• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2016 8:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3912 posts
651 upvotes

2007 civc worth fixing the A/C ?

My 2007 civic had the a/c just quit . It was blowing ice cold air . Then it just stopped . I checked some forums and it might be the a/c clutch . Apparently a known issue on this model . If it's just the clutch I imagine it's only 3 to 400 to fix . But if it's the compressor I think about $1100 .

My car has 180k and a warranty replaced engine block at 132k . It's a lx I think . The sunroof model .

I'm hoping to get one more year from this car . It's used for strictly commuting . I think the a/c might be a safety item for the winter for the defrost to work properly .

Is it worth fixing the a/c ?
16 replies
May 6, 2012
91 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary
Perfect timing. I was in this same situation a couple weeks back. However I did not have any option to delay the repair as this is our only car and I want to keep it for a 1-2 years longer. It turned out to be a relay switch. Best advice that I can give you is see if you can find a replacement relay switch from the car wreck yard places in your neighborhood. Some of them them are "pick and pull" so that you go and locate and pull the relay switch from the yard and replace it in yours. It should cost around 10-30 CAD. And its very similar to replacing a small fuse (atleast that is what it looks like). Check if for YouTube videos.

I came to know if it much later and could have saved some $$. Taking it to a mechanic should be around $300 (thats what it cost me).

The relay switch is located in a black box in the front right hand side under to hood (close to the steering). Hope this helps.
pfbmgd wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 8:24 am
My 2007 civic had the a/c just quit . It was blowing ice cold air . Then it just stopped . I checked some forums and it might be the a/c clutch . Apparently a known issue on this model . If it's just the clutch I imagine it's only 3 to 400 to fix . But if it's the compressor I think about $1100 .

My car has 180k and a warranty replaced engine block at 132k . It's a lx I think . The sunroof model .

I'm hoping to get one more year from this car . It's used for strictly commuting . I think the a/c might be a safety item for the winter for the defrost to work properly .

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3912 posts
651 upvotes
Mailtms wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 11:42 am
Perfect timing. I was in this same situation a couple weeks back. However I did not have any option to delay the repair as this is our only car and I want to keep it for a 1-2 years longer. It turned out to be a relay switch. Best advice that I can give you is see if you can find a replacement relay switch from the car wreck yard places in your neighborhood. Some of them them are "pick and pull" so that you go and locate and pull the relay switch from the yard and replace it in yours. It should cost around 10-30 CAD. And its very similar to replacing a small fuse (atleast that is what it looks like). Check if for YouTube videos.

I came to know if it much later and could have saved some $$. Taking it to a mechanic should be around $300 (thats what it cost me).

The relay switch is located in a black box in the front right hand side under to hood (close to the steering). Hope this helps.
pfbmgd wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks will do . I don`t really use the a/c much .But for the defrost in the winter I think I need it .
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11911 posts
1684 upvotes
could be a relay. mine died on a 2004 accord
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3912 posts
651 upvotes
I have a crv too .I`ll pull the fuse from it and try it in the civic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3912 posts
651 upvotes
Tried the fuse from my CRV with no luck .
Apr 4, 2012
241 posts
118 upvotes
Laval, Que
Is the clutch engaged and spinning when you have the AC on. IF so it's probably the compressor (or low of refrigerant).

If the clutch is not spinning when the AC is on, a "quick and dirty way" to check the clutch is to take a metal rod (or a stick), and safely tap the clutch and see if engages (spins). If the AC then works, then the clutch need to be replaced...........or if your willing and handy and will willing to try a getto fix, you can remove the clutch (only one bolt) and then carefully remove the spacer and reattach the clutch and hopefully that will be enough to allow the coil to engage the clutch again
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3912 posts
651 upvotes
gophia wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 8:49 pm
Is the clutch engaged and spinning when you have the AC on. IF so it's probably the compressor (or low of refrigerant).

If the clutch is not spinning when the AC is on, a "quick and dirty way" to check the clutch is to take a metal rod (or a stick), and safely tap the clutch and see if engages (spins). If the AC then works, then the clutch need to be replaced...........or if your willing and handy and will willing to try a getto fix, you can remove the clutch (only one bolt) and then carefully remove the spacer and reattach the clutch and hopefully that will be enough to allow the coil to engage the clutch again
Had the unit recharged last year . It was blowing cold air on the highway when it just stopped . The compressor is not engaging and I tried to hit it a few times . Some one told me that the belt would have gone if the compressor seized while working .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5930 posts
1599 upvotes
BC
Or, looking on the bright side, the belt could have broken on its own after 9 years (not too likely but not impossible) and the compressor is O.K.

By "pull the fuse" and substituted it from the CR-V you mean you the known problematic relay?

You seem to have had more than your fair share of troubles with a 2007 Civic!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3912 posts
651 upvotes
macnut wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 10:06 pm
Or, looking on the bright side, the belt could have broken on its own after 9 years (not too likely but not impossible) and the compressor is O.K.

By "pull the fuse" and substituted it from the CR-V you mean you the known problematic relay?

You seem to have had more than your fair share of troubles with a 2007 Civic!
Well to be truthful the car has been solid . The block done by Honda on warranty . Brakes at 132k and usual oil and Transmission services . The car has been pretty good . Until this happened . I`m hoping it`s only the clutch . I used a good relay to see if the one in the civic was bad
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5519 posts
1668 upvotes
Space
Fix it and keep driving it for another 5 years. 1100$ seems pretty steep though for the listed repair. Look for a second opinion?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6199 posts
2559 upvotes
Alberta
Is the fan still working? If not, change out the resistor under the glove compartment.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9294 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
repair it, cheaper to repair it since the car is yours! and you have a bew engine in there..
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3912 posts
651 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 10:38 am
Is the fan still working? If not, change out the resistor under the glove compartment.
The fan does turn on . I`m pretty sure it`s the clutch .