattern.

Get it wrong and... noise, premature wear and absolute disaster if it locks up as it disintegrates. Admittedly that last one is so unlikely you can ignore it...but it does happen!
× < >