None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5255 posts
120 upvotes
Nepean

2007-2008 Vw Gti Dsg

I need some help with information regarding the reliability of this car.
Whats the inside scoop?

1) What are it's downfalls?
2) How much I should be looking to save on purchasing it new?
3) Are there any dealerships I should stay away from?
4) People who have purchased this car, if you do not mind, may I ask what price you paid with which package? (pm)
5) Are there any tips that I should need to know about the car, ie) 'must have' items, warranty etc.

Thank you!
heatware available upon request
90 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
2533 posts
38 upvotes
From what i've heard the DSG gearbox in the Audi TT is really good.

If it's the same in this GTI, then it the gearbox should be amazing. The double-clutch system is very effective.
Luckyinfil wrote:
May 18th, 2010 5:23 pm
No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

UMM HOW i word this... ok u take 20 lbs no lifting for 30lb if guy, so divide 2 u dont sit, u get 10 but for guy it no 30, so 20 would be for guy if u werent a girl ?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
reliability of the DSG itself is not a concern.

but thats the least of your problems with buying a GTI.. it is a VW, it can and will fail on a consistent basis, along with electric and other gremlins and random mysterious failures and rattles and stuff over time.

Family has a 2006 GTI with DSG and its been in the shop quite a few times for various problems that can't be fixed and i have a new 2008 VW Rabbit that has mysterious electrical occurances and its only a month old. but its a VW, so i'm just thankful my window havent fallen down yet.

unless you are totally set on a VW GTI and cant consider another car, run away from any VW. and aviod ANY VW dealership and their service system like the plague assuming you can make it to one during their hours of "disservice". you will get better service from CT :o

definitely consider other cars, again and again and agina before thinking about a VW

common problems excluding the mandatory electrical problems and rattling is the PCV/DV which you should replace
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5255 posts
120 upvotes
Nepean
gilboman wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 6:35 pm

but thats the least of your problems with buying a GTI.. it is a VW, it can and will fail on a consistent basis, along with electric and other gremlins and random mysterious failures and rattles and stuff over time.

Family has a 2006 GTI with DSG and its been in the shop quite a few times for various problems that can't be fixed and i have a new 2008 VW Rabbit that has mysterious electrical occurances and its only a month old. but its a VW, so i'm just thankful my window havent fallen down yet.

unless you are totally set on a VW GTI and cant consider another car, run away from any VW. and aviod the dealership and their service system like the plague. you will get better service from CT :o
WOW.... Well Im hoping that since this car is on its 3rd year of production, they would work out all the problems.

What problems specifically did you have with your 2006 GTI?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3234 posts
49 upvotes
gilboman wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 6:35 pm

unless you are totally set on a VW GTI and cant consider another car, run away from any VW. and aviod ANY VW dealership and their service system like the plague assuming you can make it to one during their hours of "disservice". you will get better service from CT :o

definitely consider other cars, again and again and agina before thinking about a VW

common problems excluding the mandatory electrical problems and rattling is the PCV/DV which you should replace
I can't help but wonder why on earth you have a rabbit? As long as I have seen you on this forum, you have stated your disdain for VW
I have had a Golf for 7 years, and have to say I am having a heck of a time trying to replace it with something else. It is a diesel though, so a bit different.
I have heard the DSG is really good, personally I would stick with a manual. A lot of guys in the tdiclub have had problems with the older auto around the 300K mark, so I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
new_vr wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 8:18 pm
I can't help but wonder why on earth you have a rabbit? As long as I have seen you on this forum, you have stated your disdain for VW
I have had a Golf for 7 years, and have to say I am having a heck of a time trying to replace it with something else. It is a diesel though, so a bit different.
I have heard the DSG is really good, personally I would stick with a manual. A lot of guys in the tdiclub have had problems with the older auto around the 300K mark, so I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the car.

yup...because i needed a compact car that had reasonable power and decent quality of materials... civic si (sedan and coupe) and even mazda 3 are much better choice in performance, value and reliability, but i didnt want a civic cause i'm no longer in high school and its everywhere.

as for the mazda 3, i'm about 3yrs too late to get one and again, everybody that wants a cheap but fun and practical car already has one (which means a lot of ppl i know) so i didnt get it.

so i bought a rabbit since its relatively cheap, and has decent resale so when it turns to junk later and after the warranty is up i can unload to some person who has no clue or does not care about gas milage or reliability.

i've also have quite a bit of exp with VW since lots of frds had MKIV and all of course had nvr ending problems and my dad has a MKV GTI and i know as bad as they are, its not gonna end up with me being in a ditch. just being cold and wet when the windows decide not to work and other annoyances and anything electrical will go wrong.

but the rattles comming from the back area of the rabbit is already annoying me and its less than a month old, but i hope it holds up better than my dad's GTI, that thing rattles like an old russian plane..LOL. i just turn the stereo up, but the radio losing/forgetting my preset stations is quite annoying already as well as the rear wiper comming on out of the blue.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
bpopd wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 6:38 pm
WOW.... Well Im hoping that since this car is on its 3rd year of production, they would work out all the problems.

What problems specifically did you have with your 2006 GTI?
well the rattles and electrical gremlin problems dont get worked out of "VW", they dont behave like regular automakers, just over time, new/different problems get added, not fixed.

i would normally say go on places like vwvortex and golfMKV forums, but you will get incredibly biased answers there, VW fanboys are worse than honda fanboys (well, maybe not worse :lol: ).

but they can tell you and/or you can read about common problems, just dont expect anything impartial if you ask for opinons and all. I highly recommend you lease one though (assuming the rate is not astronoical) if you cant take any other car., then you can give back the car when the lease is up and walk away.

also, find a good mechanic that knows their VW ahead of time, the dealer will be of ZERO help (like i said before, assuming you can visit them during the "diservice" hours.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
The thing with GTI is that it's such a tunable car. Chip it and it'll easily make 50 more ponnies.

But with the DSG you can't do this. Do me this is the only downside to the DSG. Other than that it's a great thing to have.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2004
2507 posts
21 upvotes
chickenbones wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 10:29 pm
The thing with GTI is that it's such a tunable car. Chip it and it'll easily make 50 more ponnies.

But with the DSG you can't do this. Do me this is the only downside to the DSG. Other than that it's a great thing to have.
family friend got a GTI recently. He decided against the DSG because he was told replacing a DSG transmission costed 10,000.
There were some issues when they started, particularly on the A3 if I recall correctly, something wrong with the computer controlling the transmission

But recently, I havent heard much. Check around at www.vwvortex.com
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
malaco0219 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 10:43 pm
family friend got a GTI recently. He decided against the DSG because he was told replacing a DSG transmission costed 10,000.
There were some issues when they started, particularly on the A3 if I recall correctly, something wrong with the computer controlling the transmission

But recently, I havent heard much. Check around at www.vwvortex.com

10 k is ridiculous! Isn't it a $1500 ish option? How could it cost 10K?

Either way, if you what to own a car for a long time, then a manual is always better.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2004
2507 posts
21 upvotes
chickenbones wrote:
Jan 14th, 2008 12:03 am
10 k is ridiculous! Isn't it a $1500 ish option? How could it cost 10K?

Either way, if you what to own a car for a long time, then a manual is always better.
thats wat I was TOLD. I actually dont know

I just know they're ridiculously expensive to fix
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
chickenbones wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 10:29 pm

do it and ur pcv/dv gets blown to pieces faster, VW's fall apart by themselves, mod them and it does its self destruct sequence faster. and never ever under any circustances do any mod to anything that requires wires such as stereo and etc...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5255 posts
120 upvotes
Nepean
VW GTI it is then.

Sounds like a good car.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3470 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
bpopd wrote:
Jan 14th, 2008 10:05 pm
VW GTI it is then.

Sounds like a good car.
LOL!

It's a good fun car to drive, but I would only lease one. ;)
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
bpopd wrote:
Jan 14th, 2008 10:05 pm
VW GTI it is then.

Sounds like a good car.
:lol: i feel sorry for you when you realize what you have done by paying so much for one.

go do yourself a favor and check out the mazdaspeed 3 first. a couple notches above in performance and value and cheaper too
× < >